erickerick Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
edited June 22, 2009 in Landscapes
collioure_7611.jpg

...thank you

Comments

• Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Sorry, Erick, but I don't understand this picture at all.

Collioure is a small village in the south of France, next to Spain. The only items I recognize are the cars, and probably the trees on the left. The rest is just un unrecognizable grey smudge.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    sorry for the title :-)

thank you
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Erick - would love to know more about your intent with this photo. It's intriguing as an abstract, but apart from the context of a set of images along the same theme, as a stand-alone image it looks more like a mistake than something intentional. I don't say that disparagingly - I've had some very happy mistakes that proved better than some of my more hard-earned shots. I would just like some more info about this image. Eager to be educated!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    it is a hand hold long exposure like the main part of my pictures

flou_6594.jpg

flou_6479.jpg

collioure_7712.jpg
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Wow - cool! I really like these! I think the set is greater than the sum of its parts - the images work very well as a grouping. My only critique then, on the image in question, is that it's just a little blown out in the brightest areas, relative to the other images. Toning that down to better match the others would help it, either by itself or with the rest.

Thanks for sharing your other images - I haven't seen your work before, and it helps me see where you're coming from. I admire your sense of composition, and your edgy artistic vision. thumb.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    thank you Benjer
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Very cool set, Erick!

I agree with Benjer that they work better as a set but beyond that, all I can say is I like them all. Are you sticking to a specific shutter speed for all of them?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    thank you CWSkopec

yes between 15 and 30 seconds with a Gray filter or very early or at night, hand hold or with my bike ... I wasn't drunk
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Unique and refreshing images. Well done! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    erick wrote:
    thank you CWSkopec

yes between 15 and 30 seconds with a Gray filter or very early or at night, hand hold or with my bike ... I wasn't drunk

I wasn't even thinking you had been drinking! rolleyes1.gif

I've been considering doing a series of 30 second exposures myself and hadn't considered doing handheld, but yours have come come out so well, that I may just have to try a couple for myself!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I'm not trying to be rude, But your photo's are really blurry, Otherwise they would be really cool.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    you are not rude at all , they are really blurry !

thanks to all
  • Options
    david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Hi Erick,

There could be a minority like your images, but if 8 out of 10 have adverse comment, then I think its not worth to pursue an intentional burry pictures as your style of presenting/capturing/recording it. It could be some exceptional but just cannot advocate as a style because its just blurr which normally associate with poor technique. Sorry being honest.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Interesting. They contain references to some painting from Turner on.

But camera/motion blur is very common in photography, intentional, I mean. And I quickly tire of the same idea repeated, without anything else to support it. They begin to look gimmicky and too facile.

I think each of them needs some more finely worked area in it to give it more significance/meaning, and to galvinise the image as a whole, get all parts working together.

I'd like to see one item in each image get more emphasis, contrast, sharpness, refinement - a seed to crystallise the image, to give it a focus, give it point, a reason.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    david no problem

Neil all is very common in photography , blurred not blurred , all has been tried , the only thing to do is what you like

thank you
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    erick wrote:
    david no problem

Neil all is very common in photography , blurred not blurred , all has been tried , the only thing to do is what you like

thank you

Yes, nearly true, generally and simply.

But I was talking about your images specifically and in detail.deal.gif I don't think they are as "likable" as they could be. Not for me, anyway.:D
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    a question is, maybe, why we a want so much a focus , sharpness , meaning, subject ....
  • Options
    d7freestylerd7freestyler Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    first post here...

i just wanted to say that i really liked the set of images erick. i think it's great you are doing something you like and i find the blur to be intriguing and unique. it makes my mind work and the picture acts as a guide for my imagination. i also disagree with the above statement saying if 8/10 people don't like it to change your style. why change your style just because some people don't like it? you can't please everyone... just make yourself happy with your photos! thumb.gif

(i'm not saying don't take constructive criticism, just don't abandon what makes you happy)
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    thanks d7freestyler
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I love this one!! Is it some kind of factory? ear.gif
    erick wrote:

flou_6479.jpg

I agree, that you can't please everyone. However, what I like about this set is not only the b/w treatment that seems very antiqued, but also the fact that I'm straining to make sense of the subjects in them, and that in and of itself is mysterious and fun. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    yes it is an old factory

thank you schmoo