Options

eShoot | Charlene + Steve (25 pics)

patfureyphotopatfureyphoto Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Weddings
Charlene called me up about a month ago and after talking with her on the phone for less than 5 minutes, she KNEW I had to photograph her wedding (so she says). She's 22 years old and Steve is 23. You can instantly feel the love between 'em.

Shot with a 5D2, 35L, and 85 1.8.

Enough of my rambling - I present you with the lovely Charlene and Steve. :D

2j2yt5f.jpg

1e07dd.jpg

2latsog.jpg

289wzu8.jpg

25qbszc.jpg

4tueds.jpg

2d845so.jpg

ftzwap.jpg

2rw46zs.jpg

11kywlf.jpg

20fxjib.jpg

2rpb31g.jpg

2lx8rh5.jpg

2eovdi1.jpg

24gt37r.jpg

359wmz4.jpg

308k37a.jpg

2e3vat0.jpg

2cdibsx.jpg

2mg8b52.jpg

34oapfq.jpg

108ee84.jpg

2w66i6c.jpg

zmgxw0.jpg

6715z4.jpg

26 (I lied about only 25)
29niknt.jpg

Thanks guys,
Pat

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Wow, really, really nice set! thumb.gif I love the variety of poses and your processing. 1 and 8 are my absolute faves. Great job!
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    nice setclap.gif
    like the ones by the tree the beatclap.gif
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    WOW! I'd hire you.

Her face is so expressive- what a fun bride to shot. He looks pretty comfortable in front of the camera, too.

Caroline
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I really like 10 and 14.
    Looks like a fun happy couple and you capured that well.
    They will be very happy with these.
    Nice work!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Cute, modern, unique, "refreshing", beautiful colors / post processing, crisp ... Well done, love your style Pat clap.gif
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009

Awesome!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Huge thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Not wow for sure....
    WOW for sure!!!! wings.gifthumb.gif :ivar
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    These are great!! clap.gif
    My favs were, 1-love that running shot, 6-love how the sheep looks like he is checking them out, and 14-love the shadow of them on the ground. The rest are really really good but these stood out to me :D
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    These are INCREDIBLE! I just love your style and processing. (Well I did before.... but this just solidifies it!) Amazing stuff!

(I love how the sheep is watching them kiss... cute story there)
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    You guys are all AWESOME.

I'll post up the guest album when it's done!
    (I'm only 19 - school takes a large chunk o' my time)
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Really loving the freshness, vitality, timelessness of your work. thumb.gif

I appreciate how you push the envelope regarding DOF. 5 is a good example...would never think of using the cuff as a focus point but it works so well.

I love the idea of combining the separate individual portraits of them into one image (maybe you didn't intend to do that but rather put two vertical images side-by-side) but it really works for me, very original, sets you apart from the crowd, I think.

11 is my absolute fave, also very impressed with #18.

If I could provide the most humble of crits, I think your bw conversions could use a bit of contrast boost.

Can't wait to see the book you put together. Are you shooting these gorgeous folks' wedding?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Very nice. #8 fav.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great stuff... crisp, clean, fun...

I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of 2 &3 (the ones where the image is actualy two photographs) ... they feel a bit "1995 HTML doesn't know how to put spaces" to me... I think they might be stronger on their own.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great stuff... crisp, clean, fun...

I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of 2 &3 (the ones where the image is actualy two photographs) ... they feel a bit "1995 HTML doesn't know how to put spaces" to me... I think they might be stronger on their own.
    Haha thanks.

About 2 + 3 = they were like that just for the web. The final delivery (album) has one on each side.

Let's say the first image of the two can be called "1" and the second image of the set can be called "2".

[ 1 | 2 ]

I use a lot of negative space and come up with pretty modern albums in print.
  • Options
    digitalmoneydigitalmoney Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2009
    this is super!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Great Job, I like all the different angle's and poses... They look so natural.. Like they are in their own environment...

Nikon D90
    Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
    Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I love these!! You really did a great job capturing their personalities. The composition of #14 is awsome.

She is going to be a great bride to shoot, her face is so expressive. Cant wait to see the wedding shots!

Well Done bowdown.gifclap.gif
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Pat!!! Amazing work brother!! Your lifestyle sessions are outstanding!! I was wondering if you got a chance, if you might be able to give us kind of a walk through on exactly how you do your sessions..like what exactly takes place? Do you just find a location, let your models loose and just follow them with the camera? Or are you choosing posed shots and creating ideas for them? Never been on a lifestyle shoot, just trying to get some insight into how they roll! Thanks for your time bud!! Again...Outstanding Work!! I love it!

Cheers!

-Brandon
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    You never cease to amaze me Pat, I love your work as usual, this is no exception! Another great set :)
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I really have no clue what to say! They are just amazing! I want to learn how to shoot shots like that!!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks a ton for the love.

As far as how the shoots happen, I usually meet with a couple before hand (obviously) to work out the details/booking/friendship side of my shooting.

It's really important, in fact, what is of the most importance to me is forming a lasting relationship and bond with my subjects. I want people to be themselves and feel comfortable. That's paramount. Just kick it, be chill, and make 'em laugh. I've been known to climb trees at times... it's all apart of letting down the guard most photographers have.

I usually pick the location, but my clients also have input. It's pretty important to me, so unless I know the area, I like to scout it before hand for good light/location.

Direction wise, I pretty much guide them along - I'll have them pose in ways which seem natural and un-posed, and after a few frames most couples generally get the concept and run with it. It's just laid back, fun, and casual.

Enough ramblin' on my part... Heh.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Very cinematic and fresh in both composition/posing and processing. Very, very cool.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks a ton for the love.

As far as how the shoots happen, I usually meet with a couple before hand (obviously) to work out the details/booking/friendship side of my shooting.

It's really important, in fact, what is of the most importance to me is forming a lasting relationship and bond with my subjects. I want people to be themselves and feel comfortable. That's paramount. Just kick it, be chill, and make 'em laugh. I've been known to climb trees at times... it's all apart of letting down the guard most photographers have.

I usually pick the location, but my clients also have input. It's pretty important to me, so unless I know the area, I like to scout it before hand for good light/location.

Direction wise, I pretty much guide them along - I'll have them pose in ways which seem natural and un-posed, and after a few frames most couples generally get the concept and run with it. It's just laid back, fun, and casual.

Enough ramblin' on my part... Heh.

Well However you do it bro, you do it right!!! And I don't think you could ramble enough as far as most of us on here are concerned!! But thanks for your input man, every little bit helps....time to go shoot....
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Great set.

#2 I'd clone out all the stuff in the middle to make it look like this is one shot.

#7 really like this one. The silhouettes are great. Just enough of her face to make it really come alive. Beautiful.

#8 I'd like to see what this looks like with raising the black point so you get more contrast. Also, it would be slightly better to my eye if the window was centered behind them. Of course, maybe easier to move the couple than the window!

#9 Brilliant reflection shot.

#15 nice.

#19 I love this shot

#23 Oh yeah!

#23 and #24 Looking at the white balance in these two, I prefer the warmer. But then, I always like warm.

Great set. as Agnieszka said, very modern.
  • Options
    Scott MyersScott Myers Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Nice
    Great job bro,

The only critique I have, which is the same as someone previously mentioned, is that I think the B&W shots could stand some more boldness/contrast.

2 questions -

1) Are you adding some blur in PS to the backgrounds?

2) Could you share anything about your processing? I really like the 70's, magazine-style color. Don't know how else to describe it, but I like it... Any secrets you care to share?

Good job making it look natural - I think that is the single hardest part of photography.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    2 questions -

1) Are you adding some blur in PS to the backgrounds?

2) Could you share anything about your processing? I really like the 70's, magazine-style color. Don't know how else to describe it, but I like it... Any secrets you care to share?

15524779-Ti.gif +1 I would be interested in this info as well !!!!
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif +1 I would be interested in this info as well !!!!
    No blur added.

As for PP, it's mainly a combination of curve adjustments (one for a slight xprocess, and one to lift midtones) and subtle warmth.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks!! Appreciate it! Sounds easy enough.