Options

Why so many problems with slideshows?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Sorry John, "nothing new" != "nothing should be changed". Didn't mean to give you that impression.
    I'm just waiting for someone at Smugmug to acknowledge that the slideshow error handling should be improved such that when it either receives a zero length response for an image, never receives a response for a requested image or gets some kind of error when requesting an image that the slideshow will do something intelligent like skip that request and continue on rather than stall forever.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm just waiting for someone at Smugmug to acknowledge that the slideshow error handling should be improved such that when it either receives a zero length response for an image, never receives a response for a requested image or gets some kind of error when requesting an image that the slideshow will do something intelligent like skip that request and continue on rather than stall forever.
    I acknowledge that we could do better at this.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I acknowledge that we could do better at this.
    Is someone going to file a bug so that code changes actually get made?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Already done thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Already done thumb.gif
    Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

I ment to post the status but got caught up in fiddling with the problem, it took a good portion of the day to create a reproducible test case between our dev server and my sandbox but I eventually got it to occur and am working on a fix. The problem I was able to reproduce is SS stalling sometimes if you get a HTTP response 200 but a 0 length file.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Shizam wrote:
    I ment to post the status but got caught up in fiddling with the problem, it took a good portion of the day to create a reproducible test case between our dev server and my sandbox but I eventually got it to occur and am working on a fix. The problem I was able to reproduce is SS stalling sometimes if you get a HTTP response 200 but a 0 length file.

Sam
    I guess it's better to be working on the problem than talking to me about it - I just wasn't sure it had reached the right folks until late in the day. It's kind of hard to tell that from the outside sometimes.

Response 200 with a 0 length file is the one I was able to see that caused a problem. I'm glad you set up a reproducible case.

Since we know the custom size generation can occasionally hiccup and leave the CDN with some junk, it's probably worth protecting against response 200 and any sort of invalid file, not just 0 length. Presumably, you would encounter that a little bit later in the pipeline when you go to render it.

Other errors that would be likely to occur in the real world would be an http request that just never returns a response (either a TCP error due to an interrupted connection or no official TCP error, but just never receive a response within a reasonable amount of time).

And, of course there's all the 400 and 500 errors that are less likely but should be handled in a way that keeps the slideshow going assuming other requests succeed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I guess it's better to be working on the problem than talking to me about it - I just wasn't sure it had reached the right folks until late in the day.

Hey John, you know me and us by now. We always do the right thing, and we never, ever ever ignore your posts. I even replied you several times on a precious couple of days off I that I took.

Sam's got a fix in testing already, thanks again.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hey John, you know me and us by now. We always do the right thing, and we never, ever ever ignore your posts. I even replied you several times on a precious couple of days off I that I took.

Sam's got a fix in testing already, thanks again.
    That's good news. Thanks. This will prevent many stalled slideshows, even when the CDN has bad data.

On the other part of your note, put yourself in my position. I report things that aren't acted upon so I never know what your position is on an issue until someone replies in the affirmative that you guys agree it's important and that it's going to get fixed. You want me to believe that you'll just do the right thing, but I don't know what you think the right thing is until you tell me.

I appreciate that you replied in the middle of days off, but your first replies only told me that you'd seen it, not that you guys were going to act on it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    not that you guys were going to act on it.
    Give us the benefit of the doubt, we deserve it deal.gif