Options

Harassment or good business practice??

MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm looking for some input to settle an ongoing dispute in my house about calling people who contacted me for services.

I've had a couple of acquaintances contact me to request sessions, leaving it at the potential customer saying "I'll call you when I figure out my schedule."

My boyfriend keeps harassing me to call these people back and ask if they know when they'd like to book yet. I see that as intrusive and sort of tacky. I know their lives are very busy, and portraits might not be their top priorities. He claims I'm going to lose a lot of potential business, and since they called me first, he thinks it's ok.

One of these people, in particular, is very proper and old-fashioned, and someone who I think I could easily alienate by being too pushy.

Am I being a big weenie? Is it ok to call back and gently inquire? Is email better, so they're not put on the spot so much if they've changed their minds?

In most of these cases, I prefer to preserve the long term contacts, rather than the short term business, if I had to choose.

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    I look at it this way: You're calling them as a follow-up to a previous conversation. People do get busy and forget to call and schedule things and it's possible they'd appreciate the reminder. If they've decided not to do it (either to not have the pictures or to use someone else) all they have to say is "we're not interested at this time."

If you would lose them as a customer because of this kind of phone call - good riddance! Imagine what a nightmare they'd be to do business with if they're that finicky.
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    My roommate told me a good story about when he owned his own business. He never hired anyone who didn't call him back.

If they've called you to inquire about booking, I don't think it would be pushy to inquire back. Especially if they contacted you.

Not calling people, and not setting up times for shoots and sales of the shots is a great way to not get paid.

IMO.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    Ok, I really needed to hear this. Thank you both!!
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    "In most of these cases, I prefer to preserve the long term contacts, rather than the short term business, if I had to choose."

Not to beat a dead horse, but think about it like this.

You own a restaurant in a small town somewhere in the US. You serve great food, hire friendly staff, and have a beautiful building.

The "long-term" contacts are the regulars from town. They love your restaurant, otherwise they wouldn't be regulars. The "short-term" contacts are the tourists who walk in off the street, have a great experience, and tell their friends to go there when they vacation in your town.

Both are good to have.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil. :)

I would do one follow-up per week.

If you speak to them on the phone, then e-mail them (the following week). If you e-mail, then call them.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    You need to follow up if you want business. People just get busy and sometimes forget to call you. Find a way to seem nice about it. One I use for a lot of event inquiries is.
    Hi, it's Ben, just calling about your [Event] so we could discuss some of the details. That time in [Month] is starting to get very popular for me, so I wanted to reach out to you to make sure your date is held.

Clients love this, and are always appreciative that I am personally interested in them.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    My clients have always thanked me for reminders when I just ask, "Are you wanting to get on my calendar in the next couple months?" That gives them the chance to say they are going to wait or to say absolutely yes and start discussing dates. You can also send out e-mails with a few open dates and say, "Just let me know if you want to book a session." If someone says "not right now", or the equivalent, just tell them "No problem, just let me know if I can do anything for you." Even if they mean "not ever", I feel this approach allows them to say "no thanks" without feeling rude or being afraid that they will hurt your feelings. Most of my clients are acquaintances, so it's very easy to keep it casual and low pressure. I run into them, ask about the kids, tell them I'd love to take their pictures, say how much fun I think it would be to shoot their family, and then chat about something else. If they mention that they've been meaning to schedule something, I'll ask if they want me to shoot them an e-mail with open dates or if they want to wait.

My point is that you don't have to be pushy to make a sale. Just be confident and act as thought you will completely not take it personally if they don't book with you. I've built up a small but loyal customer base. For what it's worth, I was feeling what you are feeling now a year and a half ago. Once I decided that I was serious about being in business I pushed myself to get over it.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2009
    Thanks again to everyone for all the input. Your thoughts have been infinitely helpful. I have some emails to send! :D
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    Thanks again to everyone for all the input. Your thoughts have been infinitely helpful. I have some emails to send! :D

You could always call and say you know they weren't ready to book when you last spoke but you wanted to let them know that between x day and x day you will be having a special on the kind of session they are having and then you can give them your sale price which might inlcude a free print or something that strkes your fancy.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    I am on the other side of this. I do not call back. I am fully aware that people get busy, and I am busy also. If someone expresses interest and never calls, I consider them tire kickers and move on to other clients.

I agree with the others that it can be a good thing if done correctly, and it may very well add some clients who you do not currently have.
    Steve

Website