Options

Protesters-R-Us

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited April 16, 2009 in Street and Documentary
One of the many... These were shot at the Tampa Fl. Tea Party. Thought I would play with a theme of one color object per pic.

C&C always welcome

513887131_vs6HN-L.jpg

513888231_Y9cQy-L.jpg

513887883_EsnZ6-L.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    I moved your post to the People / Street / PJ Forum because it deserves to be here thumb.gif

very good captures, especially #3 - they convey a strong message, energy and understanding of what's going on. (although I'm not a fan of selective color) the BW conversions are terrific also!

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Great job roadkill.......clap.gif azzaro
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    I agree with Angelo, the images are strong enough to stand on their own without the selective color gimmick. What are you trying to say with it? In the two with American flags, it seems (to me) to say that the people are somehow less real than the flags, less alive somehow. Is that what you want to say? In the one with the shirt, it calls out the shirt. Is the shirt the important thing in the picture. Maybe it is. If so, I think it might just stand out enough in a full color image.

I have seen selective color work, but very rarely. And it never worked as well as the first time I saw it (in Schindler's List.) You have to think about it very carefully because it makes such a strong statement that it usually nullifies everything else about the image.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I agree with Angelo, the images are strong enough to stand on their own without the selective color gimmick. What are you trying to say with it?
    I agree as well. To me it just looks gimmicky. Photojournalism should tell a story but I can't figure out how the selective color is adding to the story.

Wish I had known about any Tea Party in Austin. I would have gone and supported one.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Great honest input, thank you.

Selective color is something I was playing with, but now I see exactly what you are saying. I really wasn’t trying to say anything, just playing, but it does look a bit cheesy, I think I’ll go back to the straight B/W.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Well, I like the selective color in the second one... it seems fitting and fun. Over all, I like your pictures and the message is clear as you have a good selection of signs and people.