Options

The Wild Pacific II (Ruby and Second Beach, Olympic National Park)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited April 13, 2009 in Landscapes
On Thursday morning, I noticed the weekend forecast was favorable for the beaches in Olympic National Park, and a few minutes later I booked a three night trip in Forks (in photographer terms, that means three sunsets and three sunrises).

I was armed with a new piece of important photography gear... rubber boots! No longer must I play victim to the tide! They really made a difference, sure a lot of the time the tripod wobbled and the pictures didn't come out, but they let me stay out there instead of run back and forth.

The light varied from average to awesome, with the best light being sunset at Ruby Beach on Sunday. It was high tide the entire time pretty much - which made it a bit more frantic.

I've shot these beaches several times (I think this was the fourth time I've been out there this year). I'm always amazed at how dynamic the landscapes are, there are so many variations between tide and light (often within an hour, let alone the trip), I always come back with something different. The long exposures can really create an impressionistic type feel to the photos.

Note: No vampires or werewolves were harmed during the taking of these photos.

Here are some of my favorites, it was hard to narrow it down to 15. Note that I blistered through the processing on these so I probably screwed up on some of them. They're all single exposures except #3. Most of them were shot with a 2-stop GND and a polarizer. Some of the night/silhouette shots were several minutes.

#1:

507990938_ovzcm-L.jpg

#2:

507302579_27TAy-L.jpg

#3:

507303302_TzvgY-L.jpg

#4:

507311590_HEvYG-L.jpg

#5:

507844940_iyqk5-L.jpg

#6:

507836549_rvNPL-L.jpg

#7:

507940707_uWiTK-L.jpg

#8:

507945066_az4kd-L.jpg

#9:

507980546_r9Djr-L.jpg

#10:

507979981_qwdUK-L.jpg

#11:

507982398_U8ETb-L.jpg

#12:

507987379_n43c7-L.jpg

#13:

507991327_rHHNe-L.jpg

#14:

507986429_Veyoq-L.jpg

#15:

507920269_yHMiG-L.jpg

And now your video part of the presentation. Note that these are after peak light, my purpose is to take photographs, not videos, but the videos are kind of fun after I'm done :D

Ruby Beach at sunrise:
<object width="640" height="362">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTA3MzE4MjI1Jms9YVBYZTImYT0xOTMzNjM3X1FMMzRLJnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="362"></object>

Here's one of Second Beach at sunrise:
<object width="640" height="362">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTA3MzEzMTkyJms9cUR2VncmYT0xOTMzNjM3X1FMMzRLJnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="362"></object>

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    bowdown.gif

#10 and #13 really stand out to me.

I think you can and will improve #1 and #3

Very nice stuff as usual
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    bowdown.gif

Very nice stuff as usual

15524779-Ti.gif completely!!

In addition, I really like the patterns in the foreground of #7, I just wish there was something more interesting in the top portion of the image.

Awesome work, Ron!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    what a way to spend a morning! clap.gif

Great shots, love them all! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Great job as always ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Great shots, especially the sequence from #10 through #13. Are you using hard edge GND?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 8, 2009
    I love the muted pastel colors in these shots. So much so, that #6 and #12 almost look out of place in the series because they don't have them, even though they are stunning images in their own right. I also like the textures of the water you managed to capture.

BTW, #3 looks great to me just the way it is. Number #11 looks like an oil painting to me and I keep being drawn to it. 13, 14, heck, all of them are excellent.

Anyway, really great shots, Ron. It's always a pleasure to view your work.

-joel
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    #s 2, 5, 7, 10, and 13 are stunning! thumb.gifthumb
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    bowdown.gif

Very nice stuff as usual

Thanks Aaron - I agree that #3 can be improved, the contrast ratio was ridiculous, I tried three 2-stop brackets with a 2-stop and 3-stop GND filter both, and I still didn't get it like I wanted it. The only way to do it justice to what I actually saw with my eye would require masking, etc., and I'm too lazy for that (for now). I like #1 as-is, though I noticed it didn't look as good on another monitor.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great shots, especially the sequence from #10 through #13. Are you using hard edge GND?

Most of these were with a 2-stop soft GND, actually the only one that was 3-stop hard was #13, the rest had no GND filter or the 2-stop soft. #12 had an 8-stop ND filter with a 2-stop soft GND.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I love the muted pastel colors in these shots. So much so, that #6 and #12 almost look out of place in the series because they don't have them, even though they are stunning images in their own right. I also like the textures of the water you managed to capture.

BTW, #3 looks great to me just the way it is. Number #11 looks like an oil painting to me and I keep being drawn to it. 13, 14, heck, all of them are excellent.

Anyway, really great shots, Ron. It's always a pleasure to view your work.

-joel
    Thanks Joel! I lucked out with that sunset at Ruby Beach.

Here's a couple more oil-painting type shots, all of these were taken within a span of about 5 minutes.

507981801_Ybmwc-L.jpg

507981140_PyWUc-L.jpg

507982920_ym77g-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    These images bring back memories of my 2005 trip to Washington state.
    How I wish I knew then what I know now :cry
    Anyway, you did a fine job capturing this magnificent coastline clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks for sharing.
    Russ
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    I never grow tired of your shots from the Olympic Peninsula. Great series. thumb.gif
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    more good stuff, Ron... i love that part of the coast, gotta get back out there again soon.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Great photos, all of them!

The black hooded figure staring out to the see in #4... scary vision... are you sure about those vampires?
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    These images bring back memories of my 2005 trip to Washington state.
    How I wish I knew then what I know now :cry
    Anyway, you did a fine job capturing this magnificent coastline clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Russ! I'm like you - there's a lot of places I visited before I was into photography that I would like to return now that I know a little more (not much, just a little). I'm fortunate enough to have this place in my backyard (my backyard is any place I can drive to and from in a day and not fall asleep in either direction - so about 300 miles each way :D).
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    I never grow tired of your shots from the Olympic Peninsula. Great series. thumb.gif

Thanks Bryan, I never get tired of taking them, so that's good. I was looking for some Bzdula Beams (tm) but didn't catch any, maybe next time.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Pexi wrote:
    Great photos, all of them!

The black hooded figure staring out to the see in #4... scary vision... are you sure about those vampires?

Oh, I'm sure they were there, they just didn't go after me. Interestingly, when I took that photo, I noticed a pair of eyes in the woods that lit up every time my head lamp faced that direction. It was too dark to see what they belonged to but they were tracking me (the only person on the beach then) the whole time. So, probably a vampire, that's the only rational explanation.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Breathtaking Ron! I see littler minor things on a few (horizon off a little) but your work is always amazing! I think 7, 12 and 13 are just amazing! I am a sucker for long exposure and have done a few so far. Would you suggest a ND filter for these?
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Ron

Another gorgeous series everyone is a very worthy image great colors and comps. Coming up not only the coast but get to look forward to June in the Palouse gotta start taking the long routes to my accounts in Yakima, Othello and Spokane.

Ray Still
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2009
    Breathtaking Ron! I see littler minor things on a few (horizon off a little) but your work is always amazing! I think 7, 12 and 13 are just amazing! I am a sucker for long exposure and have done a few so far. Would you suggest a ND filter for these?

Thanks! A grad ND filter, yes, a regular ND filter, no. I use a grad ND filter all the time (along with a polarizer). Often a polarizer will darken by about 2-3 stops anyway, so you can often use it as a quasi-ND filter. I've been using my 2-stop soft a lot more than my 3-stop hard lately.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2009
    Ron

Another gorgeous series everyone is a very worthy image great colors and comps. Coming up not only the coast but get to look forward to June in the Palouse gotta start taking the long routes to my accounts in Yakima, Othello and Spokane.

Ray Still

I've never photographed the Palouse or Eastern Washington but I definitely want to. It always seems like once winter is over there's no rest until the next winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall are so busy around here. But that's a good problem to have.
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    #13 made me just plain stop and admire. All of them a great and several worth of large print. But 13 well........damn that's good.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Great series, love the #6. clap.gif
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    The blue / trees is very nice. Good work.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Ron,

Of all the images I have seen from you in the past year #2 is IMO something quite uniquethumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Yes many of your images are truly spectacular but this mood is part of the truth of the hours you have been looking through the lens, way to godeal.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    #13:

507991327_rHHNe-M.jpg

IM IN AWE
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2009
    Ron,

Of all the images I have seen from you in the past year #2 is IMO something quite uniquethumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Yes many of your images are truly spectacular but this mood is part of the truth of the hours you have been looking through the lens, way to godeal.gif

Thanks Marc - much appreciated! :D
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2009
    IM IN AWE

Thanks, I was lucky, I kept hoping for some cool patterns in the foreground with those rocks and the incoming/receding waves. Here's another shot taken thirty seconds earlier:

507307278_5N5qc-L.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks! A grad ND filter, yes, a regular ND filter, no. I use a grad ND filter all the time (along with a polarizer). Often a polarizer will darken by about 2-3 stops anyway, so you can often use it as a quasi-ND filter. I've been using my 2-stop soft a lot more than my 3-stop hard lately.

You will have to forgive me on my lack of knowledge but what is the advantage of using a ND filter? I use a CP filter and I love what it does to the blues. Is it just do a I can expose longer and get less light?