Options

Help spend my $200 - not on you ;-)

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in Accessories
So, with the help of all of you - I bought an XTi a few months back, now I have $200 that I am able to spend and need help figuring out what will best help or just save it to buy more glass.

So I have the following -

Canon XTi |
Glass - Canon 28-90mm | Sigma 70-300mm F4/5.6 | Canon 28-105mm

Backpack, 2 tripods.

Now what I was thinking of getting -

External Flash (would take the entire $200 in shot plus some I think)
Opteka Grip w/ 2 extra batteries - $69
Strap - my smug one has yes to arrive and my neck is getting chewed up with the factory one - no clue cost
Poloraizer Filter (I have one but it is 52mm instead of 58mm) - $40ish

So - I am asking you guys since you are all more experienced where I would be best to spend the money - if there is something like a lens that I could get for $200 that is worth it and I would be better buying that let me know :)

Thank you in advanced :)

brv

Comments

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    So, with the help of all of you - I bought an XTi a few months back, now I have $200 that I am able to spend and need help figuring out what will best help or just save it to buy more glass.

So I have the following -

Canon XTi |
    Glass - Canon 28-90mm | Sigma 70-300mm F4/5.6 | Canon 28-105mm

Backpack, 2 tripods.

Now what I was thinking of getting -

External Flash (would take the entire $200 in shot plus some I think)
    Opteka Grip w/ 2 extra batteries - $69
    Strap - my smug one has yes to arrive and my neck is getting chewed up with the factory one - no clue cost
    Poloraizer Filter (I have one but it is 52mm instead of 58mm) - $40ish

So - I am asking you guys since you are all more experienced where I would be best to spend the money - if there is something like a lens that I could get for $200 that is worth it and I would be better buying that let me know :)

Thank you in advanced :)

brv

I think the gear purchase should be made once you see where your system is letting you down. But if you are just talking about rounding everything off for the hell of it...

I would go for a flash first.
    Then I would sell both 28-90 and 28-105 and get a Tamron 28-75 2.8 ~$250
    Then I would sell the 70-300 and get a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 ~$650
    Finally I'd save for the Canon 10-22mm ~$650

Then I would feel I had a respectable kit and any further upgrades would give me less bang for more buck.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    definitely a flash..no doubt.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    i love having access to a wider field of view than the 28-105 gave me (lovely lens on full frame, but it's not as useful on a crop body IMO)
    I'd sell the 28-105, the 28-90, and get a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 along with a flash, the canon 430ex is available used in the realm of 190 USD, and the tamron is ~300 USD, used.
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • Options
    I really only want to get one flash - would the 430 be enough? I was thinking the 550 unless I could find a good deal on a 580 EX II
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    brvheart wrote:
    I really only want to get one flash - would the 430 be enough? I was thinking the 550 unless I could find a good deal on a 580 EX II

The Canon 550EX has a lot going for it, except that it is E-TTL instead of E-TTL II. The difference is that the 550 will zoom a little wide on a Canon crop camera, wasting a little energy in the process, resulting in fewer flashes per battery set and longer charging cycle times. I believe it also lacks the ability to use distance information, if available, to improve flash exposure accuracy.

The Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash (in Canon version) is a true E-TTL II flavor and I can vouch for it's operation. I have 2 of that flash and 2 of the previous 500 version and they work very nicely and accurately. They are not as well built and they do not have as nice a user interface as the genuine Canon flashes, but I get great results and the feature set is very close to the Canon 580EX flashes.

http://www.photo4less.com/pd-productid-2289-k-sigma_169101_sigma_ef_530_dg_super_e_ttl_shoe_mount_flash_for_canon_eos_with_e_ttl_ii_operation.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2009
    OK, so the consensus - which I was leaning towards - flash.

So here I am going through the market place here looking for one. I also need a remote - having trouble deciding between wireless and wired.

Ziggy - I am looking at the flash you mentioned now and considering it :) might be the way to go.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    dmeiselman wrote:
    i love having access to a wider field of view than the 28-105 gave me (lovely lens on full frame, but it's not as useful on a crop body IMO)
    I'd sell the 28-105, the 28-90, and get a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 along with a flash, the canon 430ex is available used in the realm of 190 USD, and the tamron is ~300 USD, used.

Exactly what I was going to suggest! I'm a huge fan of the Tam 17-50 - absolutely love mine. Also, if you don't want/need manual flash right away, the 420ex is a very capable ETTL flash, and you can control its output via the flash exposure compensation function in the camera (in some ways, I still prefer mine to the 430 I also have). And if (when) you want TWO flashes, you can use it as a slave. You can pick up the 420ex used for ~$100.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    If you shoot landscapes, get a (circular) polarizer, a 6 stop ND (max diameter + a set of adapters), and a better wide angle lens.

If you shoot people, get a good flash and a reflector (maybe sell one of the 28-xx to cover the cost, why have two with nearly identical coverage?)

BTW, I'm surprised you don't have 50mm prime in your arsenal. headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    is the 430 EX enough flash?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    brvheart wrote:
    Google is your friend:
    http://photo-tips-online.com/review/canon-430ex-ii-vs-canon-580ex-ii/
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    brvheart wrote:

To do what? :D

I've found it plenty strong indoors. Outdoors - as I just discovered this weekend - a little more oomph might have been nice, but I suspect as I practice more with it in those conditions I'll figure out how I need to use it; there are almost always workarounds (ie, flash closer to subject, different modifier which cuts less power, battery pack so I can use it on higher power without affecting recycling times etc etc)

BTW, I got mine as a refurb from Adorama for $199 - it's been a great purchase.
  • Options
    The Canon 430EX is Canon's second best electronic flash, so it has a lot going for it. It is not just a reduced power 580EX however. It is also lacking the incremental power control of the 580EX and it can only act as a slave, while the 580EX can be both master and slave.

The Sigma EF 530DG Super has less power than the Canon 580EX, but more than the 430EX. The Sigma is capable of being both E-TTL master and slave, as well as having an optical slave built-in. The Sigma has an AF assist light, as do both of the Canon flashes, but the Canon AF assist is better. The Sigma is completely serviceable and I don't find it a problem at all.

The incremental power control on the Sigma is similar to the 430EX, so the 580EX is much better.

All told the Sigma is a bargain for the feature set and the E-TTL II emulation is accurate. I use them professionally and they really are up to the task. Treat them properly and use them correctly and they reward you with great results.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon 430EX is Canon's second best electronic flash, so it has a lot going for it. It is not just a reduced power 580EX however. It is also lacking the incremental power control of the 580EX and it can only act as a slave, while the 580EX can be both master and slave.

The Sigma EF 530DG Super has less power than the Canon 580EX, but more than the 430EX. The Sigma is capable of being both E-TTL master and slave, as well as having an optical slave built-in. The Sigma has an AF assist light, as do both of the Canon flashes, but the Canon AF assist is better. The Sigma is completely serviceable and I don't find it a problem at all.

The incremental power control on the Sigma is similar to the 430EX, so the 580EX is much better.

All told the Sigma is a bargain for the feature set and the E-TTL II emulation is accurate. I use them professionally and they really are up to the task. Treat them properly and use them correctly and they reward you with great results.

Ziggy as always - thank you for the wonderful info and insight - I think you made my choice for me :)
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:

16 thousand some odd post and that is all you can come up? Consult the Google.... :)

Just kidding man, thank you for that link answered all my questions.
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:

What do you mean by "incremental power control"? The 430ex has both ETTL and manual power adjustment on the flash itself (the 420 does not, of course, only being controllable via the camera's FEC). I haven't used a 580ex/II so don't know how it compares, but adjustment is certainly an option :D
  • Options
    divamum wrote:
    What do you mean by "incremental power control"? The 430ex has both ETTL and manual power adjustment on the flash itself (the 420 does not, of course, only being controllable via the camera's FEC). I haven't used a 580ex/II so don't know how it compares, but adjustment is certainly an option :D

For the 580EX, it goes from full power to 1/128th power in 1/3rd stop increments. The 430EX goes from full power to 1/64th in full stop increments. The Sigma 530 DG Super goes full power to 1/128th power in full stop increments.

E-TTL and E-TTL II control should be much finer increments for any of the flashes.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For the 580EX, it goes from full power to 1/128th power in 1/3rd stop increments. The 430EX goes from full power to 1/64th in full stop increments. The Sigma 530 DG Super goes full power to 1/128th power in full stop increments.

E-TTL and E-TTL II control should be much finer increments for any of the flashes.

Aha! Thanks Ziggy - now I understand! thumb.gif