Options

Katie and Wes Wedding!!!

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Weddings
Hello friends, here are a few of my favorite images. My favorites can be found here: http://lisarhinehart.smugmug.com/Weddings/Katie-and-Wes/Katie-and-Wes-wedding/9409691_pk99P/1/637339178_b5YRw

C&C are welcome. I still need to run these through actions and do a bit of work in LR, but he's what I have. --Lisa

1. Personal touch
637339178_b5YRw-M.jpg

2. Radiant skin.637312140_cEaTJ-M.jpg

637312721_YAfBX-M.jpg

637313458_Dwbhs-M.jpg

637346486_oK6S8-M.jpg

637342039_c5FPx-M.jpg

637351394_2Hsan-M.jpg

8.637351775_spwhZ-M.jpg

9.637348561_5UpHQ-M.jpg

10 after giving her mom the rose.637350025_ZDm9k-M.jpg

637353355_FUgyP-M.jpg

637349571_DSQvk-M.jpg

637352651_7QM8M-M.jpg

637349251_gVjj8-M.jpg

637355633_27Kxp-M.jpg

637354785_JUvnD-M.jpg

637357162_a2TYj-M.jpg

18.637346915_9UGEi-M.jpg

637359231_sZJcb-M.jpg

20. She LOVED meatballs
637360830_NrHEM-M.jpg

637362876_jJWgr-M.jpg

637364580_K8xYq-M.jpg

637367645_2Vzvj-M.jpg

637363560_RmpnS-M.jpg

25 first dance
637334379_7mvqR-M.jpg

26. Mother son
637335462_WNWGB-M.jpg

637336964_h6bfk-M.jpg

27637339964_H8mpr-M.jpg

637345437_rWRc3-M.jpg

637344068_QBjxo-M.jpg
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    some lovely images. #3 reminds me of alexandras shot. The expression on the girls face in #10 ..haha! You sure have come a long way in a short time. thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    #27 is Hilarious! Did the guy think that was the bride's leg? rolleyes1.gif

Were you using a flash bracket?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    BRAAAAVVAAA! clap.gif All that hard work in the last few months really paid off for you - these are great! I particularly like 3, 8 and 21.

Were they happy with the results too?
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Nice job, Lisa! Congratutions on making it through your first as primary(?)...you handled that backlighting at the reception beautifully, as well as your other varied lighting situations.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    you are too kind
    Thanks so much for your kind words and all the help you gave me to get this far!!! I am happy with them.

Q: It funny you say that about #3-- I was at the salon and asked myself what I thought he would do-- I love his work. :)

DM: They haven't seen them yet-- they actually just returned form thier honeymoon. I told them I'd have the pics done by the 12th. I have my new computer set to arrive on Friday, so that should give me about a week to install and get familiar and run some actions on them and get them organized on my site.

M: It was so funny and I got it all on camera-- the girl who caught the bouquet wasn't into it (look of surpize then terror)-- she sat on the chair then her dad whispered something to her while the guy who caught the garter was blindfolded. She got up from the chair and was replaced by the best man who took a huge swig of beer and rolled up his pant leg-- the crowd was roaring! lol

S: Is it that obvious? Thanks for the lighting comments!

I was so nervous as the wedding was moved to that location at the last minute (from a gorgeous outdoor spot surrounded by blooming hydrangeas and boxwoods) and literally 1 minute before the ceremony the official said he decided I couldn't use the flash since we were indoors. I tried to not make it too obvious in these shots, but she walked down the isle next to a folding table with liquor on it and all the djs equiptment.
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    #3 is something fantastic! Lovin that shot!

Also love #8, but I am a sucker for little cuties!

A good job that you can be proud of, Lisa!

clap.gif
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Lisa these are great! I really love number three...and you did a wonderful job with the lighting even with the quick change. You should be very proud of yourself!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    These are lovely! I love the backgrounds for 21 and 22, great setting for shots.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hi Lisa,
    You caught some really nice moments here.
    I bet you were freaking when he said you could not use the flash, that is a tough deal, especially to be handed that on your first paid wedding.
    Glad to see you hung in there and got the pictures.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Getting the right exposure: picking up more light on-site
    Thanks all for your kind words and support!

I am wondering about how to brighten my exposures as many seem a little dark. I know I can go into LR and bring dark ones up there (and I will), but I'm wondering about getting a brighter exposure on-site. I know it was overcast and I couldn't use a flash, but I'm sure there was a better way to expose some of these, here are my thoughts:

1. Have an eye out for the best light (For the candids there isn't a whole lot to be done for this aside form changing angles, but i have a lot of control over this in choosing locations for formals) I'm sure it will come with time.

2. Open the app up a little more (Sometimes I think I'm overly cautious of DOF, ie keeping the whole bridal party in focus all the time and shy away from wider apps (2.8) in favor of smaller ones (6.3+ etc)-- I don't think it's as neccesary as I originally thought. Also the shots I like the best-- getting ready shots, etc were mostly taken on 2.8 or lower with my 50mm.

3. Allow for a slower shutter speed (I keep my shutter around 1/120 indoors to prevent motion blur-- It's probably too conservative)

4. Use a tripod, reflector or slave light-- all of which seem to be cumbersome for the level I'm at right now-- the slave light might be more expensive than it is cumbersome, I don't know.

5. I know my camera (50D) has settings (cloudy etc.) to help compensate exposure for that, but I have been hesitant to use them. There is also a way to apply that type of technology when I import photos to LR, but again, I haven't used it.

Thanks!!!
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Thanks all for your kind words and support!

I am wondering about how to brighten my exposures as many seem a little dark. I know I can go into LR and bring dark ones up there (and I will), but I'm wondering about getting a brighter exposure on-site. I know it was overcast and I couldn't use a flash, but I'm sure there was a better way to expose some of these, here are my thoughts:

1. Have an eye out for the best light (For the candids there isn't a whole lot to be done for this aside form changing angles, but i have a lot of control over this in choosing locations for formals) I'm sure it will come with time.

2. Open the app up a little more (Sometimes I think I'm overly cautious of DOF, ie keeping the whole bridal party in focus all the time and shy away from wider apps (2.8) in favor of smaller ones (6.3+ etc)-- I don't think it's as neccesary as I originally thought. Also the shots I like the best-- getting ready shots, etc were mostly taken on 2.8 or lower with my 50mm.

3. Allow for a slower shutter speed (I keep my shutter around 1/120 indoors to prevent motion blur-- It's probably too conservative)

4. Use a tripod, reflector or slave light-- all of which seem to be cumbersome for the level I'm at right now-- the slave light might be more expensive than it is cumbersome, I don't know.

5. I know my camera (50D) has settings (cloudy etc.) to help compensate exposure for that, but I have been hesitant to use them. There is also a way to apply that type of technology when I import photos to LR, but again, I haven't used it.

Thanks!!!

The pics look good! You did a good job....

Check this out...
    http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/3-dragging-the-shutter/
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2009
    Happy with wider app results
    I tried opening the app more at the reception last night and kept it closer to 2.8 and was so glad I did!

D&D 1. Showing off thier rings to friends
    640632925_r7rYB-L.jpg

D&D 2. Laughing at best man's speech
    640637094_k9NWK-L.jpg

D&D 3. Singing Adam Sandler's "Grow Old w/ You"
    640633744_G6QUR-L.jpg

D&D 4. First dance
    640635627_y9jdN-L.jpg

D&D 5. I did have to watch out for this-- with App Priority 2.8-- call me crazy, but I kind of like the way this turned out.
    640635200_22qXG-L.jpg

D&D 6. Cake smash!
    640634268_towwS-L.jpg

I also noticed that my exposure slashes that can be seen through the view finder are always in the negative no matter what I do-- even if I dial to the green square (auto mode). It's as if I told my camera that I want the image underexposed. I'll have to check the manual for that one-- does anyone know what I'm talking about or think they have solved the mystery?

--Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Lisa, I would tend to agree that you should try and stop down a little more. I love the concepts behind a lot of your shots, but I think the high f-stops are causing to many distractions from the subject.

I just shot a wedding a couple days ago and stayed right between f1.4-3.2 almost all day. I shot f2 almost exclusively at the reception. See it here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=142965

The reception photos look much better to me, and yes, I think your nice shutter-drag shot looks cool!

Kee
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    agreed
    Cool-- thanks, I agree. So what did you use for group shots like bridal party? How about family shots? --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Cool-- thanks, I agree. So what did you use for group shots like bridal party? How about family shots? --Lisa

I never go higher than f/4. Every lens is different, so I might be able to get away with f/3.2 for a group shot while you may need f/5. I would just play around with a set of sidewalk stairs and get familiar with the DOF characteristics of your lens. Focus on the center step, and then see what kind of f/stop you need to get good sharpness on the two nearest steps. The distance between you and your subject also play a huge role in the DOF.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Lisa, why haven't you posted any of the ones you took at some of the other weddings, like Becky and Joe????!!!???? eek7.gifdunno I had a look round your gallery last night and my jaw nearly dropped - those are breathtakingly beautiful shots (especially the ones in and around the stairs/wall, and the bride at the railing). They're some of the best of your work that I've seen :D
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Lisa, why haven't you posted any of the ones you took at some of the other weddings, like Becky and Joe????!!!???? eek7.gifdunno I had a look round your gallery last night and my jaw nearly dropped - those are breathtakingly beautiful shots (especially the ones in and around the stairs/wall, and the bride at the railing). They're some of the best of your work that I've seen :D

+1 thumb.gif Lisa, I am surprised! The Becky/Joe gallery is some of the best work I've seen from you. Nice job.
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    +1 thumb.gif Lisa, I am surprised! The Becky/Joe gallery is some of the best work I've seen from you. Nice job.

Lisa second shot that wedding with me, and I agree, she did a great job! I've really seen her grow leaps and bounds in the last few months.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    plans to marry the creative and technical this saturday
    Well thanks:) I think they are my best so far-- maybe I'll post them, big shout out to M for her killer poses.

I think at least part of it is that I don't have to be so conservative with my f stop and can't be afraid to be creative. I think Kee is right-- if the f stop were wider I could have brought focus on to the exact idea I wanted rather than playing it safe and keeping it all in focus.

I'm planning to bring more of that in next weekend's shoot!

As a side note-- in the future I would like a wider prime than the 50mm or a camera without a crop factor-- with the crop factor of my 50D combinded with my 50 mm, I have to be like 12 feet away from whatever I'm photographing to get that bokeh and prime clarity. Until then, I plan to be standing back a bit and using my 17-55 2.8 when I can't. :)

--Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    As a side note-- in the future I would like a wider prime than the 50mm or a camera without a crop factor-- with the crop factor of my 50D combinded with my 50 mm, I have to be like 12 feet away from whatever I'm photographing to get that bokeh and prime clarity. Until then, I plan to be standing back a bit and using my 17-55 2.8 when I can't. :)

Sounds like it''s time to pick up a 5DMK2. :D