Options

Leica upto something 9/9/09

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Cameras
Looks coool<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QBcZ1jaWXRw&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    interesting.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Yeah, it will be nice to see reasonable priced dslr system from Leica.

Or it always feel good to drool about the gear...
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    An important question will be answered 9/9/09
    And that question is....... Can it be done? An M sized body with an FF sensor given current technology? It will also be interesting to see if they expand their partnership with Panasonic (i.e. a Leica Micro 4/3 body and lenses).
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Very interested and very unable to afford. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    "for all photographers, novice and professional", rolleyes1.gif

Providing deep enough pockets of course.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    What are the odds we'll see more 4/3rds lenses?

One in a hundred, if I'm lucky. :D
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Leica up to something 9/9/09
    Gotta be an M9, surely! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Hehehe, seriously guys i posted it just for your Info... i really don't have any interest in expensive cameras...

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Anything Leica does is noteworthy for many reasons. This will obviously be a significant announcement for Leica.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited September 1, 2009
    Gotta be an M9, surely! ne_nau.gif

An M9 introduced on 9/9/09, hmmm ...?

Sounds like the perfect marketing ploy to me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    and it's only going to be $9,999.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I'd love to get my hands on one of those M8's, but I dont have a car I can sell, and I've only got 2 kidneys.ne_nau.gif I'm interested to see what they are doing.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    and it's only going to be $9,999.

You are wrong there. $9,909
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    M9 and X1 leaked
    Found on Engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/leica-m9-and-x1-leak-out-ahead-of-schedule/#continued
    "Wondering what Leica has up its sleeve for that destined-to-be-overshadowed event on the 9th? Well, wonder no more: these pics of the long-rumored M9 and something called the X1 just leaked out, along with some specs. We're told the M9 will sport a full-frame 18.2 megapixel sensor and improved low-light performance, but the real surprise is the X1, pictured above, which'll supposedly have a 12 megapixel APS-C sensor, a fixed 24mm lens and that funky grip handle, by which we're oddly fascinated. Maybe Leica's got some surprises left for the 9th after all -- pic of the M9 after the break."
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I just want to see the price tag.

It gonna be big.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Perhaps a spiritual successor to the Panasonic LC1 that Leica co-branded a few years back (and considered a classic by many).

eoren1 wrote:
    Found on Engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/leica-m9-and-x1-leak-out-ahead-of-schedule/#continued
    "Wondering what Leica has up its sleeve for that destined-to-be-overshadowed event on the 9th? Well, wonder no more: these pics of the long-rumored M9 and something called the X1 just leaked out, along with some specs. We're told the M9 will sport a full-frame 18.2 megapixel sensor and improved low-light performance, but the real surprise is the X1, pictured above, which'll supposedly have a 12 megapixel APS-C sensor, a fixed 24mm lens and that funky grip handle, by which we're oddly fascinated. Maybe Leica's got some surprises left for the 9th after all -- pic of the M9 after the break."
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    That makes no sense, it looks just like the GF-1 with lots of film features that don't seem to make sense. (like the circle on the left hand side which looks like some bump to show where the roll of film would go.) Maybe they took the GF-1 and made it like a DP2 with the fixed lens, but why when you could have people of all M4/3 cameras spending big money for Leica glass. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    M9...

Makes me think of all the body parts and souls I would need to sell to buy one. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Gotta be an M9, surely!
    Surprise! :D
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Surprise! :D

Man you deserve one M9.

My Gallery
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    You are wrong there. $9,909
    Actually, it's $6999.99. A bargain! When you consider what you get - the best digital rangefinder that uses the best Leica lenses, I have no problem with the price. You get what you pay for and you are paying for lots of exquisite engineering in a body that doesn't call attention to itself and is quiet and durable. I've ordered mine. Just had a hard time deciding between black paint and gray.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Man you deserve one M9.
    I second that motion. Can we put it to a vote now? :D
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2009
    Actually, it's $6999.99. A bargain! When you consider what you get - the best digital rangefinder that uses the best Leica lenses, I have no problem with the price. You get what you pay for and you are paying for lots of exquisite engineering in a body that doesn't call attention to itself and is quiet and durable. I've ordered mine. Just had a hard time deciding between black paint and gray.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

Tina, it is my favorite machine. I have seen so many great photographers using this camera now you too !
    Though i don't know about picture quality because i never went ahead of 400D :D:D:D good luck with your purchase. If you can come to Pakistan we can go out together for street photography session :ivar

My Gallery
  • Options

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

I'm not convinced that it's a true "bargain", but if you need the qualities of the camera and system it may be a pretty good "value".

Have you prevously used a digital camera that did not have an anti-aliasing filter?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Have you prevously used a digital camera that did not have an anti-aliasing filter?

Yes, I use two Leica M8s. The lack of the AA filter is one of the best things Leica ever did. Compared to my Canons, the files have much more detail and never need to be sharpened. If I were a wedding photographer and photographing a lot of black polyester, I might have a problem with no AA filter, but for my kind of work, it's perfect.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    Yes, I use two Leica M8s. The lack of the AA filter is one of the best things Leica ever did. Compared to my Canons, the files have much more detail and never need to be sharpened. If I were a wedding photographer and photographing a lot of black polyester, I might have a problem with no AA filter, but for my kind of work, it's perfect.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com

Great! I really enjoy the examples on your site, and I greatly look forward to what you can accomplish with the M9. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    I had to give the M9 serious thought. It's big downside compared to Canon and Nikon is going to be low light. It's hard to be in this game without a serious fab and video tie in. This is Canon's strong suit and Nikon has teamed up with Sony to get it from them. Seems that Leica has to get it from Panasonic and I don't think their infrastructure is on par is on par with Canon or Sony.

Still, what a great package. FF in a nice small package with access to all those great lenses. Still have to think, don't you.

On the other hand, the X1 really does seem to be a loser compared to the Panasonic GF1. You can buy two GF1s and three Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses for the price of the X1. I suspect there is a lot of shared DNA here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    If it floats your boat and you have the cash why not? But for someone like me, I don't think it is a real bargain.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Hmmmm....... Saving pennies. I'm not saying I want an M9 (don't know if I do) but saving pennies just in case. It has a similar price to the D3x, probably out resolves it (thanks to lack of AA filter) and is the size of an Olympus E-4X0. What's not to like? I do hear the AF system sucks though :D.