Options

Canon 35mm f2

eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in Accessories
Does anyone have any experience with the Canon 35mm f2? Particularly interested in experiences on a full frame body. I've heard some people say they really like the focal length (35mm) on a full frame body. How does it compare to the 35L 1.4?

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I just purchased this lens for my 40D based on reviews I'd read on it. Can't help you much with information on how it functions on a full frame camera, though. ne_nau.gif

You might be able to find something on the Fred Miranda site on how that lens functions on a full frame camera and compares to a 35 L 1.4.

One thing that seemed consistent about this lens in the reviews I'd read was that the pictures come a bit pale in terms of saturation, so you may need to do some tweaking in Photoshop to get the effect you want.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    The reviews I read on fredmiranda were pretty favorable. The overall consensus was that if you *need* f1.4 then the 35L 1.4 is the way to go (obviously), but otherwise the f2 does very well in terms of sharpness and will produce very comparable results for much less $.

- Steve
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    eichert12 wrote:
    The reviews I read on fredmiranda were pretty favorable. The overall consensus was that if you *need* f1.4 then the 35L 1.4 is the way to go (obviously), but otherwise the f2 does very well in terms of sharpness and will produce very comparable results for much less $.

- Steve
    15524779-Ti.gif Precisely!
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=122&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=121

Here's a comparison tool using crops from both lenses at apertures f1.4 to f16 shot on a 1dsIII. This site's reviews are also a reliable source of info thumb.gif

To save you some reading, he considers the 35 f2 a good budget option for a 1.6x sensor, but due to corner softness doesn't reccomend it for full frame.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Thanks for the link (and quick summary), very helpful! I've checked out a lot of reviews on that site previously but had forgotten about it so thanks for reminding me! :)

Cheers,
    Steve