Options

Primes or the Canon 17-55 f/2.8?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    When I do my "spy lens shooting" at receptions, a lot less people realize I'm taking their picture from afar w/ the 135 than w/ the 70-200. I stick out and am rather obvious even from afar when holding the 70-200.

Besides that though 135 at f2 is just mmmmmmmmm :)

Cool. However I would think 135mm wouldn't be quite long enough on FF to be really inconspicuous...? I have a FF camera (Pentax K1000 :smooch) and a 135 for it and I find to get a head/bust shot of one person I'm only like 15 feet away. But I don't have much wedding experience, is that far enough? Or do you use it more for couple/group candid shots?

Would the 200/2.8L be a good (better?) spy lens?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    My basic outfit...
    My basic outfit for travel and general photography is a pair of 1.6x cameras with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses.

These two lenses provide me with a long focal range incorporating excellent IQ and fast auto focus. 17mm is wide enough fro most of my shooting and the 70-200mm gives me a great tele ability (especially on 1.6x cameras).

I will occasionally throw in a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina when I know that I will be shooting in very tight areas. I plan on taking the Tokina to China this spring. The Tokina at a 19-38mm equivalent could fill in for the 17-55mm if that goes down. I seriously doubt that my 70-200mm will ever fail me. I fell to the concrete one day with that lens taking the brunt of the fall - it kept on shooting with no problem. Thank God for lens hoods!

The 17-55mm with its constant f/2.8 aperture and latest generation IS serves as a very viable low light lens. I have not used my 50mm f/1.8 Mk-I nor my 28mm f/1.8 lenses since I got the 17-55mm.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    17-55 in hand but now with a question
    So I ended up buying the Canon 17-55 during the bing.com cashback deal and got a good price. Bought via Buy.com (not my favorite) who was serving as a front-end for a store called 1 Stop Camera and Electronics. I checked resellerratings and the internet in general before buying from a Brooklyn address and they seemed to be legit.
    The lens came today in a Canon box but, inside, was only the manual and lens wrapped in plastic. No warranty card. Called Canon who stated a card should have been included but that I could receive service with only a receipt. Called the store who claimed that lenses sold by Canon to 'internet shops' do not contain the warranty cards. Canon did say that there is no 'gray' version of lenses as most do ship with international warrantys for the 1 year. Was hoping those of you with the lens could comment on whether you received the lens in similar fashion and your overall thoughts on whether this is seems 'legit'.
    Thanks!
    E

ok- so looks like resellerratings was wrong as more goggleing reveals this to be a 'classic' Brooklyn shop. So now the real dilemma - I have the lens so did not get hit with the price or shipping scams. Only problem now is the lack of a warranty card and that nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach about buying from them.
    Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what to do next...
    Thanks again
    E
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited August 12, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    ... ok- so looks like resellerratings was wrong as more goggleing reveals this to be a 'classic' Brooklyn shop. So now the real dilemma - I have the lens so did not get hit with the price or shipping scams. Only problem now is the lack of a warranty card and that nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach about buying from them.
    Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what to do next...
    Thanks again
    E

I have a suspicion that you have purchased a refurbished lens, not necessarily a bad thing but probably not what you were promised or expecting. I assure you that the new copy I got from B&H had all original packaging and paperwork.

It's your call what to do but I recommend returning the lens and purchasing from a reputable dealer:

B&H
    Adorama
    Tallyn's
    Calumet
    KEH

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5393
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Ziggy - hadn't even considered it might be a refurbished lens! This is what I get for shopping at 1am in the midst of a spell of insomniarolleyes1.gif
    Got off the phone with 1Stop Camera and an RMA should be en route. Hopefully I'll have only lost the return shipping in the end and will be a little bit wiser for the effort...
    E
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Ziggy - hadn't even considered it might be a refurbished lens! This is what I get for shopping at 1am in the midst of a spell of insomniarolleyes1.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I learned my lesson the hard way about ebaying-while-intoxicated. Doh.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    If it makes you feel any better, I learned my lesson the hard way about ebaying-while-intoxicated. Doh.
    That just begs the question, "So, what did you bid on/buy that you maybe shouldn't have?"
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    That just begs the question, "So, what did you bid on/buy that you maybe shouldn't have?"

A bottle of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250473372176. I treat myself to one of those per year, but in my loosened state I bought two at once.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Not sure if anyone needs to hear the end of this story but I'm excited about my purchase so had to share...

I ended up being able to return the lens to the Brooklyn shop and only lost $25 (return shipping) on the whole matter.

Today, while playing with bing.com (again), I typed in 'canon lens' and saw that that gave 11% cashback at Adorama. Felt like I hit the lottery (only on a much, much smaller scale mwink.gif) and purchased the 17-55/2.8 IS for what will end up being $920. Then got the itch to get that other coveted lens and pulled the trigger on the 70-200 f/4 IS for $1040 after the same cashback deal. So now the kit is complete and I just have to wait for the UPS guy to come! Just a bit excited herewings.gif

E
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited August 29, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Not sure if anyone needs to hear the end of this story but I'm excited about my purchase so had to share...

I ended up being able to return the lens to the Brooklyn shop and only lost $25 (return shipping) on the whole matter.

Today, while playing with bing.com (again), I typed in 'canon lens' and saw that that gave 11% cashback at Adorama. Felt like I hit the lottery (only on a much, much smaller scale mwink.gif) and purchased the 17-55/2.8 IS for what will end up being $920. Then got the itch to get that other coveted lens and pulled the trigger on the 70-200 f/4 IS for $1040 after the same cashback deal. So now the kit is complete and I just have to wait for the UPS guy to come! Just a bit excited herewings.gif

E

I have that same combination of lenses and they work very nicely together. thumb.gifclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums