Options

My First Wedding Shoot

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited March 23, 2009 in Weddings
I had my first wedding shoot this past weekend at the Irwin Inn on Stony Lake. The conditions were pretty brutal... bright sun with no clouds and the church was extremely small with no space to move in. There were a lot of challenges here, but hey... the bride only paid $750 so I figured I was allowed to make some mistakes.

Well... here we go!

483749919_8U7aK-XL.jpg

483748253_Ca5Eg-XL.jpg

Yes... I had to try this everyone... even if only once!

483748536_5YVT4-XL.jpg

483912068_6yJti-XL.jpg

John Deere green...

483748470_FdPWt-XL.jpg

483750387_AyNVi-XL.jpg

At the church, signing the registry. You can't tell at all from this shot that Jeff Ascaugh is one of my idols... Note, the "hand of God" on the chair! Due the lighting, the groom was invisible in this shot when converted to black and white. Don't worry, I have one with the groom as well in full colour for mom and dad!

483747419_cyULX-XL.jpg

Leaving the church!

483879291_hHvnu-XL.jpg

483747543_W2eJf-XL.jpg

And then the groomsmen from a funky angle (yup, its a big pano)...

483750194_T5AVa-XL.jpg

The reception was so dimly lit. Thank god for off-camera flash!

483879659_4bAZj-XL.jpg

Sensing a theme here...

483879596_P5tUj-XL.jpg

I took the groom out from the reception for about ten minutes to try a little experiment. Just me, them and a 10,000,000 powered flashlight. Inspired by David Jay's night engagement shoot video!

483880182_4DJrB-XL.jpg

483879839_RdQKu-XL.jpg

483879995_nb6kz-XL.jpg

A little fun with textures. I didn't like it at first, but its kind of growing on me. I think it might look good on canvas.

483750200_qL7ws-XL.jpg

I've got many more to go through and process. I really don't know how photographers can only use available light to shoot weddings. Many of these were shot with an off-camera flash or a flash on a bracket (though I ditched the bracket cause quite frankly, it sucked compared to holding the flash off-camera).

Thanks for looking everyone!
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    These are beeautiful!

I love the first and the last. The texture works well!

I also love the 3rd from last. That is pretty sweet use of your light!

If the rest of the set are anything like these, she got of cheaply with $750.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    Thanks Heather. I know I have got a ton to learn yet, but hopefully this is a good start considering the horror stories I've heard.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    These are beeautiful!

I love the first and the last. The texture works well!

I also love the 3rd from last. That is pretty sweet use of your light!

If the rest of the set are anything like these, she got of cheaply with $750.

Ditto....what she said....especially the third from last.

I think you did a fabulos job here.

One critique....

It would help all of us viewers if you numbered the pics 1 through...?.... so that we could associate a number with a comment rather than saying..."third from last"....

Other than that....clap.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Made a big print of #17 and now I really like the texture around it! I wasn't sure how it would transfer into print before.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    WOW. What a gorgeous set. I like them all but these stand out -
    8 - takes my breath away, looks like a WPJA entry! iloveyou.gif If it were me I would clone out the phantom "hand" though...

11 is awesome, love the dock and the sky/sun flare. Can you explain the technique behind this or is it a fisheye 10:4 crop?

15 is probably my most favorite. Just love the colors, the unexpected direction of light, the shadows, the tension...wow, just everything bowdown.gif

17 is beautiful, she really looks like Julianne Moore here! Gorgeous soft light and I like the texture.

WTG on your first...you've got to be pumped how these turned out! Congrats!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks for your comments Urbanaries. I'll take that into account regarding the cloning out of the hand. I've thought about it... I guess its the symbolism I really like from it. ne_nau.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    wow! you did great. now where do I get this flashlight from?
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    WOW. What a gorgeous set. I like them all but these stand out -
    8 - takes my breath away, looks like a WPJA entry! iloveyou.gif If it were me I would clone out the phantom "hand" though...

11 is awesome, love the dock and the sky/sun flare. Can you explain the technique behind this or is it a fisheye 10:4 crop?

15 is probably my most favorite. Just love the colors, the unexpected direction of light, the shadows, the tension...wow, just everything bowdown.gif

17 is beautiful, she really looks like Julianne Moore here! Gorgeous soft light and I like the texture.

WTG on your first...you've got to be pumped how these turned out! Congrats!

#11 was shot using a 24-70mm 2.8 lens (I can't remember the focal range, but I think it was probably around 40mm). I shot low to the ground and told them not to move. Then I quickly snapped off a series of handheld shots. I later stitched them together in photoshop and corrected for geometric distortion. This little feature allows for really cool effects (such as a fisheye) with the right type of shots. There was no post-processing done on any of these sun flares. The key was really to expose for the sky so the image was way underexposed. Also, I used a polarizer here.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    wow! you did great. now where do I get this flashlight from?

Walmart should have these. Be careful, they only last about 20 minutes and take all day to charge! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Beautiful set, without a doubt, she got a great bargain at $750!!! I love the ring shot, how unusual and fresh! Wow. I don't have anything to say except what a great job. I would be thrilled with these pictures.

I love textures, I'm a grunge-monster, so I think the texture works well, though it would work if she were textured more, too.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Beautiful set, without a doubt, she got a great bargain at $750!!! I love the ring shot, how unusual and fresh! Wow. I don't have anything to say except what a great job. I would be thrilled with these pictures.

I love textures, I'm a grunge-monster, so I think the texture works well, though it would work if she were textured more, too.

We've got some great photographers around this neck of the wood so the pressure was definitely there.

As for the ring shot, I wish I could take credit for being original, but its been done quite a bit. :cry Thanks for the comments though!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Walmart should have these. Be careful, they only last about 20 minutes and take all day to charge! :D
    They can be found
    HERE
    $75.00 at walmart.

BEAUTIFUL set! What a bargain at $750! Congrats on a very successful first!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    They also have them at bass pro....(the 6.5 million candle spot is 40 there)

The pics are wonderful...
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    These are very nice! I think you did a great job! clap.gif

The little tractor shot has a nice bokeh; I'd give it a bit of an angle though so it would be easier to see what the tractor is carrying.

I love #8, absolutely great shot thumb.gif (even though the 'floating hand' does creep me out a bit, hahaha).
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Agreed....very nice set with lots of variety and super creative lighting...yummy! Nice job dude!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    You did a fantastic job! I echo the sentiments that $750 was a big bargain. Raise your price and go do another one!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. One thing I did notice is the massive time constraints a wedding imposes on the photographer. I had very little time and often one chance to get the shot I wanted.

As for the price... that's fixed for 2009. Once I get my portfolio built up, the prices will increase in 2010 ylsuper.gif. I've got 15 weddings booked this summer, so hopefully at the end, I'll have plenty of images to start my portfolio with.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I have to agree with everyone else, for being your first wedding, you did AMAZING. This does not look like your typical "my first wedding" post AT ALL. These look fabulous. Seriously, raise your prices for clients that haven't seen previously posted prices, you're totally worth it.

PS - I did 17 weddings last year and wanted to shoot myself. Good luck with your 15... if you're like me and work a regular job + extracurriculars, you may find yourself wanting to take less weddings the following year! I've only got 8 booked so far this year and I'm cool w/ it staying low :)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    First wedding? WOW - you hit at least a 3-bagger with this one. A home run if the rest of the day turned out like this sampling.

As for mistakes .... Well, that first one is definitely NOT a mistake. That's beautiful!! (except for the logo).

#5 - the shoes - well done. Not too sure about the background though.

#8 - I think I would loose the groom's hand completely. The clone job shouldn't be too difficult. But, I love the light in this one. Very nice!

#12 - WOW The bride does NOT look happy :D

#14 - This is prime! I would clone out the spot to the right of the groom.

#17 - This is very, very nice.

FWIW - I think you did a wonderful job and the B&G got off very easy paying only $750. Very nice work!!:ivar clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    First wedding?! eek7.gif Are you sure?! :)

If I were the bride, I'd be SUPER HAPPY with the photos. :D I love the moments you've captured and the story each one tells. iloveyou.gif

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    Thank you all bowdown.gif. To be honest with you, I'm not as happy with some of these as I would have liked. I missed the focus in the tractor shot and I feel that I could have used my flash better. This was my first time really using off-camera flash (my arms were exhausted as I was shooting solo while holding the flash off to the side).

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Thank you all bowdown.gif. To be honest with you, I'm not as happy with some of these as I would have liked. I missed the focus in the tractor shot and I feel that I could have used my flash better. This was my first time really using off-camera flash (my arms were exhausted as I was shooting solo while holding the flash off to the side).

Nice series. I think your number one is great. Couple of things you could have done to make it a little better. I have taken the privilege of retouching it and posting it here with the original. Notice the hot spots on her dress and hip...most have been removed. This is just a quick dodge and burn, bit of cloning, and an exposure adj. A bit more work is required...especially in the lighter areas of the dress...but, in my humble opinion, I think better.

485068347_ziydY-L.jpg

Retouched

485068351_J6QkK-L.jpg
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Nice series. I think your number one is great. Couple of things you could have done to make it a little better. I have taken the privilege of retouching it and posting it here with the original. Notice the hot spots on her dress and hip...most have been removed. This is just a quick dodge and burn, bit of cloning, and an exposure adj. A bit more work is required...especially in the lighter areas of the dress...but, in my humble opinion, I think better.

485068347_ziydY-L.jpg

Retouched

485068351_J6QkK-L.jpg

Thank you for your comments. To be honest with you, I find your version has way too much contrast and grain and there is too much overexposure in your corrected version that wouldn't necessarily translate well into print. There is also a loss of subtleties in the photo such as the edges of her dress and the way the light plays on the back of the dress.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Thank you for your comments. To be honest with you, I find your version has way too much contrast and grain and there is too much overexposure in your corrected version that wouldn't necessarily translate well into print. There is also a loss of subtleties in the photo such as the edges of her dress and the way the light plays on the back of the dress.

This was just a quicky thing that was supposed to give you some ideas...that maybe you hadn't explored. Yep, I pushed it too much and you are absolutely right abut the grain on the left...didn't notice it on my laptop...crummy monitor...sure notice it on my desktop.

I still think you need to fix the sunspot on her right hip...since it blends in with the wall, it sort of looks like part of her is missing...see my retouch to see what I mean there.

Anyway, great shot...very nice dress. It's just food for thought.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009

You will always have things you would do better...a wedding is way too varied, stressful, unpredictable and just downright demanding that if you ever walk away from one and don't have at least 3 things you would do different next time, well then I call :bigbs rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    You will always have things you would do better...a wedding is way too varied, stressful, unpredictable and just downright demanding that if you ever walk away from one and don't have at least 3 things you would do different next time, well then I call :bigbs rolleyes1.gif

Well put, that's kind of how I feel as well! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    As I've read elsewhere -
    "A work of art is never completed, only abandoned."
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Beautiful work! Next time, charge double. (If they're strangers) You're worth it! :-D

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    GaWOW! Can only agree with the others - fabulous work (and no WAY would anybody have guessed "First time out"!)

One teeny tiny thing: clone out the "Made in China" (and maybe the shoe size) in the shoe shot....

Great job! I love the textured one, the floating hand one, and the flared kiss in particular, but they are ALL great shots. Welll done! clap.gif