Options

Going to San Francisco..IDEAS?

ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
I have saved numerous links from here on best places to capture photos from this lovely city.....we are leaving Saturday and was hoping for any additional ideas!!!! We'll only be there 2 days.....
I am not familiar with the city so anything anyone has to offer will be much appreciated!!!!
So excited about our visit! :)
Also if anyone has captured great photos of the Golden Gate Bridge....best place to be/stand would be nice....:)
Thank you in advance!!
"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    Also if anyone has captured great photos of the Golden Gate Bridge....best place to be/stand would be nice

Keep in mind that the fog will play a major role in any shooting of S.F.

All views of the GG Bridge can be great. For sunrise shots the Marin Headlands or Baker Beach. For sunset Fort Baker in the Headlands or Fort Point for the sun behind the bridge. Go back to sunrise areas for the bridge back lit by the sun.
    For those who live here we never run out of places to shoot.
    Do you have a specific theme that you are interested in? People, landscapes, ocean, wildlife, birds, seals, sharks or whales, boats, cars, islands, bugs, and the list goes on and on.
    This time of the year the fog comes in early and stays pretty late in the day. It also has the habit of hanging around most of the day near the city. Now this can add some nice effects to the bridge and city if caught right.

If you head over to the headlands you will see hundreds of tourists with cameras snapping everything. For slightly different views, drive past the tourists for different views.

The bridge can look great at night and early evening.

445071594_Ua8Ks-M-5.jpg

455590082_VTr4Q-M-3.jpg

321012363_8hhkM-M-9.jpg

328790904_QbHBq-M-8.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Marc in the ParcMarc in the Parc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2009
    You DEFINITELY have to go to Golden Gate Park. There's a beautiful arboretum, the Japanese Tea Garden can offer some great photo ops (especially the bridge, if you've never seen one like that), as well as the lakes, open fields, and stands of trees.

Chinatown could be interesting as well.

Me, I'd have to take some pics by the Cliff House.

And if you don't ride and take some photos of the cable cars, you can't really say you've visited.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Thank you both!!!! All great ideas!!!!! :) I'll definitely be checking them out!!!!!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    There are a lot of places for people shots, too. Chinatown has Grant Ave for the "tourist" street shots. One block west is Stockton St, where the locals shop for their goods. Adjacent to Chinatown is North Beach (and nearby Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower), which then connects up with Fishermen's Wharf. At Pier 39 are the Sea Lions basking in the sun by the boats...

Cable Cars? Take the Powell/Hyde line which stops at the top of Lombard Street ("Crookedest in World") and postcard views of Coit Tower AND a tremendous view north of the bay and Alcatraz.

Two days is not enough!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Awesome thank you!!!
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    the bay bridge is pretty at night and easily accessible anywhere along the waterfront.

Not mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattgranz/3102422742/sizes/l/

I second Golden Gate park -- the tea garden and aboretum are awesome and they have a redwood forest there too.

You can get some great shots of victorians in the Haight.

You can also go up Twin Peaks for a view of the entire city if the fog is not present.
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    the bay bridge is pretty at night and easily accessible anywhere along the waterfront.

Not mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattgranz/3102422742/sizes/l/

That shot of the Bay Bridge is very unique. It's rare to see the Bay
    Bridge shooting into The City from that angle.

Matt Granz's comments on his photo.

Shayebryd are you back from SF? You had some fog free days last
    weekend. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Would love to see your photos!

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    CherryChickCherryChick Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Besides the GG Bridge, I suggest The Embarcadero at Market Street, Fisherman's Wharf, and Chinatown in Financial District. Also, there's Mission District and Alcatraz. Enjoy your trip! thumb.gif