Options

Advice? Mt Shasta area (CA)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
We've not yet been up this way but it looks intriguing. From what I can tell, spring is the best time (especially to capture the gorgeous Mossbrae Falls) but maybe autumn as something to offer as well? :ear

Any suggestions for pretty places to hit this weekend for a couple of days' stay? Looks like a big area with lots to do, but does anything/place float to the top of your list? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    We've not yet been up this way but it looks intriguing. From what I can tell, spring is the best time (especially to capture the gorgeous Mossbrae Falls) but maybe autumn as something to offer as well? ear.gif

Any suggestions for pretty places to hit this weekend for a couple of days' stay? Looks like a big area with lots to do, but does anything/place float to the top of your list? headscratch.gif

She hasn't posted in awhile but look for Sis-Q and/or SisQue over in the DPReview Canon forums. She lives there! Has been very helpful in the past to people. You do need to be registered with DPReview forums to see the option to send her an email through clicking on the option in her profile.

Hope this helps as I know nothing of the area myself (live in southern Illinois about 80 miles from St. Louis, MO)

Jane B.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I haven't been there for decades. But within striking distance of Mt Shasta are Mt Lassen, McArthur-Burney Falls, and perhaps Crater Lake.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    Thanks, all! I think because it's such a huge area we're going to just go up there and stick to whatever's close. Even if it's the wrong season, Mossbrae Falls is probably worth a hike and exploring the Siskiyou area sounds promising.

Although I still have time to poke around on DPReview and see what I find... thumb.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    The Sundial Bridge in Redding is always nice. Burney Falls is nice, Mt Lassen NP, Whiskeytown. Shasta Dam and Lake. I am trying to think of any old abandaoned buildings in the area

Night shot Sundial Bridge
    653057300_wrLG2-M.jpg

673746394_YCJPL-M.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Are you looking to stay in the Mt Shasta area?

I drove through there on my way to the Redwoods.... lots of windy roads that look over a huge lake. Gorgeous but not many turn outs. When I was there in July there was a LOT of construction as you go north from Mt Shasta.

There is a small historic part that has some old buildings that looked pretty cool. It's right before you hit the lake going out of Redding. It was a 1 way road because of construction so i didn't want to stop and get stuck.

If you have time and want to keep going the 299 has some amazing views along the river.

And if you really want to keep going... Gold Bluffs Beach is aaaawwwwwesome
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Chris of course old broken buildings are good too but not required! That bridge looks awesome, especially with the right weather as a backdrop. thumb.gif

Hey squiddy (btw, I love your nickname lol3.gif ) I remember your thread about the Redwoods trip. Yes we'll probably be sticking pretty close to the Shasta area because it's already 4.5 hours to get up there and it looks like we'll be camping near Dunsmuir. But maybe we'll have time to check out the sites you mentioned. It sounds gorgeous :D
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    There are some gold rush era towns between Redding and
    Mt. Shasta along Hwy 299 and Hwy 3.

The town of Shasta has some gold rush era building still standing.

Weaverville has the Joss House. We were there last summer and
    I enjoyed shooting there.

Also the town of Callahan has some old buildings, but you can't enter
    them. Photos from that trip (including some from Crater Lake).

Otherwise, along I-5 there's Chaos Crags, but I don't have a specific
    location to shoot.

I went to Dunsmuir a couple of years ago and shot Mossbrae Falls,
    and Hedge Creek Falls. Photos from that trip (geotagged).

The hike to Mossbrae Falls is along an active railroad track. You'll
    almost always have a train go by. The power a freight train is
    pretty impressive. You hike a couple of miles to a railroad trestle and
    there you are.

I'm sure people who live in the area know of the really secret spots or
    the best views of Mt. Shasta. I would love to know where they are.

Have a great trip and let us know what you discovered in your research.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone! And Alvin your info was very helpful, too. We didn't get a chance to hit everything that we wanted (actually, only two things total) but you can only do so much in a day. :D

We camped at Castle Crags which are an interesting geological feature, but it was way too cold overnight to even think about getting up for sunrise!

Panther Meadows were just "eh", possibly because of the time of the year. But Mossbrae Falls was gorgeous as ever, and thanks to your tip we knew which way to go. thumb.gif

I might post a Journeys thread if I get a chance, but the few shots I snagged from the day are here. Thank you all!! bowdown.gif

http://www.schmootography.com/Travel/California-Adventures/Mt-Shasta
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I was born and raised in Mt. Shasta. Yes, I know where all the secret places are. mwink.gif

I can't wait to see some of the shots you took, I really enjoy your work.

I am at work, but will post some locations later for others who may do a search for Mt. Shasta in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I was born and raised in Mt. Shasta. Yes, I know where all the secret places are. mwink.gif

I can't wait to see some of the shots you took, I really enjoy your work.

I am at work, but will post some locations later for others who may do a search for Mt. Shasta in the future.

That would be awesome! And much appreciated. It's never too late as it's only ~4 hours from the city. :smo