Options

Los Angeles Twilight Panorama

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey guys- Here is a panorama I took this evening of LA (one can see the downtown area, the observatory and the ocean). I used a D700 with a Nikon 80-200/2.8 lens. Total 21 shots stitched together. Thanks for looking.

465342610_Sof9Q-O.jpg

And this is one a few minutes earlier
===========================

465747182_RDViA-O.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Beautiful colors. I almost missed most of the pano by not scrolling toward the right.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    Fantastic, Nikhil!! thumb.gifthumb

Was that 21 frames, single row, vertical camera orientation?

Great work here.
    -joel
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Very awesome pano, Nikhil!! clap.gif

Baldy should be calling soon for an assist with the SF Pano!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    pvrsvarmapvrsvarma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Wow, What a perfection!

TFS

Cheers!
    P V R S Varma

www.pvrsvarma.com
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Fantastic, Nikhil!! thumb.gifthumb

Was that 21 frames, single row, vertical camera orientation?

Great work here.
    -joel

Thanks Joel- yeah it was 21 frames, single row, vertical. I don't have the multi-row pano gear (I bought the RRS Omni- Pivot Pro, but am gonna return it as there is some leveling problem while panning). I think for now the tripod will suffice and PTGui does a great job of stitching.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thanks Chris, PV and Tisun
    it was such a clear day and I was debating whether or not I wanted to hike up all the way. I am glad I went. :D

Cheers,
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Wow, that is a fantastic image. thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    absolutely amazing!!! clap.gif
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Stunning, amazing!bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Magnificent. That would be one heck of a wall hanger. How long is the hike from the parking lot to this location?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Magnificent. That would be one heck of a wall hanger. How long is the hike from the parking lot to this location?

Cuong

Thnx Cuong- It is around maybe 3/4 of a mile hike to where one starts getting good vantage points. If you keep walking you can go all the way up (should be a mile to a mile and a quarter) to the viewpoint from where the views are fantastic (you also pass Dante's View on the way which is great). The reason I chose this lower viewpoint was that I don't have a multi-row pano rig- it would have thus been very difficult to take a pano while aiming the camera down from the endpoint (from where you can see even the Hollywood sign). Someday when I get my multi-pano gear, I will take a 270 degree pano from there. :D

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thx
    Bryan, Brian and Summerz. It was a really clear night as I mentioned earlier. Could see all the way to Catalina and LB.

Cheers,
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Awesome! I just upgraded my monitor from 19" to 26" and I *still* can't view the whole thing :cry

The good thing about doing 21-exposure panos at sunset is by the time you're done with the 21st shot you can start shooting the sunrise version lol3.gif

Reminds me (as things often do) of that Lyle Lovett song "And the lights of LA County, look like diamonds in the sky."

Anyway, both shots are fantastic. It's really good that you continue to shoot at the same places (Death Valley, this view point) instead of thinking "been there, done that" like a lot of photographers get in the habit of doing. Every day is different, and with a scene like this, it's worth going back to catch all the different permutations.
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Never been to LA - only passed through the airport a few times - landing at night is quite a sight. #1 brings back those memories - fantastic clarity.clap.gif Someone mentioned it would make a good wall hanging, I agree - but it would need to be a pretty big wall !:D

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Awesome! I just upgraded my monitor from 19" to 26" and I *still* can't view the whole thing :cry

The good thing about doing 21-exposure panos at sunset is by the time you're done with the 21st shot you can start shooting the sunrise version lol3.gif

Reminds me (as things often do) of that Lyle Lovett song "And the lights of LA County, look like diamonds in the sky."

Lol - my concern was that the light would change by the time I got to the last frame (as each one was around 6 or so seconds). It worked out in the end.

Not sure where I want to go for President's Day weekend! Death Valley beckons again, but then it might be fun to drive along the PCH and get some nice sunrise/ sunset shots. Ah decisions! decisions! eek7.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Never been to LA - only passed through the airport a few times - landing at night is quite a sight. #1 brings back those memories - fantastic clarity.clap.gif Someone mentioned it would make a good wall hanging, I agree - but it would need to be a pretty big wall !:D

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard. The view from certain areas of LA are just great.

BTW this pano's dimensions are 36172 px X 3602 px (It would have been bigger but I had to crop out some of the sky for compositional purposes).

Cheers,
  • Options
    speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    love the pano not many colors not that vibrant,doesn't pop out at you.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    speedsk8r wrote:
    love the pano not many colors not that vibrant,doesn't pop out at you.

So I assume that you did not like it (as you mention that it's not vibrant and is not popping out). Well, I really can't do much about the colors (it is what it is), but it does look okay to me, which is why I shot it.

Thanks for your comments though- it's good to hear the other side too. :D

Cheers,
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    I never EVER get tired of seeing this shot, no matter what the weather! LA has one of the most captivating skylines, I think, or maybe the right term is "cityscapes." Whatever it is, the combination of uber-urban and natural beauty is perplexing, but it goes well.

Have you tried something like a split ND grad filter? In the first shot the sky is a bit overexposed, and I'm sure there was more color in it in real life. And in the second shot the city looks a bit underexposed. Of course you can do just as much in post using adjustment layers. Just my two cents. thumb.gif

(I don't have a set of filters myself so when I attempt to shoot this shot myself i'll be going the latter route)

Fan-friggin'-tastic, Nik! Keep showing us your great panos. :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Have you tried something like a split ND grad filter? In the first shot the sky is a bit overexposed, and I'm sure there was more color in it in real life. And in the second shot the city looks a bit underexposed. Of course you can do just as much in post using adjustment layers. Just my two cents. thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback Schmoo. I don't carry a set of filters either (except the CP) and haven't really delved into PS adustment layers. I guess I will have to try it out, now that you mention it. Will be my weekend project to try and darken the sky. deal.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    That is stunning. Were you up around Griffith?
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    What a spectacular view! The nighttime image is just gorgeous.
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Boy, oh boy! Two of the most impressive panos I'v seen! Fantastic! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 13, 2009
    Fantastic shots. Seeing such a huge city is mind-boggling for someone like me who lives in a small country with small towns (I can't really say that we have cities as our capital only has 300.000 inhabitants. rolleyes1.gif)

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    That is stunning. Were you up around Griffith?

Hi and thanks for the feedback. Yeah these shots were taken from the hikng trail above the observatory. The trails starting point faces the parking lot of the observatory. It's a great hike and the views are wonderful.

Cheers,
  • Options
    wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    The scope of this photo is awesome. It appears to me this should be 3 or 4 cities combined. I can't imagine so many people in one small area, but then again, I am a country boy from TN. Don't hold that against me please.
    Good job with both panos. The 2nd is my fav. because of the colors.

wendell
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    That is huge ! mwink.gif
    very nice work Nikhil
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    It's nice, and so wide too. ha ha.
    I'd also like to see the first shot with a slightly warmer tone too.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it, but Awesome work! thumb.gif

I never did make it up that trail as we arrived at Griffith too late that evening (March 28). Next time however I will definitely go there.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug