Options

Photomatix 3.2 HDR

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Landscapes

Comments

• Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    This is actually very natural looking for something out of Photomatix. The only problem I see is the patch of extra bright sky where it meets the trees. Other than that, nice image!
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Very, very natural looking shot, Dan. I like this a lot. Maybe I'll give the software a try. How many exposures did you blend here?
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Very, very natural looking shot, Dan. I like this a lot. Maybe I'll give the software a try. How many exposures did you blend here?

-2, 0, +2 (3 exposures)
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I just noticed that it was available today. I have it downloaded and will give it a try later at home.

Nice image Dan!
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Not bad at all... pretty natural looking i think. I do see a line between the sky and mountain. Do you like the program?
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Really nice Dan, like that leading line made by the rocks in the foreground to the mountains in the background thumb.gif
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Agree with the crowd. Very natural looking for an HDR and a very nice shot. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    i'll have to download 3.2 myself. Photomatix is really quite good, and can produce excellent results as long as you use it with a light touch... the smoothing to eliminate the "halo" effect has always been the bugaboo for this program, though, and hopefully the new version improves that...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks everyone. The new version has a whole bunch of fixes and improvements, but having tried it on only one photo I really cannot comment.

I tend to like the artificial over baked results that HDRs can have, but I purposely kept this one natural looking. Appreciate all your comments.

Dan
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Well done. really nice composition.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 14, 2009
    Well................ I would have to say that's perfection in an HDR Dan, and a lovely composition to boot. Kudos to you, and Photomatix, and thanks a bunch for the heads-up on the new version. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Well................ I would have to say that's perfection in an HDR Dan, and a lovely composition to boot. Kudos to you, and Photomatix, and thanks a bunch for the heads-up on the new version. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel wings.gifwings.gif

See you soon.
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Nicely done, and thanks for the heads up on the new version. I've just downloaded it. On first imression it looks like they've managed to change some of the algorithms to allow it to produce more natural looking shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    This is well done, Dan. Like the others have commented, it looks natural and not overcooked.

I just recently upgraded to 3.2 and it's much less frustrating to use than the earlier version I had. I may actually begin using Photomatix again.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Hi Dan
    Very nice HDR! thumb.gifthumb Thanks for the heads up about the new version. I've been using Photomatix 3.1 for some time now and really like the results. I too prefer the natural look. I presume you used the Tone Compressor option and not Detail Enhancer on this no?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Nice, Dan! thumb.gif

Since this scene isn't going anywhere...I'd try backing up a bit and doing a wider more panoramic shot...1X2 crop ratio. I like the rocks in the foreground, but I'd like to see a bit more sky and the hillside on the left.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Dan
    Very nice HDR! thumb.gifthumb Thanks for the heads up about the new version. I've been using Photomatix 3.1 for some time now and really like the results. I too prefer the natural look. I presume you used the Tone Compressor option and not Detail Enhancer on this no?

No Jack, I used the "details enhancer". Thanks.
  • Options
    aerosmith9110aerosmith9110 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    very natural looking unlike mine.. :D

nice. doesn't even look like HDR to my untrained eye :D
    Current Bike:
    Suzuki Raider 150 (figure it out):dunno
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:
    Italjet Dragster 172cc Full race
    Honda NSR250 PGMIII Full race
    Honda Dio 90 H2O cooled Full race

http://bikepics.com/members/aerosmith9110/
  • Options
    endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    HDR try
    Even though the basic composition of this shot is ok, it certainly does not contain the standards of a good hdr shot. It actually lacks the central elements that give hdr its distinct advantages. Basically, all the dark shadow areas that show no detail and should have been opened up, are still lacking any detail. Both foreground and background areas are sorely lacking in detail and clarity. The light part of the sky that some might think is haloing, is actually a natural phenomenon when the sun is just below a large object such as rock formations or mountains in the middle of the day. Assuming your exposures were correct, photomatix should have been able to handle the wide exposure latitudes in the various areas better. Perhaps more time needs to be applied to working with the program to achieve a better rendering of the scene.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Even though the basic composition of this shot is ok, it certainly does not contain the standards of a good hdr shot. It actually lacks the central elements that give hdr its distinct advantages. Basically, all the dark shadow areas that show no detail and should have been opened up, are still lacking any detail. Both foreground and background areas are sorely lacking in detail and clarity. The light part of the sky that some might think is haloing, is actually a natural phenomenon when the sun is just below a large object such as rock formations or mountains in the middle of the day. Assuming your exposures were correct, photomatix should have been able to handle the wide exposure latitudes in the various areas better. Perhaps more time needs to be applied to working with the program to achieve a better rendering of the scene.

I appreciate all feedback and am certainly open to criticism, but I do not see what you see.headscratch.gif The fg and bg detail and exposures seem pretty darn good to me, and apparently to others. Are you sure your monitor is OK? :D
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 14, 2009
    I think that's a highly subjective call and way overstated. On my monitor, I can see details in the rocks to the left and right of the scene which I know I wouldn't see on a non-HDR shot. When you reach too deep into the shadows, or go too far in any of the myriad of HDR controls, you're entering the surreal realm, along with its attendant tradeoffs (See example). Exactly where that boundary is is a judgment call best left to the artist. The beauty of Dan's image is that nobody would know it's an HDR unless he told you. I think it's perfectly appropriate to use HDR to make subtle improvements to an image. So to say the image "does not contain the standards of a good hdr shot" just because the artist didn't get as radical as you would have strikes me as a bit arrogant.

Respectfully submitted,
    -joel
  • Options
    whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    I think it's kind of like any other post processing. It's all a matter of how heavy or light handed you choose to be. Of course the extremes always look bad.

While I think you could have pushed it a bit farther, it's certainly a nice shot. Not knowing it's a 3 exposure HDR, no one can just look at it and go "That looks bad. He should have opened up the shadows more."

Good job.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I think that's a highly subjective call and way overstated.

Not overly interested in HDR myself (not to say I won't be), but I think that so many HDRs that you see are way overdone...Dan's looks like it was baked just right!

I truly believe that I can get this same look using the "Tonal Contrast" adjustments in Nik's Color Effects Pro plugin for PS. Much easier, I might add.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Very well stated joel!! I am really liking HDR, but generally only use it to help make the photo look like my eye saw it. I like to process a photo and hopefully not give away that the HDR process was even done.

Ron

kdog wrote:
    The beauty of Dan's image is that nobody would know it's an HDR unless he told you. I think it's perfectly appropriate to use HDR to make subtle improvements to an image. So to say the image "does not contain the standards of a good hdr shot" just because the artist didn't get as radical as you would have strikes me as a bit arrogant.

Respectfully submitted,
    -joel

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    HDR image
    ront wrote:
    Very well stated joel!! I am really liking HDR, but generally only use it to help make the photo look like my eye saw it. I like to process a photo and hopefully not give away that the HDR process was even done.

Ron

Well now I'm wondering if I am seeing the same scene as some others on this post. I know my monitor is very accurate on countless other images, but in this case I am not seeing anything but black featureless trees in the centerground, and black water in the left upper foreground. ???
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Well now I'm wondering if I am seeing the same scene as some others on this post. I know my monitor is very accurate on countless other images, but in this case I am not seeing anything but black featureless trees in the centerground, and black water in the left upper foreground. ???

Check your monitor!

I can easily see detail. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009

Your monitor is apparently off. There is NO black water and all the trees are well exposed with detail.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Dan, I just noticed that I have made a couple of comments in this thread and have not even commented on your photo:(. I think it is a great photo. I really the like work that you did with this one. The HDR work is very well done IMHO.

Ron

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Hey Dan
    I was just wondering if this image is straight out of photomatix or did you do some post processing on it after tone mapping.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hey Dan
    I was just wondering if this image is straight out of photomatix or did you do some post processing on it after tone mapping.

I think I did some minor levels adjustment and maybe a tad sharpening but nothing significant Jack.