Options

Kristine the Conqueror

PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in People
This is a photo that I took of Kristine in MI. last year. The knife is from the movie, The Hunted. It comes with the option of kydex plastic or custom leather sheath. It was requested by the man who makes the leather sheaths for the knife.

Her skin and other overall colors were true to scene but her eyes had an unnatural blue tint to them. She'd previously had eyeliner on so that may have had something to do with it, but we didn't notice it at the time. Anyway- Following some good advice here, I spent quite a bit of time getting Vista to save Adobe Gamma settings and then I duplicated the layer and just desaturated the offending areas. I tried to resize it drastically but even at 50 percent, I couldn't get it to load here, so forgive me for having to use the PROOFED one from the Smugmug page. What do yall think of the revision?
632935399_SkBhS-XL.jpg
Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    So we (I?) can understand better: this was basically a product shoot for the sheath for the knife?

Guessing that this is the case:

Sometimes I've thought that magazines etc. for "more male oriented" products that use a female model tend to forget the product and only worry about the model. If this is what moves product, then OK, but it doesn't work on/for me. I'd suggest a more product centered image; of course she's helping to draw attention to the product, so she's a primary aspect of the image, but the product itself needs to be more of a primary, rather than secondary or tertiary focus point, I'd say.

OK, I've got opinions. They're mine and I share them, maybe too easily. :D However.... Bluntly, this is what I saw when I looked a the image:
    1) eyes/face
    2) eyes/face
    3) breast
    4) eyes/face
    5) your text (where I got the knife sheath bit from)
    6) eyes/face
    7) knife sheath.

One more comment on model pose/props: the hat being at that angle, with the fluff on her forehead and the general lack of clothing said to me: unrealistic.
    I said earlier I prefer realistic! rolleyes1.gifForgive me. I know a lot of men prefer a soft-touchable woman, even dressed up as if she's hard and tough, over a truly hard and tough woman.

Like I said, if it moves product...

(Admission: I'm somewhat hesitant to post this....)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Thanks. I had struggled with that myself. I was up in MI. and shooting another and the knife was FEDEXed up there with a note, followed by a quick phone call to my host, then forwarded to me as to what he wanted. The model had never even modeled before at all, but she fit his description, and was willing to put up with it. They had this in mind for a poster at the BLADE show in Vegas, but I don't know whether they used her or not. They certainly paid her well, and she's been hooked ever since.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Heh. "Up in Michigan." Heh heh.

May I ask: where in Michigan?
    I live pretty south (Brighton, N of Ann Arbor), but used to be in Houghton (Keweenaw Peninsula, UP Michigan).
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Sorry, My experiences up yonder are rather limited. These were up in the Durand/Flint area. How far is that from you?

We also spent some time up on Bois Blanc Island, which is just a wonderful place to camp, if you get the chance.

KAW.

• Options
    MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    nate shame on you for looking at her ...
    eyes face
    eyes face
    boobs ... lol jk :)

Ok..I think its a creative composition for sure.. Im not sure what you were looking for as far as CC but I can tell you my HO. I think generally speaking "less is more" for product photography. I felt very distracted by all that was going on in the image.. the mud, moss, woods, I would have never guessed it was a product photo if I had not read your post. Because the product is sooo low in the image... my attention keeps wandering up to the top 2/3 of the image... and there is something off about her eyes... and expression that is distracting. I dunno.. I picture something covering her face (the hat pulled far forward.... like shes looking down) or even her looking off into the woods to bring my attention back to the sheath... does that make sense?
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    I wish I had thought of that at the time...headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    PhotosbyKW wrote:
    Sorry, My experiences up yonder are rather limited. These were up in the Durand/Flint area. How far is that from you?

We also spent some time up on Bois Blanc Island, which is just a wonderful place to camp, if you get the chance.

KAW.
    Brighton is about 45 minutes or so south of Flint; Durand is (shortest) 34 miles or (fastest) 53 minutes.

Bois Blanc Island: wow! That does look like a nice place to go, just based on how far north it is. Being an island near Mackinac, I figure it must be pretty nice on the "naturey" scale, if you will. rolleyes1.gif
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

• Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    It was amazing. We spent several days doing primitive camping under a tarp on the isolated upper end. There were turkeys deer, and wolves about in broad daylight. I'll post a couple of photos under the landscape section. They view was pretty spectecular, without much editting at all.

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    my 2¢,

Were can I buy one......

These days, this fits right in. The fact that the leather sheath is clean highlights it greatly.
    Very nice....thanks for sharing
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    Thanks. I was originally worried about the knife blade being scratched as it had just in from a gear review, but maybe it wasn't that big of a determent.

Knife is a TOPS Tracker, and sheath is from Hedgehog Leatherworks.

KAW.

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    What knife? I couldn't get past the boobs.mwink.gif
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Heh. "Up in Michigan." Heh heh.

May I ask: where in Michigan?
    I live pretty south (Brighton, N of Ann Arbor), but used to be in Houghton (Keweenaw Peninsula, UP Michigan).

Nate, are you a former Techie by any chance? I graduated about a year ago... Just wondering.

(sorry for the thread hijack)
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Nate, are you a former Techie by any chance? I graduated about a year ago... Just wondering.

(sorry for the thread hijack)
    Yep, from 1996! Glad to see a fellow Techie on DGrin!

(wait, I just dated myself, didn't I? ;) Oh well.)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com