Options

Santa Barbara on fire again

Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited May 13, 2009 in Landscapes
Some really big flames over Santa Barbara again!

I am amazed this is happening for a third time in one year:cry This was taken behind our studio at around 2:30 pm. So far the fire has not burned any structures, but it will be a long night.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NTI5MzAyMDM5Jms9eW43M04mYT03Mzk1Mzg1X2R5ZGU1JnU9bXVlbmNocGhvdG9ncmFwaHk=" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTI5MzAyMDM5Jms9eW43M04mYT03Mzk1Mzg1X2R5ZGU1JnU9bXVlbmNocGhvdG9ncmFwaHk=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Here is the embedded version :wink

Comments

• Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Some really big flames over Santa Barbara again!

I am amazed this is happening for a third time in one year:cry This was taken behind our studio at around 2:30 pm. So far the fire has not burned any structures, but it will be a long night.

So break out that 500mm and get some pictures on here.
    Looks like I be working from home (nice and far from the fire) for a few days.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Sorry to hear, Marc! rolleyes1.gif
    Hopefully it won't be as big as last time...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Third time in a year? That must get a little tiring. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be anything significant.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    So break out that 500mm and get some pictures on here.
    Looks like I be working from home (nice and far from the fire) for a few days.

-Philip

look carefully at the word "flames"

The fire has been somewhat contained over night with decreasing winds. Phil you might have to go to work after all :(
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    look carefully at the word "flames"

The fire has been somewhat contained over night with decreasing winds. Phil you might have to go to work after all :(

Well if I were blond I would claim that as an excuse for not seeing the link, I'm going to claim it was late rolleyes1.gif

Well that's good news that it's contained. I just turned on the news to see the local coverage it's looking good that it won't be another tea fire or worse the painted cave fire.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I was kinda hoping this was going to be a really nice sunset post. rolleyes1.gif

Those pirates seem like they get awfully feisty down by you! Good to hear Phil's news on the containment.
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    The fire season is starting early this year. I hope it won't be as bad as last year. On a trip through the Sierras I couldn't breathe and visibility was next to nothing. Most of Oregon was affected and we saw the clouds from the California even in Idaho.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I hope the humidity stays up, temps stay low, and no Santa Ana winds!

Why do I have this feeling that it's going to be a long fire season... Stay safe everyone.
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I hope ya'll are okay. It still feels like winter here. It does seem early for fire season.

Hoping for no Santa Ana's...

Kristine

Complete random comment... When I went to check out the KCAL website (I was curious about the fire), I saw they have a link for "car chases" eek7.gif ...I definately don't miss SoCal...
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Not so good....I live near Nik and we have smoke in Thousand Oaks. The fire flared up big time this afternoon and 70 mph winds are going though the area. My stepson is a engineer in the fire department 200 miles south and he was called up. My stepdaughter lives right off State Street in the downtown area and they are voluntarily evacuating near downtown. Not too good. I hope Marc is safe up in Goleta.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Yes, it is scary indeed. My son is in Santa Barbara this week. I'll be relieved when he gets back to Florida.

Hope all is well with Mark and his crew.

My heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and to all of the wonderful, hard working people who are fighting the flames.

Let's hope the weather gives them a break before too much more damage is done.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    I watched the fire flare up yesterday at around 2pm. Then the entire scene changed from a dissipating fire to a fire storm yet again. This morning the winds are already up and there is much more smoke. I expect the fire to be up higher in the mountains today though. I have heard of around 20 homes burnt but the assessment will come in later today. I am just happy that the Santa Barbara Mission was sparedclap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    I watched the fire flare up yesterday at around 2pm. Then the entire scene changed from a dissipating fire to a fire storm yet again. This morning the winds are already up and there is much more smoke. I expect the fire to be up higher in the mountains today though. I have heard of around 20 homes burnt but the assessment will come in later today. I am just happy that the Santa Barbara Mission was sparedclap.gif
    And 100 degree heat wave doesn't help either...rolleyes1.gif
    You hang in there, Marc! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Not looking good there tonight. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Karen
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    cpagility wrote:
    Not looking good there tonight. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Karen

If I get a chance I will post some footage of the ginormous flames I shot about 3 hours ago.

As for now, I can hear the sheriff evacuating the adjacent neighborhoodeek7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    If I get a chance I will post some footage of the ginormous flames I shot about 3 hours ago.
    :lurk
    eek7.gif
  • Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009

thinking of you and hoping that you and family stay safe, and that the studio is ok too! keep us all posted when you get a chance - i'm quite sure that there are many of us who are keeping you in our thoughts.
    sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Take care Marc.... Hope all is well
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Hey take care Marc !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    City
    The evacuation zone is extended towards downtown according to kron4. Seems like a lot more people are affected now and a lot of homes have already been destroyed.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your concerns. Was up all night after seeing the largest wall of fire lapping up on my neighborhood. Was so amazed I took these shots from a hill about half mile away.
    They are warning us that what did not occur last night could tonight:cry
    For now it is cooler and the winds are off the ocean, so with luck we wont have to evacuate.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Wow, Marc. Those are some serious flames. I've had one close to my house, too. It's not fun.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your concerns. Was up all night after seeing the largest wall of fire lapping up on my neighborhood. Was so amazed I took these shots from a hill about half mile away.
    They are warning us that what did not occur last night could tonight:cry
    For now it is cooler and the winds are off the ocean, so with luck we wont have to evacuate.

Damn Marc, it does look close rolleyes1.gif My hopes are with you! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    Damn. I guess the water tanks and hoses were placed just in time.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Yikes. Stay safe!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    11 pm news
    The city of SB has hotel rooms where the tourist have cancelled and the local residents were able to get rooms at Bacara for $199 and the hotel rooms all the way into Westlake Village are full with evacuees. 30,000 people are evacuated at the moment....The local Hyatt here is full of Santa Barbara residents with a special rate of $99 - we are 60 miles from Goleta.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    crumbs - that looks awful. i like the zooming out shots the best, but hope that the distance between you and the flames will be provided in a permanent way asap. fingers (and toes) crossed - sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    Finally a semi-normal daywings.gif

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and words, we are very thankful the wind stopped when it did. However, now it is time to clean off the entire yard, house and well just about everything from ash:cry. The choppers are still flying, imagine there are a few hot spots to douse, but at least the fog rolled in this morning and brought with it much needed humidity and cool air making for a rather nice Mothers Dayclap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and words, we are very thankful the wind stopped when it did. However, now it is time to clean off the entire yard, house and well just about everything from ash:cry. The choppers are still flying, imagine there are a few hot spots to douse, but at least the fog rolled in this morning and brought with it much needed humidity and cool air making for a rather nice Mothers Dayclap.gif
    I'm very relieved to hear that.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009

+++