Options

Barefoot in the Sand

2»

Comments

• Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Stellar as always Jeff, love the high key, almost looks like snow! All that and a beautiful subject. She is some lucky senior girl! She will treasure these always I am sure..... #7 could be a big stock photo seller I would think!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I've heard it said that polarizers are bad for portraits as they can cause strange skin tone problems... although I've never tested this out... What are your experiences with this, Jeff?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I've heard it said that polarizers are bad for portraits as they can cause strange skin tone problems... although I've never tested this out... What are your experiences with this, Jeff?

I tend to shy away from filters of any kind. I know some folks tout them as the best thing since sliced bread for protecting lenses, but Id rather just be careful and not put ANYTHING in front of my glass. But thats just me.

I have used polorizers for "portraits" once. I covered a wedding on the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama at 5pm...a couple hours before "good light". I used a polorizer on each of my lenses to help cut through the glare and it seemed to work well. I didnt experience any negative issues with skin tones, and it definately helped to keep the sky and water saturated. I would have used one if I had brought it on this trip.

From Gulf Shores...with a polorizer:D

347971800_A8udU-M.jpg

347977273_9Zeqi-S.jpg

347955553_ouJeL-M.jpg
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Great Set Jeff

my favs are 2, 4 & 9.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    CAphotosCAphotos Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    These are really good. LOVE #1
    I like the hair light in #5. 7, 8 are great also.

BTW, Boys are way worse! I shot my little brothers' senior portraits last year... I know exactly what you mean.
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    All of them are wonderful!!! I was wondering maybe from my point of view as a musician, maybe she would be willing to revisit #1 & #6. Playing the guitar on the beach should be very laid back and relaxed. She looks a bit stiff and over posed. I think if she can do those again and get into the moment of the music rather than the pose, you'd have million dollar shots!!!! iloveyou.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    All of them are wonderful!!! I was wondering maybe from my point of view as a musician, maybe she would be willing to revisit #1 & #6. Playing the guitar on the beach should be very laid back and relaxed. She looks a bit stiff and over posed. I think if she can do those again and get into the moment of the music rather than the pose, you'd have million dollar shots!!!! iloveyou.gif

I agree....

We had problems with that though. She is only in the beginning stages of learning to play (doing quite well though) and still has difficulties fretting the chords. The shots of her playing through a song featured some rather awkwardly pained facial contortions. BUT.....we will surely have another go at pics with the guitar in a few months. Perhaps by then she will be ready. I tried so hard to get her to sing along as she learns to play. To me its much easier to sing later....while playing...if you have done it all along. THAT would also have looked great in photographs.

Thanks for commenting.....and stay tuned! (no pun intended rolleyes1.gif )