Options

Looking for a Tripod is worse than ...

BlufoxBlufox Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Accessories
... shopping for a car! To make matters worse, there are very few camera shops in the area that I live where I can look them over in person, so ... I am stuck searching the Net. Do you know how difficult that can be? (the pictures are so tiny)

When I bought my first pod (about 274 years ago), the choices were much fewer, and I had several shops nearby (southern Cal) to see them in person. Times have changed. Now I don't have a clue what to get! :dunno

Okay, I'll stop whining ...

If anyone has a D300 with a lens as large as the 70-200 2.8, please let me know what you use. Better yet, if you no longer need it, send it my way!:D
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated.
These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer ..."

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    Larry,

How will you use the tripod; what applications?
    How much would you like to carry and how compact need it be?
    What sort of head do you need? (2 way, 3 way, ball head, pano head, etc.)
    Budget?

Let us know as much as you can about your needs and requirements and then, we can help.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Blufox, If need being, order your Tripod or monopod through B&H Photo. They are tops in my book. I shoot with an OLY E510 w/ Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and use a manfrotto monopod. This is a heavy lense. Since I enjoy shooting sports shots, I perfer the monopod. Hope this helps you out.
    Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 679B 3-SECT (BLK) MONOPOD w/234 HEAD - BO679B234 1$63.95
    Ron A.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How will you use the tripod; what applications?
    How much would you like to carry and how compact need it be?
    What sort of head do you need? (2 way, 3 way, ball head, pano head, etc.)
    Budget?

Let us know as much as you can about your needs and requirements and then, we can help.
    Thanks, Ziggy.

I will mainly use it for portraits and macro, but may on occasion use it for some landscape or real estate.

I would like it to be comfortable enough for someone my height (6'2"), but I don't mind crouching a little. As for weight, I would like it to be light enough to carry on a hike, even though I will mostly use it on shorter trips (outdoor portraits, etc.). I would like to be able to shoot somewhat low at times.

As far as a head is concerned, I like the ball heads. I have one on my Bogen mono, and it works well.

Budget? Let's just say between $200-400, give or take a little.

Thanks!
    Larry

These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer ..."
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I wrote this on another post so I am cutting and pasting, I am 6'1" and there is no crouching unless you want to.

I have been pleased with the Induro AX214. One of things I bought for was the ability to go vertical or horizontal with the center column. I have giottos ball head and they both handle the D300 with 200mm f2 nikon very well. Pricing is very competitve

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_AX214.html
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    B&h
    b08rsa wrote:
    Blufox, If need being, order your Tripod or monopod through B&H Photo. They are tops in my book.
    Thanks, Ron. I think I own some stock in B&H by now, as they are my main source for gear. In fact, the UPS truck was here 2 hours ago with my latest acquisition. :D
    Larry

• Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I have been pleased with the Induro AX214. One of things I bought for was the ability to go vertical or horizontal with the center column. I have giottos ball head and they both handle the D300 with 200mm f2 nikon very well. Pricing is very competitvel

Thanks, Chris - I'll take a look at it.
    Larry

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    BluFox......

I use a Giottos 4 section and love it.......It is lighter than the old Bogen/Manfrotto and its center column is made to tilt at various angles for macro shooting.....when I have the center column at an odd angle I usually have some sort of counter weight on the other end of the column just for stability.........it gets win in 9" of the ground and if I had the shorty column (6") then it would be much more stabil than it is with a ~24" column sticking up.........mine is the Giottos MT9180 ...... I also use the Giottos P-Pod.....a monopod with 3 legs stored in the bottom section that allows for a little more stability as a tripod or you can have the pod laying at ~40-45* angle to get to those macro shots......they also come with a 3 way head and quick releases.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I use a Giottos 4 section and love it.......

Thanks, Art. Another one to look into.
    Larry

• Options
    photographzphotographz Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Blufox wrote:
    ... shopping for a car! To make matters worse, there are very few camera shops in the area that I live where I can look them over in person, so ... I am stuck searching the Net. Do you know how difficult that can be? (the pictures are so tiny)

When I bought my first pod (about 274 years ago), the choices were much fewer, and I had several shops nearby (southern Cal) to see them in person. Times have changed. Now I don't have a clue what to get! ne_nau.gif

Okay, I'll stop whining ...

If anyone has a D300 with a lens as large as the 70-200 2.8, please let me know what you use. Better yet, if you no longer need it, send it my way!:D

I don't have much to add in way of helping find one, but I sure know how you feel! I think it took me a few months to snag a 3001 with a 3030 head (both Manfrotto/bogan) off of ebay (I paid about $70 for the combo, shipped-in perfect shape save a little dust). I thought I would lose my mind trying to research heads and legs! I lucked out at Christmas time when I got a 3021 and a bogen 3 way tilt pan head that I can't recall the number of for about $100, so I thought it would be a snap to find one for myself. HA! Both turned out to be good sound investments though. I like his quick release plate better, but I don't use very heavy lenses like he does (He usually uses a Sigma 170-500) so it's probably sufficent for my camera and lens.
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Blufox wrote:
    ... If anyone has a D300 with a lens as large as the 70-200 2.8, please let me know what you use. Better yet, if you no longer need it, send it my way!:D
    I just purchased the Gitzo 2531EX and the Really Right Stuff BH-40 ball head, and the RRS 'L' bracket for the D300 w/grip and the plate for the 70-200 2.8. Very nice! I am really impressed with the quality and can't wait to get out and try in the field. So far, I've only used it for a portrait session.

Good luck on your search...
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    edited March 7, 2009
    Found
    Thank you to everyone for your assistance.

After much deliberation (too much), I ended up going with the Bogen 055XPROB and the Bogen 488RC2 head. I decided to not go with CF -or something more expensive- in order to stay married. :D
    Larry

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Larry,

I was close to a Gitzo GT3530LS and a RRS BH40. Then I figured if I went with the Bogen 055XPROB and 488RC2 I would have enough left over for an EF-S 10-22mm and an 8GB card!

And if I brought them in at different times I too could stay married.

Great minds think alike thumb.gif

Jim
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Jim K wrote:

Whatever it takes, that's what I always say!mwink.gif
    Larry

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited March 12, 2009
    Jim K wrote:

Jim

Are you talking about you guys thinking alike or your wives thinking alike? mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums