Options

Cannot upload photos

tilleytilley Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited July 3, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I reported this problem on Saturday but in the wrong place I guess. I was uploading photos to my website in all categories fine on Wednesday and Thursday morning. I stopped because of your maintenance program. Now I cannot upload any photos. It just logs out! I use the simple method. I have a PC with Windows XP. Please fix the problem. I have more photos I want to download. I am also going to send a e-mail to Doc Walker to fix the domain speed problem because I'm not sure how to fix it myself.

tilley

www.visualimageinc.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Tilley,
    We have found that updating your current installation of java will typically resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

If you have a Mac, it is even easier, just click on the Apple Menu and run the "Software Update" to get the latest version of Java.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Not Java Problem
    Andy -

This is not a Java problem. I have the latest version. What next? I still can't upload. It was fine before you guys did maintenance.

tilley
    tilley wrote:
    I reported this problem on Saturday but in the wrong place I guess. I was uploading photos to my website in all categories fine on Wednesday and Thursday morning. I stopped because of your maintenance program. Now I cannot upload any photos. It just logs out! I use the simple method. I have a PC with Windows XP. Please fix the problem. I have more photos I want to download. I am also going to send a e-mail to Doc Walker to fix the domain speed problem because I'm not sure how to fix it myself.

tilley

www.visualimageinc.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    tilley wrote:
    Andy -

This is not a Java problem. I have the latest version. What next? I still can't upload. It was fine before you guys did maintenance.

tilley
    Try something, please - go to your gallery, click add photos. Then at the uploader page, add this

&applet=10

at the end of the url. Hit enter. Let the new applet load, 'accept' it, and try that?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    That didn't work either
    Andy-
    That didn't work BUT I was able to get into my website through www.visualimageinc.smugmug.com and THEN I was able to download photos. I don't know why this works when going into my domain directly doesn't, but at least I can download photos somehow. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

tilley
    tilley wrote:
    Andy -

tilley
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 2, 2009
    Tilley,

Can you try uploading using Firefox? See if the same problem happens there. Get it here: www.mozilla.com Try logging into your site using the custom domain and upload some photos. That will let us know if the problem is browser related or not.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    Fixed Problem
    I changed the password on my login account and now it seems I can upload. Strange. I guess I will change my password more often. Thanks for the help.

tilley
    tilley wrote:
    Andy-
    That didn't work BUT I was able to get into my website through www.visualimageinc.smugmug.com and THEN I was able to download photos. I don't know why this works when going into my domain directly doesn't, but at least I can download photos somehow. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

tilley
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Uplaoding photos again
    I tried Firefox and could not load photos either. When I changed my password in Explorer I could download photos but once I logged out, I couldn't get into downloading again. I guess I'm going to have to change my password every time I want to load photos. I just don't understand why I have a problem.

tilley
    tilley wrote:
    I changed the password on my login account and now it seems I can upload. Strange. I guess I will change my password more often. Thanks for the help.

tilley
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Tilley,

Did you try clearing both sets of cookies for your SmugMug URL and your custom domain?

look for smugmug.com
    yournickname.smugmug.com
    and your customdomain.com type cookies and delete them. When you visit the site again, you will need to login again. But, once a new cookie is created for each URL version, it should help.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    FrancoFranco Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I'm having the same problem not being able to upload photos to any of my galleries as of today, 6/15/09 at 2:00 p.m. (MST). I have the latest version of Java and I cleared all cookies and temporary internet files related to anything SmugMug. When I went to "add photos" it did finally bring up the options window (didn't load previously) and I clicked on the "Simple" uploader. This took me to another SmugMug page, but nothing loaded in the area where the Java applet would normally load. Anything else I should try to get this working??? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Franco wrote:
    I'm having the same problem not being able to upload photos to any of my galleries as of today, 6/15/09 at 2:00 p.m. (MST). I have the latest version of Java and I cleared all cookies and temporary internet files related to anything SmugMug. When I went to "add photos" it did finally bring up the options window (didn't load previously) and I clicked on the "Simple" uploader. This took me to another SmugMug page, but nothing loaded in the area where the Java applet would normally load. Anything else I should try to get this working??? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sorry for the troubles. It's sounding like the uploader didn't install. If you could try clearing the browser cache & cookies again and restart the browser. Login, then hit the 'add photos' button. Does the 'trust' dialog appear? If so, press the 'trust' button and see if the uploader installs.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/add-photos-problems

Also, could you try the new uploader to see if it will install for you. Basically you'll be adding the following to the end of the url on the add photos page to bring up the new uploader: &applet=10
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=126990
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    richW wrote:
    Sorry for the troubles. It's sounding like the uploader didn't install. If you could try clearing the browser cache & cookies again and restart the browser. Login, then hit the 'add photos' button. Does the 'trust' dialog appear? If so, press the 'trust' button and see if the uploader installs.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/add-photos-problems

Also, could you try the new uploader to see if it will install for you. Basically you'll be adding the following to the end of the url on the add photos page to bring up the new uploader: &applet=10
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=126990

Hi Rich-

I tried several times to clear the cache and cookies. Logged in, clicked on "add photos," clicked on "Simple" uploader and still nothing. I even tried using the &applet=10 you mentioned above - still no luck. Then, I did the above again and tried using other uploaders, but still the same - no loading of the java applet in the middle of the smugmug page like normal (under the http://upload.smugmug.com..... etc... page).

As far as a "trust" dialog, it never comes up. What should I try next??? Thanks again. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Franco, have you tried a different browser? That way we can eliminate a couple possible problems. Try Firefox if you normally use IE.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Franco, have you tried a different browser? That way we can eliminate a couple possible problems. Try Firefox if you normally use IE.

Hi Doc-

I installed Firefox and still nothing. I've now tried three different browsers. I'm thinking something is going wrong on SmugMug's end, since I haven't done anything new to my computer since the last time I uploaded pictures. Plus, it seems more than a coincidence that Tilley had the same problem and posted this thread... If you want me to try something else, I'm game. Just let me know. However, I would really like to get this working today, if possible, so I can upload some new photos. Thanks. :D

UPDATE- I figured it out...The problem had to do with the "remember me" check box under the log in window not being checked. So when I would go to choose the uploader, it would take me to the new page, but I wasn't logged in. Once I noticed the new page had "login" instead of "logout" indicated at the bottom, I tried clicking on the login and logged in again. Then, it redirected me back to the upload.smugmug.com.... page for my gallery and the java applet loaded this time. So I just need to make sure the "remember me" box is checked when I log in, otherwise, the uploader page won't work. Done and done. I'll let you know if anything else happens, but I think this will work. Yeah.... :)
  • Options
    RandallRandall Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    blank page on uploader
    Hi Guys I cant get anything to happen on the new uloader page it freezes and I have to shut down my computer to get off the page... help please and Thanks Randall
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Randall wrote:
    Hi Guys I cant get anything to happen on the new uloader page it freezes and I have to shut down my computer to get off the page... help please and Thanks Randall
    Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems uploading your photos!

We have found that updating your current installation of java will typically resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

If you have a Mac, it is even easier, just click on the Apple Menu and run the "Software Update" to get the latest version of Java.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.