Options

#18 low key possibilities

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is a couple from a shoot today. Exicuted some of the things suggested in my last post. I like the results of both of these. What do you think?

1. Isolation....
464115125_YDmWD-L.jpg

464115120_SqZpS-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Composition of #1, color of #2
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I really like these a lot. They are more emotional than the first set you put up. I like the top one the best. Great job!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I really like these a lot. They are more emotional than the first set you put up. I like the top one the best. Great job!

15524779-Ti.gif 100% .... :)
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Wow, I have to go just the opposite ... I'm really put off with the comp in #1 but prefer the #2 to be black/white. I like the comp in #2 best but it needs a bit more drama in the lighting.

By the way, are you guys ready for the volcano up there ... I'd be planning a photo trip soon :)
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Oh, #1 is awesome. There's something slightly creepy about it, which appeals to me greatly. :D
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I also like these better than the first ones you had. Torn between the two - like the mood, blk/wht and serious look of 1 but like the crop on 2.
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    I have to tell you all. This was a hard shoot. As you can see from my advitar...this lil one of mine always has a smile on her face. She is a naturally happy child and always has been. So inbetween giggles she would give me this "moody" look I asked her to give. When I downloaded them to my computer and really looked at these....I felt my throat tighten up as she looked so isolated and sad. Thus why I named the first one isolated and put the added background to solidify it.

Now I have to ask...do you think that on the first one that the left side might be a tad too dark with her arm totally missing till it gets to the hand? I had a reflector to pick up some light for her eye one that side...but because her shirt was maroon in color, it did not pick up any of that light. I might revisit that one in post editing to see if I can somehow get a hint of substance there.

I like the second one too...the sepia is different...but might be a bit strong. But it doesn't show the emotion of the first one as she was trying so hard not to giggle!

Thank you all for looking and commenting! I really do appreciate your time and imput.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Very, very nice. I love the first one. I like the use of negative space - it goes with her moody expression. I also love the facial expression and the position of the hands. I don't mind the missing arm. I'll bet you are going to treasure these photos of your normally smiley daughter.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I love the first one. It looks like an advertisement for a spooky movie. nice work

peace, gail
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    The first one. I love its creepiness. thumb.gif

If you wanted to enhance the moodiness, you might try fixing her hair so that is looks straggly and applying a little makeup to her face to make it look pale and gaunt but not so much that she appears more dead than alive -- just a touch.
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    #1 for sure Jag! The sepia and blue eyes don't work for me in the second one. If you could find a way to brighten the face up a tweak in the first one, it would be a great contender as well as a wall hanger.

The title is half the image, and you nailed it. Great comp and lighting.

***Edit***

I loved the first one so much, it reminded me of one of the games I used to play a while back. If you could produce something like this, I'd say you have a great chance of winning!

Disclaimer: This is not my photograph.

desk_PAalma1600.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    Well....after reading the response here I might have missed the mark of what I was going for. I was going for the loneliness that some children in this world have....even in America. Both parents working and they come home from school alone. Had I of thought about it I would have put a key on a string around her neck. Isolation could be a homeless child who has nothing but a corner to sit in the darkeness. Alone and afraid.

I really wasn't going for freaky, scary stuff. Just the feeling of lonliness and isolation of a small child. Sad.

I will be rethinking this.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Well....after reading the response here I might have missed the mark of what I was going for. I was going for the loneliness that some children in this world have....even in America. Both parents working and they come home from school alone. Had I of thought about it I would have put a key on a string around her neck. Isolation could be a homeless child who has nothing but a corner to sit in the darkeness. Alone and afraid.

I really wasn't going for freaky, scary stuff. Just the feeling of lonliness and isolation of a small child. Sad.

I will be rethinking this.

I do think you've captured exactly that - that is, in fact, what makes it so creepily powerful to me. In fact, I'm so happy to know that you grabbed them between fits of the giggles because as the parent of a young child, that kind of body language and look was quite gut-wrenching to see! I"m not surprised it made you choke up - it would any parent. You clearly have a strong little actress on your hands, because she nails it!! :D

I think these are very powerful and capture not only low key light, but the broody, moody atmosphere which is often associated with the technique. I think they're emotionally strong thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I seem to be the only one who LOVES number 2! love the color, the pose, the eyes... ne_nau.gif to me it's more "low key" than 1.. just my 2 centsclap.gif
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    I seem to be the only one who LOVES number 2! love the color, the pose, the eyes... ne_nau.gif to me it's more "low key" than 1.. just my 2 centsclap.gif

For #2 to work, well atleast for me, I would make the shot duo tone, not tri tone. And I would clone out the toes. They are very distracting. But in regards to winning. #1 would be her strongest entry. To date, in my opinion.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    Actually number two is a monotone shot straight from the camera under the setting of monotone/sepia. The only thing I did to this image is bump the contrast and added a little bit of dodge brush to the eye. No color. Just the dogde brush opacity was set for something like 30 and it came out grey toned...which because of the sepia tone it look blue I guess. Even though I like this image...because she was on the vurge of smiling I didn't feel it meet what I had in mind.

I agree about the toes being distracted. But I didn't do much to the image. It was just a demo of sepia toning in low key. Unfortunately I can not get the same results to the top one with sepia toning post processing. It just doesn't look the same as what the camera captures.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    To me #1 nailed the isolation feeling. I don't find it creepy at all. Just heart wrenching because no matter how happy our child is, we know that sooner or later she will experience moments of deep sadness and isolation. To me, that is what gives it its emotional punch.

Of course, people see different things in photos and once we unleash our vision on the world, others may not experience it the way we intended. Overall, I think it is probably a plus for the strength of the photo that viewers see it differently.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Yup- #1!!!!

I love the crop you did as well... It is VERY moving.
    Nice job Joyce!
  • Options
    leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I like the first one. She is lit on her left side then the light gradually drops off and she melts in to the darkness. Her right arm being in darkness helps this effect. Her expression continues the moodiness of the image. The title completes the effort. Great job! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I like #2, also. I think all the negative space really adds to the mood. Her body language is perfect in this- you could have an actress on your hands. My 12 year old daughter, who is quite intellectual and mature and has great taste, saw this photo in the entry thread and it really caught her attention. It's her favorite so far.

Caroline
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Number 1 is my favorite too, I do think it conveys loneliness/isolation, it may work even better if the subjects eyes weren't looking directly at the camera and were downcast perhaps? Either way, I think you captured what you were going for.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thank you all for looking and commenting. I did bump the lightness just a tad (but really not much) and have entered the first one. Unless I come up with something even better I will keep this one there.
  • Options
    Pistis SophiaPistis Sophia Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2009
    The Shadow
    1. Isolation....

I like how you displayed the shadow in your first portrait. It gives a clear definition of the statement of the title of your picture.

Not sure I liked the second tho. Gotta think abt. it.

464115125_YDmWD-L.jpg

464115120_SqZpS-L.jpg[/quote]