Options

Another string of Soccer photos

Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in Sports
I see everyone else's, I'll add mine also... My kid is #10 in the yellow.

Click for the EXIF (trying Andy's trick)

***EDIT: Based on suggestions below, I replaced the first 3 pictures. They all have at least a slightly tighter crop. The first one I removed the photographer in the background. The second, I removed the opposing player over his right shoulder. ***

23880218-L.jpg

23880219-L-1.jpg

He usually plays Wing (usually Left Wing) but sometimes he gets stuck in the goal (he's not always happy about it). Early in the game the goalie got hurt and in he went. If the defense is good, it's all about the waiting...

23880222-L.jpg

Good game... Good game... Good game... Good game...

23880225-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    I like the angle and composition of the second photo the best. I might be inclined to remove the single opposition player with Photoshop and totally isolate your son. For sure I would clone out the other photographer in the first photograph.

I like seeing a bit of motion blur in a sports photo like this, but that is just my taste right now! If you get the shutter speed just right for photos like #2, the torso will be sharp, but you will get a bit a blur in the legs, or arms, and/or ball. The motion gives the photo a sense of speed ...

Just my thoughts,

Brad
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Thanks for your honesty Brad. These were just quick edits - wasn't trying to make anything special out of them. Now that you mention it I might have to play a little though.

I know what you mean about the motion blur - it does add a better sense of motion. I guess I was just thinking fast shutter speed to get sharper pics. Unfortunately this was their last game for this season so it'll be a while before I have a chance to try again...:cry
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Hi Phil

You have great color and exposure on these. I try to follow advice I got from a fellow soccer photog -
    shoot tight, crop tighter. Well I have trouble with the shoot tight thing cuz I am fairly uncoordinated and haven't mastered following play and changing focal length all at the same time. So I rely on crop tighter!rolleyes1.gif

That is my only suggestion for your shots - a tighter crop. I tend to fill the frame with my subject, but will leave space for the subject or ball to move into.

He also advises:
    face, contact, action, ball
    as key elements in a soccer shot.

I have lots of shots that I really like that break rules along the way, but in general if I don't meet the above criteria, i pitch the shot.

Too bad about it being the end of the season - that never seems to come here. I think we get 1 month off in fall, and one off in early spring!
    ann
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Like 'em all! I'd prefer tighter crops but what do i know anyway.....

if you know the girl in photo #1 then i say keep her in otherwise id photoshop her out.

good job,
    troy
    Phil U. wrote:
    I see everyone else's, I'll add mine also... My kid is #10 in the yellow.

Click for the EXIF (trying Andy's trick)
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Phil

You have great color and exposure on these. I try to follow advice I got from a fellow soccer photog -
    shoot tight, crop tighter. Well I have trouble with the shoot tight thing cuz I am fairly uncoordinated and haven't mastered following play and changing focal length all at the same time. So I rely on crop tighter!rolleyes1.gif

That is my only suggestion for your shots - a tighter crop. I tend to fill the frame with my subject, but will leave space for the subject or ball to move into.

He also advises:
    face, contact, action, ball
    as key elements in a soccer shot.

I have lots of shots that I really like that break rules along the way, but in general if I don't meet the above criteria, i pitch the shot.

Too bad about it being the end of the season - that never seems to come here. I think we get 1 month off in fall, and one off in early spring!
    ann
    Thanks Ann - This is really not my area of photographic comfort. I only made it to a few games this season (school season) and this is the only one where it wasn't raining. In the past I've gotten better opportunities and some better shots. These are what I got today.

I like your advice. I've replaced the first 3 photos with revised versions. They were all heavy crops before (I don't have much on the tele end) and are getting a little on the soft side. Do you think they look any better?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    Like 'em all! I'd prefer tighter crops but what do i know anyway.....

if you know the girl in photo #1 then i say keep her in otherwise id photoshop her out.

good job,
    troy
    Thanks Troy. I made the edits. Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Thanks Ann - This is really not my area of photographic comfort. I only made it to a few games this season (school season) and this is the only one where it wasn't raining. In the past I've gotten better opportunities and some better shots. These are what I got today.

I like your advice. I've replaced the first 3 photos with revised versions. They were all heavy crops before (I don't have much on the tele end) and are getting a little on the soft side. Do you think they look any better?
    Yes, I do think these crops are better. Nice job.
    ann
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    What camera and lens are you using? I would crop a little tighter and sharpen them up a bit in PS. Just my .02 cents.
    Gotcha man. I'm using a Sony F717 with only the built-in lens. Not enough reach to frame tightly while shooting and not enough pixels to do extreme crops. :cry

Thanks for your $0.02 though. I took a quick browse through your galleries. Nice stuff. You've obviously have some experience in the area of soccer photos. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yes, I do think these crops are better. Nice job.
    ann
    Cool, thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Wow, given your setup you are doing well. You have the eye for the action, I started out the same way and kept moving up as I went along. It can get quite addictive to keep going after the "best" shot. Are you using any editing software? Hang in there, your doing great!!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    Wow, given your setup you are doing well. You have the eye for the action, I started out the same way and kept moving up as I went along. It can get quite addictive to keep going after the "best" shot. Are you using any editing software? Hang in there, your doing great!!
    Thanks! Yea man, I'm using Photoshop. I do a lot better with shots that I can spend some time with and set up. I've got a soccer gallery with pics from when I first got the cam a couple years ago up through now. The sort appears to be a little out of order, but it's pretty close - newest towards the top of the gallery (but last years shots are at the very top - he was #8 last year). Click here if interested.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Phil, I looked at your sports images and they are not bad at all if you are using the Sony F717 for all your action shots,meaning that it will not focus and meter as fast as a dedicated DSLR like a D2X or something like that. You really need to get you a fast DSLR, you would be un-stoppable.

One question? Did you take all the images on you page with that camera (Sony F717) ? You have some of the best looking Landscape and Environmental images I have ever seen, the Barns and stuff are awesome..
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    Phil, I looked at your sports images and they are not bad at all if you are using the Sony F717 for all your action shots,meaning that it will not focus and meter as fast as a dedicated DSLR like a D2X or something like that. You really need to get you a fast DSLR, you would be un-stoppable.

One question? Did you take all the images on you page with that camera (Sony F717) ? You have some of the best looking Landscape and Environmental images I have ever seen, the Barns and stuff are awesome..
    Thank you! Yes, everything there is with the F717. The speed (lack of it) is the only thing about the camera that I truly find lacking. Otherwise I love it.

Funny you mentioned the Barns. I was thinking just the other day that I needed to re-shoot a couple of those (may turn out some better results with the additional experience under my belt.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 8, 2005
    Phil,

#2 has eyes and the ball with a sense of pending action. Very nice shot.
    #3 is nice because it's anticipation. One way to shoot it would be to move
    forward so you get eyes and face.

I think you did very well. Given a couple of more games, and you'll have
    a knack for it.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?