#9: Toroweap during the day:

597298930_yXpPu-XL.jpg

#10: Group Portrait (it does get crowded:-):

597355972_72oZd-L-1.jpg

#11: Colorado:

597299015_LwoTc-XL.jpg

#12: Tree Star:

597299088_gxSb3-L.jpg

These and a few more also can be found here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/8985986_TKfgq

Enjoy! C&C welcome!
This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Wonderful set Nik. Sorry we missed the group shot.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Beautiful set, Nik. Absolutely love #1.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice, Nik. You always have an eye for composition, and got some really great colors in there. As far as the crescent moon though, yours shows exactly the lack of detail problems I was talking about. It is really hard to capture significant details on a crescent moon.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    My favorites are 3, and 9! 9 is excellent and it is during the day? Looks fun!
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Cool shots - the group one is fantastic!

The rest are (of course) great also - I didnt know you took shots without people in the foreground!

All the best,

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nik, great set, you do have a good eye for composition - I love #7 ... and all the others also of course.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Yo still got that thang goin' with horange, fella! :D:D:D

Cool shots!

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    More excellent shots, Nik!! Nice work! clap.gif

With all you guys getting around to processing/posting already I'm going to have to wait 3-4 months before posting any of mine, otherwise all my comments will be "Well, that's nice, but Nik did one that's better." Or Dan, or Joel, or Gary... eek7.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Wonderful set Nik. Sorry we missed the group shot.
    Thanks, Dan!
    Yeah, we were wondering where did you guys go. Gary even tried to catch you and tell you to come back, but you're were far gone... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful set, Nik. Absolutely love #1.
    Tom, thank you!
    I think #1 is one of my very first frames in that "session" (sunset Friday). Usually those don't work, but I guess there are always exceptions... mwink.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Dan!
    Yeah, we were wondering where did you guys go. Gary even tried to catch you and tell you to come back, but you're were far gone... ne_nau.gif

We were in a hurry to get to our hotel in Mesquite. Best shower and steak dinner ever rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very nice, Nik. You always have an eye for composition, and got some really great colors in there. As far as the crescent moon though, yours shows exactly the lack of detail problems I was talking about. It is really hard to capture significant details on a crescent moon.

Cheers,
    -joel
    Hey Joel, thanks, but I can only imagine what ISO would come out with if he were there. I'm sure *that* would be something totally out of this world...rolleyes1.gif
    And yeah, crescent moon is hard indeed. I mean, it's nothing magical, simply a very steep gradient from a blazingly hot white to a pitch dark black over a relatively smal percentage of a scarcely featured surface, so not many details are visible... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    My favorites are 3, and 9! 9 is excellent and it is during the day? Looks fun!
    Thanks, Eia!
    Yeah #9 is a dayshot, I think around 4..5pm. Me and Chris almost got a heatstroke during our little quarter mile walk during which this one was taken.
    BTW, this image is an example of the "HDR" done right in my book, i.e. not in any automated way, but with a careful application of various PS features, in this case channels-based BlendIf sliders and masks.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Cool shots - the group one is fantastic!

The rest are (of course) great also - I didnt know you took shots without people in the foreground!

All the best,

Z
    Laughing.gif, now I'm never allowed to take a picture without a person (preferably scantily clad lady:-) on the foreground, am I?

We were joking about it while hiding from the sun. I don't think any model would agree to endure what we did without a fairly large compensation.

But stay tuned, I have at least one outdoor shoot in the pipes, so I shall be redeemed in your eyes in a week or two:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    Nik, great set, you do have a good eye for composition - I love #7 ... and all the others also of course.
    Thanks Shimon, appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Yo still got that thang goin' with horange, fella! :D:D:D

Cool shots!

N
    Well, it was the only thang goin' on during da durned sunrise...mwink.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, it was the only thang goin' on during da durned sunrise...mwink.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif

Gotcha!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    More excellent shots, Nik!! Nice work! clap.gif

With all you guys getting around to processing/posting already I'm going to have to wait 3-4 months before posting any of mine, otherwise all my comments will be "Well, that's nice, but Nik did one that's better." Or Dan, or Joel, or Gary... eek7.gif
    Thanks man! thumb.gif
    You know, while this is always a concern with a group shoots, my experience with Smugmug shootouts (when you have not just 9, but 50..60 people shooting the same feature from the same spot at the same time) tells me you can always come out with something unique. You just gotta follow your guts. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    We were in a hurry to get to our hotel in Mesquite. Best shower and steak dinner ever rolleyes1.gif
    You got steak??? eek7.gif Damn, I was in a wrong car.... :cry
    rolleyes1.gif
    When we came back four of us (Quick Silver and White Knight teams) went out for lunch. It was Sunday 2pm, so naturally ALL the steak places Aaron could think of were closed. We did end up having very nice burgers at Iggy's, though. thumb.gif
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nicely done, hard to pick a favorite. It looks like you all had a great time.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Very nicely done, hard to pick a favorite. It looks like you all had a great time.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Yeah, it was fun... one hour starting 5am in the morning and an hour or so around sunset. The rest was 110 in a shade eek7.gif
    J/K, the fact we were all packed under the tiny shade of our two gazebos kept us all compact so we simply had to communicate - which was absolutely awesome! clap.gif You won't hear those kind of stories any other way... mwink.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai, I know you're the model man but it's always great to see landscapes from you again! :D

This looks like it was a really great weekend with beautiful skies. The group photo is hilarious -- who is the one pushing the cart? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Nikolai, I know you're the model man but it's always great to see landscapes from you again! :D

This looks like it was a really great weekend with beautiful skies. The group photo is hilarious -- who is the one pushing the cart? rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks, Steph! :-)

The group portrait layout:

On the grader, left to right:
    Nikolai, Gary, Chris, Jim, Joel, Aaron, Aaron

On the ground, left to right:
    Chris, Joel, Gary, Nikolai
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah #9 is a dayshot, I think around 4..5pm. ...
    BTW, this image is an example of the "HDR" done right in my book, i.e. not in any automated way, but with a careful application of various PS features, in this case channels-based BlendIf sliders and masks.

Really good work on that one, Nik. Looks awesome. So how much time did you spend on it?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Really good work on that one, Nik. Looks awesome. So how much time did you spend on it?
    Thanks!
    About 5 min I think. I know it's not one button click mwink.gif, but my MO is if a shot is worth it, it's worth spending time on it deal.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    #9: Toroweap during the day:

597298930_yXpPu-XL.jpg

Great shot Nikthumb.gif

#10: Group Portrait (it does get crowded:-):

597355972_72oZd-L-1.jpg

Ohhhh! I would not leave any camera equipment lying around with those sharks:D

Looks like a good time was had, and by all the images a great experiencewings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!
    About 5 min I think. I know it's not one button click mwink.gif, but my MO is if a shot is worth it, it's worth spending time on it deal.gif
    5 mins? Really? That's a lot less time than I would have thought. I probably spent more time on my sunstar shot. And no, it's not a one-button click. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    5 mins? Really? That's a lot less time than I would have thought. I probably spent more time on my sunstar shot. And no, it's not a one-button click. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    Well, it's a bit faster/easier when
    1) you know your way around the PS, and
    2) you know what can *possibly* be done.
    The reason I don't like uber streamlined helper tools is that they hide everything behind some potentially nice (and sometimes even flexible) UI, yet when it comes to certain things there is no way you can figure out what needs to be done to tweak it into the right direction. Or maybe you can, but you'd have to spend another lifetime learning just *that one tool*, and I have already spent one learning PS, so I think I better stick with it:-).

I guess all I'm saying: give me a low level access (like those channels) and I'll do the rest myself. I'm sure you can relate to that ;-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Hi Nik........That is a really nice set...... thumb.gif azzaro
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Nik........That is a really nice set...... thumb.gif azzaro
    Thanks Gary! thumb.gif