2»

Comments

• Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    We need to convince Sarah to fly over from Italy for this eventthumb.gif

Nightingale and I would love to see her againclap.gif

and your wish came true!!!! here i am, ready to go, (not quite packed yet!) and i see that kerry will be there, and also dan, who i met on catalina. YAY!! just like old times! so now i'm thinking and plotting about spending a bit of time around the workshop, as it is a long way to fly for 5 days. any ideas? i'll likely fly into denver, and i see that it is a 4 hour drive, with aspen half way along. that is flexible if you guys are thinking of doing the same, and would like to meet up and share a car? any thoughts on good spots, anyone?
    sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    and your wish came true!!!! here i am, ready to go, (not quite packed yet!) and i see that kerry will be there, and also dan, who i met on catalina. YAY!! just like old times! so now i'm thinking and plotting about spending a bit of time around the workshop, as it is a long way to fly for 5 days. any ideas? i'll likely fly into denver, and i see that it is a 4 hour drive, with aspen half way along. that is flexible if you guys are thinking of doing the same, and would like to meet up and share a car? any thoughts on good spots, anyone?
    sarah

Grand Junction is pretty neat with the Colorado National Monument being well worth the visit. The drive from Grand Junction to Carbondale (via 50/92/133) is very beautiful. It will take longer than going I70, but is well worth it. Aspen is really neat, but Maroon Bells takes the cake. It is incredibly beautiful, especially in the morning.

Here's a few pictures from my trip last year to the area. I went in the fall, but you get the idea :)

405385345_KWheU-L.jpg
    Colorado Monument at Sunrise

405385129_6AtLK-X3.jpg
    Somewhere between Grand Junction and Carbondale

405385091_fU4uP-L.jpg
    Again, somewhere along the road to Carbondale

405386162_Yq9c8-L.jpg
    Lost in the mountains along the road to Carbondale

396975044_mQhaX-L-1.jpg
    Just East of Carbondale

396301897_TQh9g-L-1.jpg
    Maroon Bells area at sunrise

396950307_DqpVx-L.jpg
    Maroon Bells mid day

Have fun!

James
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    sarah

I'm sorry to say that as of now Kerry won't be joining us. But I do hope that will change! Dan's all signed up, though, so all is not lost! :D

Sarah, I'm pretty sure that most of us stateside are going to be flying into Grand Junction. I could be wrong, but it would be a lot easier on you if you did. The hotel is a couple of stone's throws from the airport.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm sorry to say that as of now Kerry won't be joining us. But I do hope that will change! Dan's all signed up, though, so all is not lost! :D

Sarah, I'm pretty sure that most of us stateside are going to be flying into Grand Junction. I could be wrong, but it would be a lot easier on you if you did. The hotel is a couple of stone's throws from the airport.

i'm really sorry to hear that kerry isn't coming. still lots of time to change her mind!!! thank you james re tips and gorgeous photos - maroon bells looks stunning. if that's midday, what's evening like? looks fabulous. that road looks lovely. neat images - thank you for sharing. david, thank you for the tip on grand junction - as i had never heard of it, i didn't think there would be an international airport there. will check it out. always seems silly to hire a car to drive hours and leave it sitting, like i did at sierras. will check distances from grand junction to james' photo spots now....:-)
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    i'm really sorry to hear that kerry isn't coming. still lots of time to change her mind!!! thank you james re tips and gorgeous photos - maroon bells looks stunning. if that's midday, what's evening like? looks fabulous. that road looks lovely. neat images - thank you for sharing. david, thank you for the tip on grand junction - as i had never heard of it, i didn't think there would be an international airport there. will check it out. always seems silly to hire a car to drive hours and leave it sitting, like i did at sierras. will check distances from grand junction to james' photo spots now....:-)

It's not Int'l, you'd have to take a little hopper to get there. Maybe not through Denver, but some other city? Not sure. The hotel has a shuttle to the airport, and we also would be happy to pick you up/drop you off. So yeah, no car. Might not save you money (added airfare), but it's less headache, for sure.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    sarah

When I went last time, I flew into Denver and then drove to Grand Junction. I landed the morning of the begining of the workshop. The workshop started at 6pm that night and I barely made. If you have at least one or two days it would be worth it but don't count on ariving the morning of the begining of the workshop and trying to get to Grand Junction in time. There is definetly a lot to see on the way and would definitely be worth taking a extra day or two before or after.
    One more thing to be aware of is the one way car rental (assuming you rent in Denver then drive to Grand Junction and drop it off and do the same thing on the way back) can be expensive. My company has great rates with avis but then in Grand Junction they charged me a mileage fee. The one way rental was $50 but then they charged me $150 in milage ??? Of course from Grand Junction to Denver it was the rate it was supposed to be and no milage. So just be aware of the potential for a very high car rental bill.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    So just be aware of the potential for a very high car rental bill.
    -Philip

hi guys - thank you both, philip and david - i looked into the grand junction option and found a flight at 799$ into grand junction from rome, so seeing as it disappeared off the radar while i had to walk the dog, and when i looked for it 20 minutes later, the cheapest flight was 2500$! : slight panic - reloaded through a different company, and found $799, with the next option being 5400$ (!!!!) i grabbed it very fast! you're right david, it looks like a Dash 1/2 from fort worth, texas, but i'll arrive on the 28th and have a couple of days to potter off to aspen , carbondale, maroon bells and anywhere else that anyone has to suggest. my previous experience with 1/2 a day jet lag is that i will be wide awake at 2am and ready to get the car out of the rental garage as soon as they open the doors, then i can hand it back in grand junction before the workshop starts, which gives me 2 1/2 days to play. so thank you for the advice to fly to grand junction, and also the offer of pick up/drop-off. i should be ok if there's a shuttle. i aim to travel light -haha! andy knows that with that teeny little rrrs ball-head i picked up.... i would have liked the drive from denver, but then there's the drive back afterwards, so having it sit for a week is a real waste of cash, which is better spent on another workshop :-)) i'm really looking forward to this, especially as we seem to have found another workshop day - any chance of finding another?!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    hi guys - thank you both, philip and david - i looked into the grand junction option and found a flight at 799$ into grand junction from rome, so seeing as it disappeared off the radar while i had to walk the dog, and when i looked for it 20 minutes later, the cheapest flight was 2500$! : slight panic - reloaded through a different company, and found $799, with the next option being 5400$ (!!!!) i grabbed it very fast! you're right david, it looks like a Dash 1/2 from fort worth, texas, but i'll arrive on the 28th and have a couple of days to potter off to aspen , carbondale, maroon bells and anywhere else that anyone has to suggest. my previous experience with 1/2 a day jet lag is that i will be wide awake at 2am and ready to get the car out of the rental garage as soon as they open the doors, then i can hand it back in grand junction before the workshop starts, which gives me 2 1/2 days to play. so thank you for the advice to fly to grand junction, and also the offer of pick up/drop-off. i should be ok if there's a shuttle. i aim to travel light -haha! andy knows that with that teeny little rrrs ball-head i picked up.... i would have liked the drive from denver, but then there's the drive back afterwards, so having it sit for a week is a real waste of cash, which is better spent on another workshop :-)) i'm really looking forward to this, especially as we seem to have found another workshop day - any chance of finding another?!

You could see if there's room at the shootout in Acadia, and join the Dgrin crew there. Marc and Andy are flying straight from one to the other. It may be full at the moment, but I think space will open up. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You could see if there's room at the shootout in Acadia, and join the Dgrin crew there. Marc and Andy are flying straight from one to the other. It may be full at the moment, but I think space will open up. deal.gif

oh david, you are a wicked temptation person! i meant another day in this workshop, not another workshop!! my el-mucho-cheapo flight is a return flight, so i have to go home, not swan round the US looking for muench workshops, but i'll certainly be keeping my ears flat to the ground for others. this is turning into a major addiction, you bad people.
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    i'm really sorry to hear that kerry isn't coming. still lots of time to change her mind!!!

I'm holding out for more overseas workshops. mwink.gif I'm certain we'll bump into each other again some time, though. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 24, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    sarah

Amazing, I happened to find this tread active again, Sarah. Kathy and I will look forward to seeing you again. What a great treat!

As I look at the calendar, I suspect we will depart Indiana on/or about Sept 24, and not return to work until Monday Oct 12. So we will be out west from Sunday Sep 27, to Thursday, October 8.

We look forward to seeing you again and catching up on what new adventures Mull Workshop graduates have all had.clap.gif

Kerry you really need to come to this workshop.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Kerry you really need to come to this workshop.....

My funds are going toward more country-hopping this summer, but if you'd like to loan me $3,300, I could be persuaded to make it to the workshop. :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Bumpity because talking to Marc a couple of weeks ago, I learned there are a couple of changes to the original workshop that will make this one extra special. Even better than the first (which was very good I might add).

If you've ever wanted to experience Utah wilderness, this would be a great time to do it thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    This workshop continues to fill, but we've still got a few spots left.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Kicking myself for not having a regular job. I'll be a slave until Christmas. Boo!
    :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    hi david - i'm wondering what the name of the hotel in torrey is called. would appreciate knowing, for contact info for ross, and also wondering if it has internet access?
    also - what are the temps like in that part of the world? t-shirts/ sunscreen or warm sweaters /jackets or all of the above?
    camping night - all sleeping bags, pillows etc supplied? do we bring pillowslips (pillowcases, just to prove i'm bilingual..)
    thanks, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    also - what are the temps like in that part of the world? t-shirts/ sunscreen or warm sweaters /jackets or all of the above?
    Temps should range from 5-6C to 26-27C

Cool nights, days can be hot! Be ready with layers.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    hi david - i'm wondering what the name of the hotel in torrey is called. would appreciate knowing, for contact info for ross, and also wondering if it has internet access?
    camping night - all sleeping bags, pillows etc supplied? do we bring pillowslips (pillowcases, just to prove i'm bilingual..)
    thanks, sarah

We're staying at Austin's Chuckwagon. It says on the site they have free wireless! Everything is provided when camping, but a pillowslip might make you more comfortable?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    We're staying at Austin's Chuckwagon. It says on the site they have free wireless! Everything is provided when camping, but a pillowslip might make you more comfortable?

thank you david and andy for the info. oh david, you're just showing off your language skills, too!! looking forward to this - yippee!!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

That's a great spot David! I've stayed there several times. The family that owns the place is very motorcycle friendly too. And the bonus is there's a market right next door.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    That's a great spot David! I've stayed there several times. The family that owns the place is very motorcycle friendly too. And the bonus is there's a market right next door.

a market?? well, it's a start that might go down well (unless it's a market for motorcycle parts, ian?)with the friend who asked "so, tell me more about these holiday workshops you keep going on. what about the shopping, the restaurants? ". yeah andy, where's the shopping time??
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    a market?? well, it's a start that might go down well (unless it's a market for motorcycle parts, ian?)with the friend who asked "so, tell me more about these holiday workshops you keep going on. what about the shopping, the restaurants? ". yeah andy, where's the shopping time??
    Don't get your hopes up :D It's just a small supermarket. They've a few tourist t-shirts and some good stuff for a small town grocery. Oh, they sell beer and wine there too lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Don't get your hopes up :D It's just a small supermarket. They've a few tourist t-shirts and some good stuff for a small town grocery. Oh, they sell beer and wine there too lol3.gif

ah well, :cry , back to the usual workshop with no shopping or fancy restaurants. my friend here will continue to think that i am a complete washout, totally lacking in imagination, and unable to give her any useful travel tips.rolleyes1.gif
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Getting close now Sarah! Your filter arrived today.

Do we know who all is attending, yet, David?

Nightingale and I will depart on Sept 19 for the desert. We will collect Sarah on Sept 28th and introduce her to Utah's back country! We will then meet up with the group dusty and dirty on the 1st of October.thumb.gif

It's gonna be grand!

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    1st of September.:
    October :D
    wave.gif can't wait to see you again!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Fixed duh - slip of the brain!!:D

Looking forward to it, Andy!

• Options
    edited September 17, 2009
    We still have a space open for this workshop.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Man, I wish I had the moolah, I love southern Utah. Have fun ya'll.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    MarkJMarkJ Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2009
    Thanks!
    Special thanks to Marc and Andy and Dave for hosting such a great workshop, and to everyone who made it such a pleasant experience.

Safe travels, everyone.

Mark Johnston
    www.intsysint.com
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    MarkJ wrote:
    Special thanks to Marc and Andy and Dave for hosting such a great workshop, and to everyone who made it such a pleasant experience.

Safe travels, everyone.

Mark Johnston
    www.intsysint.com

Glad you enjoyed it! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus