Options

Nikon user contemplating switch to Canon 7D

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Cameras
I am not sure about you, but I feel let down by Nikon coming out with D300s. That was a cop-out and I was waiting for something that would blow the doors away. Alas, not to be. Don't get me wrong, the D300s is an amazing camera, but I was expecting more like 7D improvements.

Now looking at the 7D, I am more and more inclined to switch. I am not that heavily vested in my lenses, so that would not be a problem.

For me the 7D over 300s benefits are:

- Spot AF (that is sounding pretty awesome)
- Zone AF --- that also seems nice
- 18 megapixels (please refrain from the megapixels are not important and all..they are to me when I go to crop)

- Full 1080p movie mode with different FPS. (not sure what I will use it for, but I rather have it and learn than be left behind)

- Also, can take a shot while shooting a movie (pretty cool!)

- Dual layer metering system with luminosity and color

- Dual Digic processors can only mean good things with low noise(not a tech expert)

Just few of the things that I like.

How about you? Are Nikon users planning(or wishing) on switching? What do you like about the D300s?
-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    As far as I'm concerned the autofocus of even the D300 is far superior to any of canons cameras. The movie mode stuff I won't speak to, because I'm interested in taking still photos.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I would just get the 7D if I was you. It sounds like you like some of the features and your obviously want to try it. Just get it, check it out, and have fun. I'm sure it's a fine body. The D300 has one of the best AF systems on the market, and it works exceptionally well if you know how to use it. Personally, I would not switch to Canon, as I feel their lineup is better suited to studio work; whereas I am a photojournalist. Let us know how it works out for you!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    This is the same old story. Before the D3 and D300 were released we were bitching and contemplating a switch. Then the D3 and 300 were released and a number of Canonites were bitching and contemplating switching.

If you switch systems over a few features you probably will be sorry down the line.

The companies will leap frog each other in different years. They would love it if we kept switching as soon as one took a temporary lead in features. I can't afford it myself.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    The 7D has basically caught up to the D300. *shrug* No reason to switch IMO
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Heh, I have a Canon 5D2 and I'm half-seriously contemplating switching to the Leica M9... but it won't happen, because (a) the Leica is too bloody expensive and (b) you can't do some things with it that I sometimes like to do with my SLR (like macro work) or that I might like to do someday (like attach it to my telescope). But just as a "go anywhere, anytime, take shots on the spur of the moment" camera, the Leica seems really cool, and the pictures I've seen from it are just incredible. I'm waiting to see reviews of the less-expensive, fixed-lens Leica X1, which I conceivably could buy as a pocket camera.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Harryb wrote:
    This is the same old story. Before the D3 and D300 were released we were bitching and contemplating a switch. Then the D3 and 300 were released and a number of Canonites were bitching and contemplating switching.

If you switch systems over a few features you probably will be sorry down the line.

The companies will leap frog each other in different years. They would love it if we kept switching as soon as one took a temporary lead in features. I can't afford it myself.

15524779-Ti.gif a 1000 fold..............................

Hopefully after the 1st of the year I will be solvent enuff to take some of your D300's off your hands.....I would like 1-3 more for back ups and IR's........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I am not sure about you, but I feel let down by Nikon coming out with D300s. That was a cop-out and I was waiting for something that would blow the doors away. Alas, not to be. Don't get me wrong, the D300s is an amazing camera, but I was expecting more like 7D improvements.

Now looking at the 7D, I am more and more inclined to switch. I am not that heavily vested in my lenses, so that would not be a problem.

- 18 megapixels (please refrain from the megapixels are not important and all..they are to me when I go to crop)

- Full 1080p movie mode with different FPS. (not sure what I will use it for, but I rather have it and learn than be left behind)

- Dual Digic processors can only mean good things with low noise(not a tech expert)

How about you? Are Nikon users planning(or wishing) on switching? What do you like about the D300s?
    -
    No. However, any day that I feel Canon, or Sony or whoever has something I need and Nikon doesn't, I'll just buy it and not give up my present gear. I personally like several things I have read about the 5D2 and Sony's new offering as well. And with the exception of video, I don't feel really compelled to get any other items than I presently use. I do admit to wanting vid capability, but then, I only have so much time to devote.

Does it really matter who's brand you use? I don't think so. I think you buy the camera with the capabilities you desire or need. My needs are met at present.

As for the D300S..I actually read about it when it first streamed in, and haven't even thought about it since. Because I wasn't impressed, and I like FX. I'd like to expect a major improvement with the next iteration in the D700 line up, but with Nikon, one can rest assured there'll be some dear coin to exchange in the offering...

When I stop to think about it, my D70 ( not the D700) is just a darned nice camera! Like I've said many times before, if ISO weren't an issue for me, I'd still be shootin the D200.
    tom wise
  • Options
    CatharsisCatharsis Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2009
    While I am in no position to switch anytime soon... I am annoyed with nikon on the relatively minor upgrade to the 300s. At this point if you are going to have a video mode it NEEDS manual controls even if it is only 720p, sort of felt like I got slapped and given the finger. If you are going to do something don't go half way, finish the job.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif a 1000 fold..............................

Hopefully after the 1st of the year I will be solvent enuff to take some of your D300's off your hands.....I would like 1-3 more for back ups and IR's........................

Keep your lens cap on....I'm keepin mine~~rolleyes1.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    Well as I said, I am not heavily vested in Nikon just yet and that is why I was even considering such a move. It is time for me to upgrade from my D70s and thus this post.

I think the "lack" of an upgrade on D300s has got me more pissed off than anything. I have been waiting to upgrade my D70s for a year now thinking the D400 will come around. I can't go full frame since I can't afford it so, my route is sticking to the AP-C sensors.

The other reasarch I have been doing is the difference between the cost of the Canon lenses versus Nikon lenses. It seems that Canon lenses are typically $150 to $200 or so cheaper than Nikon for very very similar performance. A Canon 24-70/2.8 brand new was around $1,250. A Used Nikon 24-70/2.8, I saw on here was sold for $1,425.

The thing I absolutely hate about the Canon's is the ergnomics. If anything keeps me from going away from Nikon, it is this. I love the dual dials and everything working the way I think.

For me, this is the MAJOR upgrade time. Once I do this, I am getting the expensive lenses and such. I would imagine that it would take a revolution of some kind for me to consider switching then. It would be more moving up the line rather than across (if you know what I mean).

That is why this is important for me. I realize there are a lot of posts here every now and then such as these, however, there are very very specific things I am looking for in a new camera...The Canon 7d seems to deliver a lot of them over the D300s. Ergnomics is a cause for concern for me though and I think ultimately the more important one.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Sounds like your mind is already made up. But I can tell you this, you cannot take good photos with a camera that feels akward. If you already like the feel of nikon, you may never be satisfied. I'm sure you will grow accustomed to it though.

Your lens comparison is skewed. The nikkor 24-70 is far superior to the canon.

Bottom line is that a more expensive camera doesn't equal better photos. Consider taking some workshops or classes instead. ;P
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:

I have heard this from many of my fellow photogs. And to be honest, the only Canon lens I wish I could use is the 85mm f/1.2...:D

Wildviper, I think you will find that most all of the pro glass is designed for full frame cameras. If you plan on investing in good glass, you may want to budget a little higher for a body that can bring out the quality you're paying a premium for. A used D700 can be had for a little over $2K, and that's a body you won't outgrow until you can afford a new one. If you wanted to switch to Canon a used 5DMK2 would a superb choice as well.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:

How so? They're both top-drawer pro lenses, and the published test results don't show much difference between them. The Nikon doesn't have the Canon's slight softness at 70mm f/2.8, but Canon has less CA and less geometric distortion through the middle of the range.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    Sounds like your mind is already made up. But I can tell you this, you cannot take good photos with a camera that feels akward. If you already like the feel of nikon, you may never be satisfied. I'm sure you will grow accustomed to it though.

Bottom line is that a more expensive camera doesn't equal better photos. Consider taking some workshops or classes instead. ;P

My mind is NOT made up and thus this thread. I want to convince myself to stick with Nikon, but it is very hard.

About the lenses, I thought the Canon 24-70 is comparable to Nikon 24-70. How about the 70-200/2.8?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    My mind is NOT made up and thus this thread. I want to convince myself to stick with Nikon, but it is very hard.

About the lenses, I thought the Canon 24-70 is comparable to Nikon 24-70. How about the 70-200/2.8?

Anyone here made the Nikon > Canon mutin....err, switch :D and wish to share their thoughts? That would probably be the most helpful input right now....
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Anyone here made the Nikon > Canon mutin....err, switch :D and wish to share their thoughts? That would probably be the most helpful input right now....

See the "sleeping with the enemy" thread for that.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=118613&highlight=enemy

As a Nikon guy I say stick with the D300 as it is a great camera, but if you're curious about the 7D rent one and see how it measures up.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/canon_bodies/Canon_7D

A head-to-head: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D300s/verdict.shtml

Discussion: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/809498

They are very close. In the end it comes down to personal preference, ergonomics and glass investment.
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Harryb wrote:

Hi Harry!
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Am I correct that you are currently running a D70s?

If so, it sounds like D300s would be a great jump forward in specs for you - including addressing the issue of number of pixels you reference.

There will always be something better out there or coming soon. I'm only new to this game but it seems to me there is some great technology out there, more than most of us can truly utilise or appreciate, and that the best camera is the one that you use.

You state that you already like the ergos of the Nikon - just rent a D300s for a weekend and decide if you still don't think it's enough of a jump in capabilities for you.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 8, 2009
    Catharsis wrote:
    While I am in no position to switch anytime soon... I am annoyed with nikon on the relatively minor upgrade to the 300s. At this point if you are going to have a video mode it NEEDS manual controls even if it is only 720p, sort of felt like I got slapped and given the finger. If you are going to do something don't go half way, finish the job.

Catharsis, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The D300s update is really just a "freshening up" of a proven winner. The Nikon D300/D300s are wonderful cameras for their primary application of still images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Catharsis, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The D300s update is really just a "freshening up" of a proven winner. The Nikon D300/D300s are wonderful cameras for their primary application of still images.
    What Ziggy said is a good reminder. Nikon as per any manufacturer are playing to a paying audience. Reading blogs of folks that teach shooting schools/classes, and you see the D300 flew off of the shelves. Meaning all sorts of folks bought them, and meaning most of them are just taking snapshots of sorts. Before all this economic turn down stuff, lots of folks dropped coin on this camera and I'll bet that you nor me are part of their target demographic.
    tom wise
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2009
    Gotta be honest here. I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have already been suggested.

Rent a 7D and some L glass for a weekend.
    The minor expense will be so worth it, if you decide NOT to switch.
    If you decide you still want to, a rental is only a drop in the bucket compared to switching camps.
  • Options
    Ed_HanrattyEd_Hanratty Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2009
    I too didn't read the whole thread.

Wait a couple months. Nikon will release it's answer to the 7D. Then a couple months after that Canon will release something just a smudge better and then a couple months after that Nikon will release something a smudge better....etc...etc...etc...Glad I have an Olympus. Keeping up with new body technology sounds tiring and expensive.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    wildviper wrote:

The nikon 24-70mm is one of the legendary nikon lens. From my research the canon version is just does not stack up. The Nikon is literaly outperforms it's own prime lens in that zoom range.

The 14-24mm is the best WA ever made and canon can't offer anything to touch it.

The 70-200mmfor nikon is amazing as well. Also legendary. I am not quite sure about the canon offering.

The fact is that the nikon pro lens out perform the canon L series in most cases in the 14-200mm range (not sure about super telephot) imo. The D3, and D700, and D300 also are as good or better in many cases as well. Yeah..the pendulum swings back and forth. It appears teh pendulum has beein in the nikon ballpark for pro level equpiment imo for a while but with the 7D ..it may be starting to swing back towards the middle again.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Interesting. I just flipped from Canon to Nikon.

In the end, it's really just a steeplechase. You can change now, and then there's a subsequent Nikon release that makes you wish you didn't.

Both Nikon and Canon have excellent camera lines, and improving all the time.

You should choose what excites and inspires you. Results are more indicative of your passion, composition, and post-processing - none of which has anything to do with the camera you're using.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 8, 2009
    Killjoy wrote:
    Gotta be honest here. I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have already been suggested.

Rent a 7D and some L glass for a weekend.
    The minor expense will be so worth it, if you decide NOT to switch.
    If you decide you still want to, a rental is only a drop in the bucket compared to switching camps.

Killjoy, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Good idea.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    What has got me thinking in switching now is because of where I am in terms of photography. I literally have out grown the Nikon D70s(superb camera) and am looking for some specific things:
    • More Autofocus points and ideally all of them Cross type
    • Low Light focusing & Fast, precise Focusing
    • Low Low noise levels at ISO 1600.
    • Bracketing upto 5 shots - BKT +/-2 is good enough
      • No one has Auto Bracketing right? With one push of a button, it takes 5 pictures in a row??
    • Clear and precise lcd screen to review photos
    • Leveling
    • Weather & Dust proof - somewhat..not planning to go underwater or anything
    • Sensor cleaning
    • High Dynamic Range...upto 9 levels would be ideal
    • High megapixels ..at least 12+
    • at least 6 fps
    • Since I shoot mainly people, a camera that can reproduce nice tones
    • 100% bright and clear viewfinder
    • Video that can record HD
    Looking at above, do you guys think the D300s meets the needs better or the 7D?

EDIT:
    • Custom buttons (at least 3) that I can program for whatever I want - For example, I can setup up "Auto Area Focus, Auto WB, Auto ISO, +/-EV Comp, Flash in TTL and so on". This is so that when my wife picks up the camera to shoot, she just presses one button and it is all customized for her and gets rid of all my "custom manual" settings quickly.
    • Custom White Balance that I can directly input the Kelvin values
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    No one has Auto Bracketing right? With one push of a button, it takes 5 pictures in a row??

I'm pretty sure my other Nikon's have auto bracketing .... the D300s does have 7 fps. 8 fps with the batter pack/grip. It's not clear if the bracketing is single touch or not, but with a remote it's a bit of a moot point. You can at least get it done without shaking the camera.

You can find out more by reading the manual for the D300s directly. Online version is at:

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D300S_ENnoprint.pdf

enjoy! :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    No one has Auto Bracketing right? With one push of a button, it takes 5 pictures in a row??

I'm pretty sure my other Nikon's have auto bracketing .... the D300s does have 7 fps. 8 fps with the batter pack/grip. It's not clear if the bracketing is single touch or not, but with a remote it's a bit of a moot point. You can at least get it done without shaking the camera.

You can find out more by reading the manual for the D300s directly. Online version is at:

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D300S_ENnoprint.pdf

enjoy! :D

Thanx. I have seen this, but not sure if it is One push of a button to take 5 shots in a series. I think I would have to press the button 5 times in a row. This is fine, but for my workflow, it would be much faster if the camera auto did this for me.

I take over 1,000 pictures when I am on a particular shoot and it gets a bit tiring pressing the button(or the remote).
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    well, according to p 124, you can use it in continuous mode which is only one press of the button. that work for ya?
    //Leah
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    wildviper wrote:

-

I will start hear because IIRC Sony used 2 chips for the A900 because of the size of the files, pumping out 18MP images at 8FPS is a lot of data so splitting it up makes sense.

As has been mentioned the D300S is just a refresh to give it some more features that are now "standard" and don't require much R&D before the D400. (Remember D2Xs or D70s before the D3/D80)

As for the D300 I can not comment directly, but I do have a D700 and Fuji S5 (D200 body) so I know a lot about that type of body from Nikon. And the AF between the 700/300 is very similar, and in use it really is amazing. For the body/ergonomics, I love it and all the buttons/dials just work well and having physical controls will be a huge step up for you (my Nikon before those bodies was a D50).

For sports I used the D700 for a Ducati track day a few months back and with the 3D tracking it was easy, and the D300 has better coverage for the AF sensor.

And now the final point, it is technological leap frog, next year Nikon will come out with things Canon doesn't have and so on. From what I have seen/heard the 7D is an improvement on the status quo but not to the level the D3 and later D700 were. So if you have the glass and are not in a hurry just wait.