Options

Inauguration Day 2009 shootout?

Comments

• Options
    firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I am far out in the country, but can put someone up in the guest room as long as they don't mind dogs. And I think my hubby and I will be gone that weekend so you could have the house to yourself.
  • Options
    CayuseCayuse Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I'll be there. Probably on the mall in the crowds. We're staying at the Sheraton and I will probably try to get a place to stand while it is still dark outside or as early as they'll let us into the area.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    In.
    Out :(

Dammit.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    FoxNews this morning was saying that at this point, if you don't plan on already being in the city the day before, you're only way of getting in will be to swim across the Potomac.

Good luck to you all, looking forward to seeing some photos from our own thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    out.

sheesh...my idea, too.

sorry.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Sewyew wrote:
    any left ?

Sorry. Yes! I still have four: Completely worthless tickets!

The National Park Service via the Secret Service decided they had to close the Monument that day...They sent me an e-mail canceling my tickets.

interestingly, when they sent yet another e-mail, I finally figured out what they were saying headscratch.gifand visited the Website. They were even then still reserving and selling you tickets for a canceled event.

So yeah, I got four mementos of a non-event!

My plans now...if I continue to feel up to it is to go, but with a reduced visible aspect. I cannot see myself being in the throngs of crowds with such a small bag as allowed. 8x6x4 inches!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:

My plans now...if I continue to feel up to it is to go, but with a reduced visible aspect. I cannot see myself being in the throngs of crowds with such a small bag as allowed. 8x6x4 inches!

cheers, tom

Sorry to hear the tickets got canceled. You mentioned the bag size, i know that's the case for the parade route and for ticketed people gut haven't seen anything for people that will be on the mall, does that size apply there as well?
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    FoxNews this morning was saying that at this point, if you don't plan on already being in the city the day before, you're only way of getting in will be to swim across the Potomac.

Good luck to you all, looking forward to seeing some photos from our own thumb.gif

Yeah, I'm in NoVa and my condo board sent me a list of road closures for the day--there is no way to approach by vehicle from VA that day. There will be a few routes from MD. Road closures begin at 2am. If the Metro were running at that hour, that's when I'd go in. It's going to be crazy. 4 million people on the mall... eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Oh, and I'm still in. Staying on the waterfront the night before and walking over for the day. If you feel like trying to find me among the crowd, let me know. :D
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Cayuse wrote:
    Sorry to hear the tickets got canceled. You mentioned the bag size, i know that's the case for the parade route and for ticketed people gut haven't seen anything for people that will be on the mall, does that size apply there as well?

Nah! Thats just the secure areas: Parade route and the Dais.

My intention now, if I still have the nerve to show will be to do the early bird thing. Amazing the road closures start at 2 a.m., Amazing!

I still haven't decided if I can realistically expect to be able to get aboard a Metro THE morning OF. If not I'll have to ride my bike or walk the five miles.

Still thinking~

tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    I still haven't decided if I can realistically expect to be able to get aboard a Metro THE morning OF. If not I'll have to ride my bike or walk the five miles.

Arriving when service starts at 4am may increase your chances. mwink.gif
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    I'll be there.
    I'm going intending to make a day of it. I have no seats or tickets, just going to be there and see if I can document the moment.

I'm thinking one body but...

10/22 or 17/55 2.8 or 17/85 kit or take the 70-200?

I'm thinking 17/85 with a flash?

I'll be spending the night before in my wife's office on 18th st. :)
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    For those who are going and have iPhones, check out the free app "Inauguration Report". It's for a "collaborative journalism project" with NPR, CBS, and American University.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    I would just say a simple out, but can't.

After having several differing motivations detoured due to security, I cannot pull the motivation back to find anything else I want to shoot.

Not being able to even get on the Mall before 7 a.m. was the final blow for me.

I see where they are planning on many many folks, but nothing I have read says WELCOME!

out, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Well I was IN for this until I read this thread. Security has gotten even more ridiculous since i went in 2004(but I was a protester then, letting the eggs of freedom fly)...

I'm not sure I want to do this and risk getting injured by folks or getting my gear broken or stolen. It only takes a moment of pointing your camera in the wrong direction to piss someone off who might be there to cause problems.

if 4 million folks are expected at the mall I think I'll pass, my only option is to take the metro and during NORMAL rush hour that's not a good look, but there are those that still have to work in DC and then all of us yahoos who want to get down there.

I'll tell you, last time, the lines were already in place at metro stations to get down when services started... It sounds like it's going to be even more insane this time around.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Man i heard 2 million people are going to attend the ceremony that is going to be a great event.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    Yes, it's going to be insane. I'm an extremely introverted person, and I'm betting I get annoyed and taxed after five minutes being there. But, in the end, it's such a historic event that I'm going to be there just to be there. Any photos I get will be cake...with buttercream frosting. :eat
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yes, it's going to be insane. I'm an extremely introverted person, and I'm betting I get annoyed and taxed after five minutes being there. But, in the end, it's such a historic event that I'm going to be there just to be there. Any photos I get will be cake...with buttercream frosting. :eat

$150 million for this "historic event" im sure we will all get taxed....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    :giggle
  • Options
    alluiciousalluicious Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2009
    just curious...how are you all getting there? are you seriously taking the metro with the rest of the mob? are there places in DC that will be open all night? I am considering going, but don't want to be in the mass of people coming from out of town. how are you doing it????
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Not sure is this has been covered, but be aware that no tripods, no monopods, or camera bags are allowed near the area.

Prohibited list
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Sad I'm not there. :cry I just heard a report in the news that they think this will be the "largest event in our nations history"...pretty big statement eek7.gif

I look forward to seeing the photos (if anyone was able to get a camera in)
    Andrew

• Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    I'm getting ready to head down there. Might have some photos uploaded tonight depending on how the day goes.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009

I believe each of the conventions was more. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Waiting for amazing photographs. Lets see if i can see dgrinners on TV. Have funmwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009

Aaron:

First - you're quoting from an AP reporter whose article has since been debunked as false.

Second - let's keep this discussion on photography and visiting DC

thumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    ya everyone lets keep this about photog & DC....shall we?

Angelo, i guess im allowed one reply? not sure who i was quoting.... but eitherway i doubt there is anyway to really track cost... doesnt all the money just come off the money tree and the harvest is seasonal?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    WHERE ARE THE PITCHAS? eek7.gif I WANT THE PITCHAS! deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    WHERE ARE THE PITCHAS? eek7.gif I WANT THE PITCHAS! deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Kerrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! And anyone else who braved the mobs, let's hear it! :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Kerrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! And anyone else who braved the mobs, let's hear it! :D

Did you see those crowds? It's going to take them hours to get back to their hotels.

I watched it all on the Web. Pretty damn impressive.