Options

Bhutan [manda]

mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited May 1, 2009 in Journeys
Hi all,

I've just completed my last grand tour of Asia before I go home to the UK after ten years over seas.

I was lucky enough to visit Bhutan, Land of the Thunder Dragon.

#1 This is actually wall painting in the Dzong, but I thought it might make a nice cover page to start my thread.
3436548183_7161618d9f_o.jpg
#2 I was incredibly fortunate to be invited in to watch the novice monks rehearsing their religious performances. The monks were actually embarrassed by our presence and I only snapped two shots before we took our leave.

3437412294_d653b78037_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    MOAR!!! the second shot is great, if you have more shots please share them! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2009
    Thanks Chris - love the Vietnam shots.

Here's an ethical question for you .... I've merged two photos to combine the monks and nun in the same shot.

Hand my heart - I don't have any ethical qualms in doing this, my photos are just for fun and I don't submit them to competitions. I also think I've kept the integrity of the scene - they were just seconds apart.

Happy to receive c&c or flack for this confession!

3437739144_c338ceebfc_b.jpg
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    more more more clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    I dont mind it. If you pasted the eiffeltower in the background maybe.. :D but this was very possible if you waited long enough. We all edit to optimally transfer what we saw/felt to the viewer. I'm not sure the photo is any stronger by adding the nun though.. i think it would make a strong photo without her but thats just guessing. rolleyes1.gif

Great shot again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Great feedback from every one - thanks for your thoughts.

I was trying to capture the blur on the drum as well as the flared skirt, without success!

Buddhists rotate the prayer wheels as they offer their prayers.
    3437024647_f191edb1ed_o.jpg
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Like that second shot.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 15, 2009
    The second one is definitely my favourite, too.
    Mon
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Thanks for your comments.

I was hanging around the corridors when I heard some hustle and bustle. Swarms of monks passed by and I hurried to rattle off a couple of shots. The 'change of guards' was around 11am local time, I don't know if this is a regular routine, but it might help if you going to Bhutan yourself.
    3437967376_3475c95fe6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    I was hoping for an image like this on the holiday, we had actually gone to see the black craned geese - here are some of the residents instead!
    3438204516_2f1251f2a5_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    you obviously put a lot of effort into your photos (at the spot and in pp) and it really pays of! great looking images! the last is a winner as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Every Saturday and Sunday most of Thimphu's scant population and many valley dwellers congregate on the banks of the river where the weekend market is held.
    3443022541_ed6a7b9b39_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2009
    The floor was so cold, even in the sun. Typically I was else where when the lama's came out and had to run to this spot. It was roughly 4pm local time at Gangtey Dzong.
    3446475230_18c578907f_o.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    A very cool series....well executed in shooting as well as processing..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif...as for the merging of photos being ethical or not.....I say it is.....as was mentioned earlier if it had been the Eiffel...then prob not......it would not matter if you were entering into comps or not....the only place that photo could not be used and that is Journalisticaly ..... where major processsing is prohibited ............

Keep posting.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks for your comments Art!
    3458380273_cf3e84ef0f_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    manda wrote:
    The floor was so cold, even in the sun. Typically I was else where when the lama's came out and had to run to this spot. It was roughly 4pm local time at Gangtey Dzong.

3446475230_18c578907f_o.jpg
    another great shot, too bad some people go with their (western) time.. rolleyes1.gif

It is a nice juxtaposition that the guy in sweatshirt is moving the opposite way from the rest.. mhhmm a thinker.. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    manda wrote:
    Every Saturday and Sunday most of Thimphu's scant population and many valley dwellers congregate on the banks of the river where the weekend market is held.

3443022541_ed6a7b9b39_o.jpg
    nice mood and frame! the blue tones help set the mood thumb.gif
  • Options
    ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I admire your shots and ...
    This shot of children is very interesting and I like it a lot. Good work.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Thanks, here is one slightly different. This is in a different Dzong at 11am local time.
    3458425159_fdffd9db62_o.jpg
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    manda wrote:
    I was hoping for an image like this on the holiday, we had actually gone to see the black craned geese - here are some of the residents instead!

This is a wonderful shot. Nice processing. Thanks for Sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    I'm really enjoying your photos here. They are very sensitive and loving works!

In all you convey the long, long stretch of time the culture maintains - there is a feeling of changelessness, inertia, even primitiveness. But at the same time there is that chaotic flame of energy in the life of the people almost tipping the long, long balance, placidity, individual fiery storms in the expanse of tradition and religious practice, which reflect or are reflected by the energetic architectural decoration and design.

I don't think the nun inclusion is successful, and evidently you yourself are not comfortable with the licence it takes with cultural propriety.

You got the spin blur of the prayer wheel in the decorative frame nicely.

My favorite is the mother and kids at the window. Texture and color is very engaging, and the whistfulness of the mood is very affecting.

Why do you not note the gear and other shooting data? Many of us I think at dGrin cannot help but look at photos with a partly technical eye. We are not quite the same animal as those at Flickr!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Gasp, wow!!!!
    manda wrote:
    I iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif this pic!!! Wow. The expressions are priceless. The rest of the pics are fantastic too, but I love this one. Great work!
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Simply amazing image there

I like ancient relics very much

wings.gif :ivar clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    Neil - I'm more than happy to share details of photos or processing - If you drop into my flickr 'photoshoppery' group it lists my fav tutorials or LR2 settings when ppl have asked for details!

I've seen your protrait thread and I have an extensive tutorial on how to process shots a la Lee Varis / Dr Brown / RetouchPRO.

thanks Mandy
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    lovely work, i enjoyed these very muchthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Thanks for the above comments.

Neil: the threads are getting lost as I don't have a pro account any more.
    Here are my two recent ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandaherbertcom/3259600976/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandaherbertcom/2911793472/
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    3475095480_dce280fb28_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    3474383595_bce1873de4_o.jpg
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Wow, this is an amazing thread. You have a great eye and each photo
    exhibit great craftsmanship.

Thanks for taking me on this journey.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2009
    Thanks - your canyon photos are excellent.

The light is so hazy that I sought refuge in isolated shots.

3488532576_67a5f831ac_o.jpg

3487695901_38b14da6bd_o.jpg

3470861936_5e91646838_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    I can't tell you what a lucky shot this is - I was just firing madly hoping I'd get one clean shot.

3490545017_329c333ac3_o.jpg