Options

HDR Panorama- Badwater

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited April 3, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey guys- here is an HDR panorama of Badwater. The overcast conditions worked out well and I got a decent panorama. 11 images merged in PTGui. Photomatix used for the HDR processing. Please scroll to the right to see the entire image.

Thanks for looking.

502691022_TWpB6-O.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    WOOOW!!

nice choice to post it this large, blows you away! LOVE the texture of the salt (?) and the weird colours in the sky. surreal. thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Looks awesome Nikhil!! Very nice work! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    very sweet.. i would try to balance the light and dark areas in the FG to horizon, but thats just me...

how close to the ground was your lens?
    the stiching seems to have gone perfect.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif
    WOOOW!!

nice choice to post it this large, blows you away! LOVE the texture of the salt (?) and the weird colours in the sky. surreal.

Hi Chris- yeah it is the salt. That area (and the valley itself) really is beautiful. The best times to go there are twilight (morning and evening). Perfecto! Someday I want to shoot star trails there- if I can get myself to drive to that point and then walk in the darkness. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    very sweet.. i would try to balance the light and dark areas in the FG to horizon, but thats just me...

how close to the ground was your lens?
    the stiching seems to have gone perfect.

Thanks for the feedback Aaron. When you say balance, do you mean the contrast or colors? I would love to know what you are thinking.

The camera was really low (< 1 ft off the ground). I too was pleasantly surprised to find the stitching so perfect- guess my calculation of the nodal point worked... :D

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Looks awesome Nikhil!! Very nice work! thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback Sir- I am keeping a lookout for some more of your photos BTW... So keep 'em coming!

Cheers,
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback Sir- I am keeping a lookout for some more of your photos BTW... So keep 'em coming!

Cheers,

I'll get some new ones up this week! :D

I took about 2,000 shots this weekend in Joshua Tree, now I just need to pick through the snap shots to find the winners! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    looking at this pano i see in the FG from left to right exposure diffences that i would try to fix...but other people may find this as part of the element of panos...
    i would say balancing the FG exposure would be worth the work. mask the horizon up since its just right.

just my .01
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    looking at this pano i see in the FG from left to right exposure diffences that i would try to fix...but other people may find this as part of the element of panos...
    i would say balancing the FG exposure would be worth the work. mask the horizon up since its just right.

15524779-Ti.gif But very nice! Little more work and you could have an awesome pano!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Excellent work, and incredible detail.

My only suggestion would be to balance out the dark area in the foreground over to the right.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    This is really good. I was there 3 weeks ago, we had clear sky and I can tell you, the clouds you got make this picture reall, really dramatic.
  • Options
    jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I am very impressed as is
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif But very nice! Little more work and you could have an awesome pano!

Exactly my thoughts. Just a little more fg balancing and this is ready to print large.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Love it!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    Thanks all for the comments. I need to work on getting the foreground exposure balanced across all the frames. But it's been an interesting learning experience (re HDR and Panos). I sure am glad I used the nodal slide, thanks to which the stitching was perfect and I had to crop very little. :ivar

Cheers,
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    clap.gif PSP!!

Pretty Sweet Pano! I like the foreground - for me the negative aspect of the photo is the saturation in the mountains. Very un-natural looking and that is a pet peeve of mine. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Stunning colors!
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Great pano!

However, Photomatrix seems to have done some kinda odd things to the shot. Notice how the foreground is too bright when there are dark mountains in the background? That is a byproduct of the automated tone mapping in Photomarix (or any tonemapping program; they all have this problem). One way or another, to even out your foreground lighting, you'll need to process the foreground and background independently. Personally where I'd start is by dropping the best foreground exposure over your HDR and masking it at the horizon.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Great pano!

However, Photomatrix seems to have done some kinda odd things to the shot. Notice how the foreground is too bright when there are dark mountains in the background? That is a byproduct of the automated tone mapping in Photomarix (or any tonemapping program; they all have this problem). One way or another, to even out your foreground lighting, you'll need to process the foreground and background independently. Personally where I'd start is by dropping the best foreground exposure over your HDR and masking it at the horizon.

Yeah- I noticed that too. I will have to work on it over the weekend! Seems to be a tedious process. HDR and Pano is not easy... ne_nau.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I think it is terrific as is, but would like to see your revision if you post it.

What was your workflow? Did you do each HDR section first and then stitch it? I was just reading an article about that approach the other day. I haven't tried it myself--wanted to ask someone who's done it.

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I think it is terrific as is, but would like to see your revision if you post it.

What was your workflow? Did you do each HDR section first and then stitch it? I was just reading an article about that approach the other day. I haven't tried it myself--wanted to ask someone who's done it.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah you pretty much got it right- I had taken 33 images (3 exposures for each frame). I first converted the RAW files to Tiffs (applying the same settings across the board). Then I processed the HDRs for each frame using Photomatix. Once done, I stitched the 11 HDR Tiffs using PTGui. The resultant Tiff file was then adjusted for levels/curves, sharpness etc before saving as jpeg.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Glad I opened this thread. It was great to watch it load, top to bottom, like a sequenced event, that just better as it loaded.clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks. Now I have to go back to Badwater and get a pano. rolleyes1.gif This is that good. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks. Now I have to go back to Badwater and get a pano. rolleyes1.gif This is that good. clap.gif

Hah- well then we have come FULL CIRCLE. I actually went to badwater having seen your images of the racetrack. I thought to myself that since my little car couldn't negotiate the road to the racetrack, I would try and get something nice at badwater. So thanks to your images (which I loved), I got somethin' somethin' for myself!!! mwink.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Hah- well then we have come FULL CIRCLE. I actually went to badwater having seen your images of the racetrack. I thought to myself that since my little car couldn't negotiate the road to the racetrack, I would try and get something nice at badwater. So thanks to your images (which I loved), I got somethin' somethin' for myself!!! mwink.gif

Cheers,

Funny! Maybe we'll have to hook up one of these days and you can hitch a ride in with me and/or Aaron to the track.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    This helps a lot--thanks for the info on the process. I'll have to give it a whirl. I wonder how the Alamo would like as a 33 image HDR pano? rolleyes1.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    Daver2112Daver2112 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Wow! Fantastic panorama!!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Very nice, indeed!

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Funny! Maybe we'll have to hook up one of these days and you can hitch a ride in with me and/or Aaron to the track.

ear.gif

Did someone say Death Valley Racetrack??

We better go soon while the temps are still good. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 2, 2009
    This is one impressive photo! The detail and the light are outstanding. It's humbling to see how much work is involved. Great job! thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com