Options

$400 Budget... WWYD?

PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Accessories
I am currently shooting with a Canon Rebel XSi & 18-55 IS lens. I mostly do portraits & such, so my question is: What do I buy next? I have a $400 budget.

I have an old Speedlite 188A that functions on my camera (no tilt though). Should I get a flash bracket? A new lens? (Which one?) A different flash? I'm not too particular on what I use right now, still learning and willing to use anything, but really don't know where to start.

I went looking through a lot of posts & they made my head spin (both with all the model numbers being tossed around & the cost of the equipment).

So if you were an advanced beginner (I know, strange term, but you know what I mean) and had $400, what would you buy next?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited August 23, 2009
    What sort of portraiture do you wish to do?

Are you using available light?

Are you wishing to be paid or are these for gratis?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Tamron 28-75/2.8 - about $300 used.
    Then pick up a 50/1.8 - $80 brand new.

A killer combination. :)

Good Luck
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I know what I would do...

EF 85 f/1.8 USM...

$400 new at B&H...

Of course we know nothing about what lenses you have either....
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Fast lens.
    Canon 50MM f1.8 $110
    Canon 85MM f1.8 $410
    Tamron 28-75MM f2.8 $454
    *Adorama.com prices
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    If you sell the 18-55, that bumps you up to ~$500. I heartily recommend the Tamron 17-50 (I have one on my xsi and absolutely ADORE it) - it can be picked up for ~$300 used and is an amazing, high-quality, low-cost walkaround zoom on a crop camera like the xsi. I had no idea what I was missing until I got hold of that lens, and for the price you just can't beat it. With the remaining $200 you can add a newer speedlight with more control (eg the 430 ex), a really fast prime like the 50 1.8, or add a 55-250is (~$200 used or refurb) to give you a full working range from 17-250. You can do a lot worse than the 55-250 as a first telephoto, and you can sell it when you're ready to trade up.

If you keep the 18-55, then I'd consider getting either the 55-250 or an 85 1.8 (or its sibling, the 100f2).
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I agree 100% with divamum on the Tamron 17-50 and the 55-250IS.
  • Options
    amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I love my Tamron 17-50, but if you do mostly portraiture I recommend the Tamron 28-75. They're the same quality, but I find my Tammy a bit short for portraiture occasionally.

You could then sell your kit lens and purchase a cheap off camera lighting setup using some old speedlights.

I could also recommend keeping your kit lens and purchasing the 85 1.8.

Good luck.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks so much for the feedback!! I love the responses so far. I'm leaning towards keeping my kit lens for now and adding the 50mm 1.8; but still researching the rest of what I've read, so thanks and to answer Ziggy:
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What sort of portraiture do you wish to do?

Are you using available light?

Are you wishing to be paid or are these for gratis?

1. Kids, Families, Teens, that sort of thing

2. Yes, I prefer outdoor or natural lighting than setting up a mobile studio with lighting.

3. A little of both
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I am currently shooting with a Canon Rebel XSi & 18-55 IS lens. I mostly do portraits & such, so my question is: What do I buy next? I have a $400 budget.

I'd recommend you buy a very sharp, lightweight, available light prime
    that is excellent for portraits,the Canon 85mm f/1.8 with ET-65 II Hood.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Go with a ...
    Nice, light, fast, sharp prime: Both prices are B&H
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    Lots of good advice above. But I have a different suggestion: rather than let your decision be driven by your current budget, think about what you really need/want as your next purchase. If it turns out to be beyond your current means, stash the $400 away till you save up enough. You could get a fantastic light meter for $400, for example, but that probably doesn't make sense for you right now.

OTOH, if you are just really itching for a new toy, both of the Tamron f/2.8 lenses mentioned by other posters are excellent choices. I have the 28-75 and love it.
  • Options
    KD5NRHKD5NRH Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    o if you were an advanced beginner (I know, strange term, but you know what I mean) and had $400, what would you buy next?

Is that $400 in addition to the $400 you've budgeted to pay us for this advice, or were you just planning to stiff us and blow all your money on toys?

blbl.gif
    Blog - updated irregularly
    Photos - still under construction, suggestions welcome
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited August 24, 2009
    ... 1. Kids, Families, Teens, that sort of thing

2. Yes, I prefer outdoor or natural lighting than setting up a mobile studio with lighting.

3. A little of both

Considering that you have a Canon crop 1.6x camera and given your budget and your goals, I suggest that the Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM is a good recomendation. While it's too long for many indoor portraits, it is a very good length for outdoor head and head-and-shoulders. If you plan ahead and find the space for shooting, you can back up to do 3/4 length and full length portraits with good bokeh as well.

It is also a good compliment to your existing zoom in that it gives you a focal length beyond what you currently have.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009

I have an old Speedlite 188A that functions on my camera (no tilt though). Should I get a flash bracket? A new lens? (Which one?) A different flash? I'm not too particular on what I use right now, still learning and willing to use anything, but really don't know where to start.

I went looking through a lot of posts & they made my head spin (both with all the model numbers being tossed around & the cost of the equipment).

So if you were an advanced beginner (I know, strange term, but you know what I mean) and had $400, what would you buy next?

You never really mention what YOU think YOU are missing here out of your current gear. Could be, you NEED nothing. If you need nothing, then it changes to what you want? And lots of good advice above based on what many folks would want.
    tom wise
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Considering that you have a Canon crop 1.6x camera and given your budget and your goals, I suggest that the Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM is a good recomendation. While it's too long for many indoor portraits, it is a very good length for outdoor head and head-and-shoulders. If you plan ahead and find the space for shooting, you can back up to do 3/4 length and full length portraits with good bokeh as well.

It is also a good compliment to your existing zoom in that it gives you a focal length beyond what you currently have.

Given your further information, I would agree wholeheartedly with this. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that you'll probably enjoy the 85 1.8 more than the 50 1.8 - the 50 is an astonishing lens for the price, but the 85 is a much faster and more reliable focus-er, and the longer focal length makes it easy to blur out the backgrounds. I swapped out my 85 for a 100 simply because I needed the longer reach, but the 85 is a terrific lens, and can be found on the used market for around $300-340.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    My advice is always...
    My advice is always to anchor your lens battery with the very best medium range zoom lens that you can afford because you will probably be using that lens for most of your photography.

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a very nice all-around lens on a 1.6x camera. However, it you do a lot of portraiture, the 28-75mm f/2.8 might be a better choice since:

The 50-75mm range (80-120mm equivalent) is, IMO, better for portraiture, especially head and shoulder portraiture and since you have a 18-55mm IS Kit Lens to cover your wide needs. The 28-75mm lens is about $455 at Adorama which is a bit more than your $400 budget. However, it would do more for you than the 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron; considering that you already have the 18-55mm.

After using the 28-75mm along with your kit lens for a while, you might find that you are very happy with your setup. However, you might want a longer lens and the 28-75mm meshes quite well with either the 70-200mm f/4L lens or the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens. If you want an improvement on the shorter side, the 28-75mm will mesh very well with the 12-24mm f/4 Tokina which is a bargain at Adorama ($400 for the original version, $500 for the second version).