Options

Third Thought on DSS#29

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited July 20, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's another idea that I have had running through my head.

Take Me Out To The Ballgame
594131753_xTm63-L.jpg

I could use C&C on this one.

I'm also trying to figure out which one to go with, so here are the others in case you missed them. I could use a little help picking one.

Swan Lake
585033509_cPhwn-L.jpg

Blue Train by Johnny Cash
588318176_VnEmQ-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 18, 2009
    1 and 3 really get my attention! 1 made me go WOW!
  • Options
    frollerfroller Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    2 and 3 for me.

2 because "Swan Lake" was the first song to come to mind.
    3 because it caught my attention.
    Fred

"Only those who can see the invisible can accomplish the impossible."
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    headscratch.gif Well Kevin, now that you're second guessing Blue Train, I feel I can rest easy :D

Definitely,,, go for one of the others and make it easy on us..thumb.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    All three shots are well done. thumb.gif

The fireworks is an attention-grabber but not for long. The gallery already has some really fine shots in it and you want yours to grab a judge's attention. I'm not sure the fireworks one will do that. But the Blue Train and the Swans can. The fireworks shot can be seen as "just another fireworks shot". ne_nau.gif But will Emily and Kerry see it that way? That's anyone's guess!

The Blue Train is unique and you processed it well with the blue tint and motion blur. Title is excellent.

Swan Lake is very representational and very lovely, as a matter of fact. Kudos to you for finding lyrics for the title it since it's technically not a song. But someone managed to set lyrics to it so there you have it! thumb.gif

Looking at Swan Lake and Blue Train side by side, I keep gravitating more toward Swan Lake. When I first saw the train picture, my initial reaction was WOW! But there's something subliminal about Swan Lake that's pulling me back to it. headscratch.gifD
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Kevin, it is dangerous to give you a month to work on one of these :D :lol4

All three are beautiful and technically proficient shots, but I agree that the Blue Train shot is the strongest one in relation to the theme; with that one I can HEAR it, if that makes sense. The others are nice images which happen to have a song title which can work with them; the train looks tailor-made to *depict* the title.

Just my overinflated 2 pesetas over my Saturday morning coffee...
  • Options
    JC3dJC3d Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Kevin-

I agree about the Ballgame shot. It has some wow effect but then it is done.

I'm somewhat torn between Swan Lake and Blue Train. Blue Train definately has more wow, yet the serenity and beauty of Swan Lake draws me back.

I will look forwar to seeing which you choose.

John
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Thanks all. It will probably come down to a toss of the coin between Swan Lake and Blue Train. I like the feeling and crispness of Swan Lake but it did not stretch my skills much. It was taken in IR, so even though there was some PP the image pretty much presented itself as "Here I am, take me". However with Blue Train, I had an image in my mind and had to really work to get it to come through. I spent a couple of hours at a train museum taking shot after shot. When I got home only one worked for what I had in mind. It took me a while in PP to get the final look only because I had never tried to get this effect before. After figuring out what I needed to do (this I'll show in the feedback thread when the challenge closes) I can now do it in about 10-15 minutes.

Oh, and by the way, I had an opportunity for a fourth idea this weekend but passed because I'm in enough turmoil with what I already have. I need to start waiting until the last week or so to begin working when we have these long challenges.eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    I, as usual, have to be different... and prefer the ballgame shot. I think it does a good job of capturing the feeling of the song. The song is just about the pure simplicity and fun of going to a baseball game, and I think this image really conveys that. A baseball game! With fireworks! Whoo hoo! Fun, simple, and good :)

Swan Lake doesn't really do it for me. I mean, it's a nice shot and all, but it doesn't really capture the feeling that much for me... it's just swans hangin' out, while the ballet is more whimsical and focuses on the gracefulness and interplay between the swans, while the choreography in it at times emphasizes the playfulness and demure beauty of the swans. So I guess I'm trying to say is that if they were doing something, if there was a particularly nice gesture or something in the image, it would take it to the next level and really be great.

Blue Train (although I have no idea what the song is and should probably have researched that before posting, bad me!) does seem to be more technically challenging and is a more interesting shot than Swan Lake, so if you are just deciding between it and swan lake, I'd choose Blue Train.

Of course, these are just my thoughts so feel free to ignore them... especially since I haven't even posted anything of my own for this challenge yet! :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!