Options

Why do my pictures come out like this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I have the 55-200mm VR and I've never pulled off a 1/60 shot at 200mm. I was in the city shooting in the middle of the day and was wondering why my images came out blurry. But as soon as I put it on a tripod or rested against something sturdy, the shots where good again. In that picture, it looks like it was handheld with nothing but the photographer's body supporting the camera.

Some VR lenses work better than others I guess. I feel the motor countering the vibration, maybe 1/60 is too slow a shutter speed for the lense in question. Maybe that motor vibration can cause a little blurriness. I'm pretty sure in the more expensive glass with VR, you don't feel the motor at all.

I'm just saying I wouldn't put the money shot in the hands of VR.

I'm looking on line, and they say it gives you up to 4 stops of stability. And in thise case it was well under that. Maybe we are using it wrong?

Frank, I fully agree with you that a tripod is the accessory that will augment the sharpness of your lenses more than almost anything else, although a good speedlight can come close.

I shoot lots of wildlife from a tripod ( I have several and nothing will replace a tripod), but a good VR lens, rested on a bean bag or a door frame, should get pretty darn good images if carefully triggered. As I said, 1/60th for a 140 VR lens should easily be adequate for a snapshot or an 8x10 image. Maybe not ideal for a 24x 36 in image.

This image is actually about 1/4th of a frame from a 40D shooting with a Tamron non-VR 200-500mm lens resting on a rock. Smugmug says it was 437mm at 1/250th, but I BELIEVE it was a full 500mm because I was using all the zoom I had, and wanted more. The image is a bit grainy at ISO 800, but seems pretty sharp to me. I have a 13 x19 framed picture of it at home

Ziggy's point about letting IS/VR settle in for about 1/2 sec before tripping the shutter is dead on - you must wait with the shutter half depressed, before completing the shutter release.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I should have known ( I did really ) that talking about shooting 500mm IV/VR at 1/125th would raise some folks hackles, but I was careful to include with something to rest against or upon, and I stand by my statement.

No hackles raised here. I'm still learning, but I try to jump in and get my $0.02 in. :D
    pathfinder wrote:
    I did not say that the image would be as good as a well secured lens on a tripod at 1/1000th might capture - just that in capable hands, 1/125th ( 2 stops 1/500th -> 1/250th -> 1/125th ) is doable at 400 or 500mm.

This is a skill I need to work on. Especially the soft shutter release. I have a BAD habit of snapping the release expecting the shutter to be fast enough to capture anything. rolleyes1.gif I'm actually surprised when the shutter stays one for 2 or 3 seconrd when taking a shot at dusk. eek7.gif

I had a look at some of your wildlife shots... bowdown.gif
    geoff
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    No hackles raised here. I'm still learning, but I try to jump in and get my $0.02 in. :D

Happy to have you join in the fun. I want everyone to feel welcome, and offer their insights as well. I just know that there are lots of different ways to skin a catthumb.gif Even though we may not all agree, everyone should feel free to try and experiment for themselves.

This is a skill I need to work on. Especially the soft shutter release. I have a BAD habit of snapping the release expecting the shutter to be fast enough to capture anything. rolleyes1.gif I'm actually surprised when the shutter stays one for 2 or 3 seconrd when taking a shot at dusk. eek7.gif

I had a look at some of your wildlife shots... bowdown.gif

Some shutters are easier to trip smoothly than others. There are several ways one can hold a camera with more than just their hands that helps stabilize it while gently rolling your finger onto the shutter release. A bean bag can do wonders too.

As for wildlife, I shoot most of those with a tripod with a gimbal head if the critters allow me the time to get set up, but not all.

You can't tell tripod use from exif data, only the shooter knows.

• Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Okay. I just saw this thread. One thing you didn't tell us is what software are you using to process these images? Are they NEF files processed by Capture NX2 or PS CS3 or 4?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I think Ziggy just answered everyone's questiong. We are not giving enough time for the computer to calculate the change. I'll try giving it a second before I fully press the shutter.

Pathfinder, your shots are amazing blurry or not. LoL. All I can get in the Bronx are pigeons lol.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Happy New Year, Frankthumb.gif

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Happy New Year, Frankthumb.gif

Hahahaha! Same to you. Let's see what this New Year brings. Good luck, and I hope you and your loved ones have a great year!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    If you are finding shakyness from hard release pushing....
    I have found that to increase my soft touch on the shutter release all I needed to do was start shooting semi heavy hand guns again.....as in 44mag.....squeezing the trigger is a lot like pushing on the shutter release....both are normally your index finger and normally the same index finger for both applications......you can actually do a lot of good by just squeezing the trigger either with no...absolutely no ammo or snap caps loaded in....snap caps are a wonderful invention to save wear on the firing mechanism of a revolver.....forthis to work it does need to be a double action pistol (revolver) as I am not aware of any semi auto that will cycle with anything other than a charged load.
    For me I get a better feel out of a pistol like a 44mag over a 22 or even a 38..... .357 isn't bad either....

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have found that to increase my soft touch on the shutter release all I needed to do was start shooting semi heavy hand guns again.....as in 44mag.....squeezing the trigger is a lot like pushing on the shutter release....both are normally your index finger and normally the same index finger for both applications......you can actually do a lot of good by just squeezing the trigger either with no...absolutely no ammo or snap caps loaded in....snap caps are a wonderful invention to save wear on the firing mechanism of a revolver.....forthis to work it does need to be a double action pistol (revolver) as I am not aware of any semi auto that will cycle with anything other than a charged load.
    For me I get a better feel out of a pistol like a 44mag over a 22 or even a 38..... .357 isn't bad either....

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Art is not kidding when he says he's a shooter! OOOOOOHHHH! Take some sexy pics of the 44 mag! Can't wait! I'll be looking for it in the big picture!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter