Options

Some from Paris

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Here are few taken since we arrived in Paris and one taken at Logan Airport on our way over.

1. Boulevard Ménilmontant under construction (pano)

669821262_5noQC-L.jpg

2. Alsleep on the métro

669821031_ig9bS-L.jpg

3. Photo exhibit of photos taken along the Mékong river at Luxembourg Gardens. The woman and child walked into my picture and I didn't realize it until I downloaded my photos for the day.

669821540_4f4Ny-L.jpg

4. Taking a rest break at Pere Lachaise cemetery.

669822151_eMrHA-L.jpg

5. Untitled

669822420_SceAx-L.jpg

6. And one from Logan.

669821853_5gawJ-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    love the colors in #1 and her expression in #3. great shots! I like this side of Paris....
    //Leah
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    Very good series, Virginia. It's remarkable how the iconic metro sign still commands attention despite all the urban clutter. Now that's good design. If it weren't for the sign, it could easily be mistaken for Madrid these days. Excellent reflection in #2 and I like the way you processed it. #3 is one of those rare cases where somebody wandering into the shot just makes it perfect. There's just something so French about it. And the cemetery shot is wonderful. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Awesome series Virginia (gosh, I miss Paris)! clap.gif
    Love love love the "asleep in the metro" shot! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    Thanks Leah, Richard and Nik! I'm so glad you enjoyed the series.

Richard, I agree with you that the woman who just walked into my picture #3 makes it work. I love how her smile is almost like the one in the photograph on the fence. Couldn't have set that up in a million years.

#2 is my favorite too, Nik. Just one of those wonderful times when you see a shot, know you've got to have it, and then you get it. That's the kind of experience that keeps me taking photographs.

Va

Email
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Great set Virginiaclap.gif I love #4 without a title.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Here are few taken since we arrived in Paris and one taken at Logan Airport on our way over.

Virginia

Two, three, four and six are the keepers, Virginia, though I would definitely lose the treatments on two and six. Both are strong images - two being by far the stronger - but in both the weird colors distract. I love the couple in the grave yard, but I'd definitely crop in much closer on them - we're beginning to lose them in the present composition.

No. 1 isn't anything - and I know that you know that. mwink.gif Nor is five- two guys and a kid walking along. Accident or no, there's a wonderful whimsicality to No.3.

clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Hah BD. I knew that #1 would not be your cup of tea! But, you know, I do like it. It is chaotic and full of life and it captures a significant (if mildly so) moment of development and change in the neighborhood. To me, the treatment complements that, which is why I used it. I do concede that perhaps the picture and its treatment don't fit in this forum.

As for the two men, the kid and the bagette (#5), it is a picture of life in my neighborhood. Maybe it is ordinary and common and uninteresting to some. I believe, however, that it has documentary value. That said, I agree that it isn't as strong in composition and framing as it needs to be to be a really good capture.

Thanks, BD, for taking the time to comment. I always learn from your critiques of my work and the work of others. Your reactions help me focus on why I take the photographs I do and how I can improve my work while staying true to my vision of the world around me.

Va

Email
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great set Virginiaclap.gif I love #4 without a title.

Thanks, Dan!! I really appreciate your comments.

Va

Email
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I do concede that perhaps the picture and its treatment don't fit in this forum.

Au contraire! This forum is all about urban life, or at least that's what we're aiming for. While traditional street shooting is fine, pics don't have to look like they were shot with a Leica and high-contrast Tri-X to have a home here. They don't even have to be about people. Urban scenes, like your first shot, can be full of interesting details, and are well worth looking at. Paris is a gold mine for street scenes, so by all means get out there and dig. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Number one is WAY to distracting for me, there is no place for my eyes to rest.

#2 is a keeper. I love the way you PPed the colors! B.D., what is wrong with that, IYO?

#3 has to many distracting elements in it too, sorry.....

#4 is great, but IMHO, it be a lot better if you would have gotten closer to the couple?

#5 IMHO again is a snap shot that you took on the spur of the moment and did not even have time to think about, right?

#6 is very good, but like B.D. said, the first one is stronger.

B.D., again, why does the color distract?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Hey Aaron, thanks for your comments.

Never be sorry for not liking something. It is YOUR opinion, YOUR response. You are entitled to it!! I appreciate your sharing your views, whether positive or negative.

Re the couple in the cemetery. I made a conscious choice to include the tomb on the upper left knowing that the couple would end up being smaller in the picture than I would want for a strictly people pic. I probably should have tried it both ways (worked the scene), but hindsight is 20/20!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    I enjoy seeing the shots using square crops. It's a challenge to work in that format. It's hard to comment on all the images, but #3 is enjoyable. The woman's expression juxtaposed against the smiling face in the poster works well. #4 is interesting and I can see what you're going after in #5. The rest don't do much for me.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    #2 is beautiful.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    The reason that #3 works is that the woman is looking directly at the camera; she's seen me and she smiles…

…and I smile back; it works - best of the bunch by far! (IMNSHO :D )

The graveyard: I would have waited for the shot of the woman hitting the DOM over the head with her handbag… (anyone remember "Laugh In" ???)

The ones where the printer's about to run out of ink don't do anything for me… (sorry)

#3 - that's The Keeper! thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: I don't know about the cropping of #4; I think it works as is. The problem is that if you crop, the picture becomes just any anonymous graveyard; as you have it, it is a very specific place, and those headstones and monuments are really very interesting.
    #5: Ah, it's a baguette! I couldn't see that to start with and was confused (should have realized what with it being in Paris, an' all…)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    Michswiss, thank you so much for commenting.

Damon, I agree with you re #2. It is my favorite!

Will, what a great idea!! I definitely should have waited for the pocketbook to be brandished. Now THAT would have been a wonderful capture.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    cerfcerf Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2009
    Marvellous
    I agree that 2, 3 and 4 are keepers. As for the whimsical woman in 3, even if you didn't know your "decisive moment" was in the can (did you need to tell us ;-), it is far and away the best, the more so because she and the Mekong guy on poster behind make an intriguing "twosome". As for 1, yes, isn't the road work a mess! It looks like your photo. I nearly wiped out a bicyclist trying to negotiate that circle yesterday. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    cerfcerf Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2009
    Marvellous (2)
    Virginia, I went back to the photos and comments and discovered how much I like 4 in Père Lachaise. Whereas 2 is a good photo and 3 is fun, 4 has a human dynamic to it - a story if you will - that lifts it from the ordinary.

First the placement of the couple almost slipping off the lower right corner of photo, in contrast to those thoroughly static monuments behind, sets up the dynamic. Even the bench appears tilted to right a couple of degrees. Making this a square image seems imperative.

The couple seem to be negotiating whatever it is he wants while she decides if she wants to accede. Who knows, it could be about splitting a sandwich, or about something FAR, FAR more important. Therein lies the mystery and the fascination of this image. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thank you so much for stopping by to comment, Cerf. Much appreciated!

Almost took out a bicyclist, huh? Glad you didn't succeed. :D

Virginia

Email