Options

Junior Prom

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in People
My youngest had her junior prom this weekend. It was quite eventful...to say the least. This was Friday night (her prom) , but her BF's prom was Saturday night....so two in one weekend.

There are various things I do with my camera, but events like this...for my children...is my primary purpose in photography. It's easy to be so busy with other folk's photos that I forget why I got into this to begin with. Well, this is why.

These have only minor editing....no cropping....mostly SOO LR (straight out of light room).

The weekend acyually began Thursday night. Some of you will remember that my oldest daughter is away at college. Well, it seems that she moved all of the "prom" jewelry away with her. My youngest discovered this late Thursday afternoon and went shopping to no avail. So, off she goes to a friend's house to borrow a pair of earrings. She gave us quite a scare on her way home. I got the call about 10 minutes after arriving home from shooting Lauren's Sr pics that I posted here(link). It was a nasty rainy day.

501062506_pQwhi-L.jpg

She swears she had a green arrow, but she was hit head on by a Suburban that couldn't make the stop. Shes fine....a few bumps and bruises, but no one was hurt in either vehicle. She just got a nasty wallop from the seat belt and air bag.

So...on to Friday evening.

501029342_DE6BU-M.jpg

2 Just a little shoe mounted, LS'd, bounced, and gelled flash.....really simple.
501028368_rVUME-M.jpg

3 All of the outdoor shots were with a shoe mounted bare flash....with a CTB gel.
501032072_3PjWs-M.jpg

4-
501047987_ovqpv-M.jpg

501050616_gxKmQ-M.jpg

501051700_9pynJ-M.jpg

...and....Saturday night.
501067204_C5rjt-M.jpg

8-
501095774_4qErY-M.jpg

9-
501115669_5eam3-M.jpg

10-"canned smile alert!!!"
501130407_LweVK-M.jpg

11-
501054945_psUdm-M.jpg

12-
501056982_jaQ2E-M.jpg

13- and thats about it....the blow up thingamajig was in preparation for the all night after party. She slept all day Sunday....while I had a day full of Sr sessions that began at 8am.
501060273_PF8B8-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    broken links fyi
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    broken links fyi

Oops!!!
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    This is such a beautiful set of photographs. She is such a beautiful girl and looks like she was having a good time. I am glad though that I'm not the only one that gets the "canned" smile. :D

I'm glad she made it without much of a scratch. The car took quite a hit it looks like.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Glad to hear she's ok. Yeah, the car's a mess, but cars can be fixed - far more important that she's ok. Big phew.

Beautiful as always - those daughters of yours would look good in just about anything, but all dolled up ... wow. And looks she really pulled out ALL the stops for Saturday night, didn't she!!! (are she and big sis still speaking? I can just imagine the kind of, uh.... "discussions" between sisters that nabbing all the fancy jewellery prompted!!! mwink.gif)

And I'm really jealous that your roses are already blooming - although plants round here are leafing up, nothing except daffodils are blooming!

ETA: all beautiful, but #9 is my favorite I think.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Wow! I am sure glad your daughter did not get hurt. I love the shots as always.
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Quite the story Jeff. Glad no one was injured. Fantastic vibrant pictures as per usual! Gorgeous daughter.

Great hand posing, especially in #8 :D
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    TWO dresses- poor daddy. She looks beautiful and both, and of course, your photos are great. As always, thanks for sharing.

Caroline
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Oh my!!! I am so glad to hear nothing bad happened (well, besides the broken car)!

Wonderful photos (and wow, what a back!)
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    This is such a beautiful set of photographs. She is such a beautiful girl and looks like she was having a good time. I am glad though that I'm not the only one that gets the "canned" smile. :D

I'm glad she made it without much of a scratch. The car took quite a hit it looks like.

Well, the only visible mark is the small burn from the airbag....you can just see it on her right cheek.

Thanks Julie...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    :D
    divamum wrote:
    Glad to hear she's ok. Yeah, the car's a mess, but cars can be fixed - far more important that she's ok. Big phew.

Beautiful as always - those daughters of yours would look good in just about anything, but all dolled up ... wow. And looks she really pulled out ALL the stops for Saturday night, didn't she!!! (are she and big sis still speaking? I can just imagine the kind of, uh.... "discussions" between sisters that nabbing all the fancy jewellery prompted!!! mwink.gif)

And I'm really jealous that your roses are already blooming - although plants round here are leafing up, nothing except daffodils are blooming!

ETA: all beautiful, but #9 is my favorite I think.

There was some good shade under that oak....I wish it were all the way to the top of the frame!

The rose always blooms by prom season.:D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    DavidS wrote:
    Wow! I am sure glad your daughter did not get hurt. I love the shots as always.

I appreciate that David.

Good to see you back in the grin!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    gavin wrote:
    Quite the story Jeff. Glad no one was injured. Fantastic vibrant pictures as per usual! Gorgeous daughter.

Great hand posing, especially in #8 :D

Thanks Gavin...but...

There's no hand posing going on here. In fact...unlike her older sister...this one cannot stand posing for a camera. We squeeze a few in, but mostly shes a candid type of gal. She's been working on her plan for senior photos....it will be a themed shoot...according to her...with nothing posed. Of course we will pose some, but the ones she is planning will be candid.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    TWO dresses- poor daddy. She looks beautiful and both, and of course, your photos are great. As always, thanks for sharing.

Caroline

Noooo......we got lucky and she used dresses that the girl's already had in inventory!!!

I did have to buy two hair-dos.

And a car.....maybe.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh my!!! I am so glad to hear nothing bad happened (well, besides the broken car)!

Wonderful photos (and wow, what a back!)

Thanks Agnies...and yes....she sure looked stunning in that black dress.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Jeff, very nice. I really do love the lighting, great job. Glad she is OK. The car can be fixed.
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Oh wow the car looks bad...glad your daughter is ok!! Beautiful photos =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 30, 2009
    I generally look at pics before reading any of the text. When I saw the first one, I thought, "OK, how's he going to turn this one into a senior shot?" rolleyes1.gif

Glad to hear that she's OK. And great shots, as usual. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Agnies...and yes....she sure looked stunning in that black dress.
    I'm so sorry to hear about the accident and very happy to hear the she's (mostly) alright.

As for your statement above - well, I think you should've/could've stopped right before the word "in" mwink.gif

This is an excellent series of photos. I really like #4. The treatment/WB of #5 - not so much.

It's the last three that stand out for me. Yeah, 12 is pretty candid but her smile is priceless - makes the shot very much worthwhile. And 15524779-Ti.gif with Agnieszka about her back in the last - that's a pretty cool shot!
  • Options
    BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Jeff,

GREAT SHOTSthumb.gifthumb.gif

As I have mentioned to you before...we are in about the same stages of raising our daughters...I have a freshman in college and a sophomore in high school (she has an early birthday and turned 16 in October). I dread the day I get the call about the first car accident...you seem to be taking it pretty well.

Unfortunately...we are no where near the same stage in our photographyne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    I am quite jealous of your skills.
  • Options
    ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Oh goodness, I'm so glad she's ok! I did that to my parents (and my then boyfriend who is now my DH) 2.5 times. They thought they were going to have to buy me a new car every year. :) And the half time was because it was totally not my fault that time.

She is a stunning girl! Looks like she was having a wonderful time. Is the prom a two night deal for her?

I really love your use of lighting for all of them. They are gorgeous shots!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Jeff, glad everyone is OK.

These shots of your beautiful daughter are excellent!

Did you get any of her alone posing in her dress? I'm looking for ideas for this weekend. My daughter wants me to take some shots of her in her Bat Mitzvah dress. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss as to how to pose her.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Holy cow I am so glad to see and hear that your youngest just had a scare. That is absolutely terrifying and I cannot imagine the fear of being a parent of such a lovely young lady being having a near miss like that.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Jeff, glad everyone is OK.

These shots of your beautiful daughter are excellent!

Did you get any of her alone posing in her dress? I'm looking for ideas for this weekend. My daughter wants me to take some shots of her in her Bat Mitzvah dress. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss as to how to pose her.headscratch.gif

I pm'd you links to some hidden galleries and some other stuff that might help. Let her choose some poses and just try to duplicate them. It will be fun!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Holy cow I am so glad to see and hear that your youngest just had a scare. That is absolutely terrifying and I cannot imagine the fear of being a parent of such a lovely young lady being having a near miss like that.

Thanks schmoo....shes fine....really.....and the insurance adjuster called and told me to go car shopping. They aint fixing it! So.....it's over....done deal.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear about the accident and very happy to hear the she's (mostly) alright.

As for your statement above - well, I think you should've/could've stopped right before the word "in" mwink.gif

This is an excellent series of photos. I really like #4. The treatment/WB of #5 - not so much.

It's the last three that stand out for me. Yeah, 12 is pretty candid but her smile is priceless - makes the shot very much worthwhile. And 15524779-Ti.gif with Agnieszka about her back in the last - that's a pretty cool shot!

Thanks Scott....I LOVE 12!
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Jeff,

Wonderfully captivating photos with really interestings stories behind them. Great job as usual and more importantly. I've very happy that everyone was ok! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Ok, I just love that first shot of the shoe... Love the OCF, but I wonder if it is a bit hot? (might just be me?) Also, can you share a full shot of that gown? It must be amazing! I wouldn't have even known it had all those fluffs on the bottom except for that neat shoe shot.
    I am going to have to play more with the shoe shot with this in mind for weddings. Fun fun!

One thing about this set totally unrelated to photography is that it seems to me that as this daughter gets older she looks more and more like your other daughter. Or is it just me? Whatever the case she certainly is a beauty!

I agree with Scott about the color balance in 5 (or was it 5?... trying to remember)

Lovely set! And it is another reason why I am so glad that your photography isn't just about the money you make while doing it! Beautiful young lady and so glad she is safe.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Ok, I just love that first shot of the shoe... Love the OCF, but I wonder if it is a bit hot? (might just be me?) Also, can you share a full shot of that gown? It must be amazing! I wouldn't have even known it had all those fluffs on the bottom except for that neat shoe shot.
    I am going to have to play more with the shoe shot with this in mind for weddings. Fun fun!

One thing about this set totally unrelated to photography is that it seems to me that as this daughter gets older she looks more and more like your other daughter. Or is it just me? Whatever the case she certainly is a beauty!

I agree with Scott about the color balance in 5 (or was it 5?... trying to remember)

Lovely set! And it is another reason why I am so glad that your photography isn't just about the money you make while doing it! Beautiful young lady and so glad she is safe.iloveyou.gif

No OCF in the shoes shot....that was natural sunlight....under our carport......and its really hot. The top of the silver shoe......yikes.....ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Oh, that shot of the car made me gasp a little bit! So glad your girl is OK and the car can be replaced.

I'm getting a little kick out of the fact that your daughter is planning candid photos for her senior shots. Heehee...just how does that work exactly? :D No matter what, I'm looking forward to seeing them! She is stunning, and catching her candid smile is a treat for us to see.

As usual, your lighting and colors are superb.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh, that shot of the car made me gasp a little bit! So glad your girl is OK and the car can be replaced.

I'm getting a little kick out of the fact that your daughter is planning candid photos for her senior shots. Heehee...just how does that work exactly? :D No matter what, I'm looking forward to seeing them! She is stunning, and catching her candid smile is a treat for us to see.

As usual, your lighting and colors are superb.

Well...as candid as possible. She REALLY doesn't like static poses. I haven't quite figured out how to pull it off either, but....one way or another....I am sure she will get her way!iloveyou.gif