Options

Is this a good deal? - Studio Strobe

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in Accessories
Ok, so I have a little extra money right now, and I'm starting to get sick of using my 580EX II for studio stuff all the time, so I'm upgrading to a high quality strobe.

On ebay, this guy is selling an Elinchrom Style 600 w/s studio strobe (older model I'm assuming). He had another one that sold for $250, and so I bidded $200 with intent to raise that closer to the end. Bid is at $113 right now with me as high bidder (hopefully will stay that way!).

I know the newer Elinchrom Digital Style 600's go for around $950, so I think this is a pretty good deal.

I don't do a whole lot of high powered shots, so I don't need 1200 w/s strobes lol... but I figured I'm going to need more than a cheap 200 w/s strobe. Elinchrom is a good brand, so I went for it.

Bidding stops at 6:13pm Sunday... so we'll see how I do.

What I want to know also, should I bid more? Is this strobe worth more than $200-$250?
Jer

Comments

• Options
    edited May 17, 2009
    auction ends in 1 hour 15 minutes... looks like I'm going to win. I'm the highest bidder at $227.. my "max bid" is at $255... I kinda don't want to win and do want to at the same time, cause I really shouldn't spend the money on this, but really want this... but if I win I win, and I have to pay up...

guess no one has insight on the matter? heres a picture of the back of the strobe...
    Jer
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2009
    aghh... nvm I'm in the clear money wise... I got outbidded... I could re-bid, but I don't need the strobe bad enough right now. It just would've been really nice to have.
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Save your money and get at least 4 of the EXACT same kind....whether the Elinchrom 600 or Alien Bees or what ever.....the reason I suggest this is for ease of use and less confusion should a strobe die on you out shooting.....if you have a mixed bag then you have think out waht is going to take the place of the dead strobe and so on....if they are all the same , then it doesn't matter.
    With Elinchrom and Smith Victor and other such brands your paying for a Name that has survived for a longtime......I use Paul Buff Equiptment cause I wanted the factory closeby (Nashville)....I buy directly from the Mfg'er so I am not having to pay those other little markups for distributorships and dealers and such......

It would have been a good strobe.....but I know ith my lights (going on 20+yrs old) that I can still have them worked on or re-built as long as Paul C Buff is in business.....with other retail strobes this may not be true because when they redo a model they make major changes not in just case looks but in the guts also and most are imported and that makes a huge difference (ion price as well dueto taxes) on stock of parts for them.....

Just something to think about..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    thanks Art... I understand thats how you should do it... I just don't have the money to buy 4 at the same time... I think I'll just wait and get AB 800's... but for now my 580EX II works pretty decent..

Heres a photo I just took tonight with it.. I'm going to post it in its own thread for other C&C because... well this thread isn't getting much traffic now is it? lol... will edit this post with a link to said thread.

Link to thread with picture
    Jer