Options

Experimenting in the midday sun

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in People
These were all shot around 1-2pm in Texas, which means the sun is still pretty high. Mainly, I was getting ready to head out to the corn maze tomorrow with some friends, and wanted to see how my mid-day shooting skills were holding up. I did some of these with the sun behind her, and some in dappled shade. I played with putting a blue gel on the flash in some, and others were just bare fill flash. The flash was all mounted on the camera (and on-axis -- no bracket).

C&C would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. I know the shoulder into the camera here is a killjoy, but I like her smug look.
683637946_i4Nvt-M.jpg

683632995_C6DvG-M.jpg

3. Slight breeze at just the right time.
683633111_YPfKX-M.jpg

683633165_C4wMd-M.jpg

683633238_3B3Y9-M.jpg

683633294_CPBDX-M.jpg

683633362_WZMvG-M.jpg

683633432_Rjom6-M.jpg
9. This one was just sort of goofing around at the end (her friend was about to arrive)
683633531_6SwWx-M.jpg
10. cropped in tight. No extra sharpening here.
683633609_h3Te5-M.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I like these. You used the harsh light to your advantage.

#1 is my favorite but could be cropped tighter.

I also like #3.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    It's nice to know that once I get to Texas the sun won't be my enemy.:ivar I am going to have to start messing with the high sun here in Virginia, if it ever comes out again, just to figure it all out.headscratch.gif
    I like her expression in the first photo and I am loving #3 (still trying to grasp that there was a breeze).
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    THanks for the feedback,

What part of Texas?

The ones other than 1 & 3; is it the pose, color, crop? Still trying to figure out this portraiture thing.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Have to echo Mitchell's comment on the great use of the available light source.

#1, #3 and #9 poses work the best for me. I also agree with cropping #1 a tad tighter.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Very nice job on these, and she's proving to be an excellent model! Expression in 1 is indeed terrific, and I also like both 3 and 4. Presumably you were using HSS flash?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    No HSS, just straight fill at 1/200.
    #1 1/200 f/6.3 ISO200 105mm
    #3 1/200 f/7.1 ISO200 105mm
    #4 1/200 f/4.0 ISO200 105mm
    #9 1/200 f/4.5 ISO100 60mm

Flash is E-TTL and set at -1 to -1/3 EV FEC.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Crop #1 something like this?

684403172_Zs6xm-M.jpg

Does this help #2 at all, or is it just a bad position (seems like the latter):
    684403225_YyA5b-M.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Crop #1 something like this?

684403172_Zs6xm-M.jpg

Does this help #2 at all, or is it just a bad position (seems like the latter):
    684403225_YyA5b-M.jpg

On the first, I don't care for your new crop. Try to get the eyes at the upper third of the frame. Your crop has the eyes right down the center. I also don't care for the crop across the chin. Look at this shot as an illustration.

220171807_KBwPy-L.jpg

I don't know why, but I just don't care for the pose on the second one.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Great use of on camera for fill, very nice balance between the harsh sun and fill light it is hard to do and get decent results! You did a great job!
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    THanks for the feedback,

What part of Texas?

The ones other than 1 & 3; is it the pose, color, crop? Still trying to figure out this portraiture thing.

My DH is military and we are headed to Fort Hood.thumb.gif We are originally from South Texas (McAllen). It will be nice to be back in TX but I will miss all of my great photography friends here in Virginia.:cry

I will comment as best I can on these. I am still new to this but here goes...

#2 For some reason with this one I get a maternity shot pose feel. It's probably due to the position of her arm.

#4 Not sure if it's the processing but the light on her face seems flat. I, too, am still working on that one with some of my shots. However, the BG is great and so is her expression and pose. It looks natural.

#5 Her hair is blocking too much of her face. In some instances it does work but for some reason I'm not feeling it in this one.

#6 Feels stiff or forced.

#'s 7 & 8 Seems like she is tired...forced expressions.

#'s 9 & 10 Not sure what it is about them that didn't grab my eye. I do love the light on her hair in 9.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the additional feedback that helps. I think I went over my 15 minutes attention span on 'trying something out' with her. We weren't shooting on her terms. :D

I'll go back to look though these again with a more critical eye. Glad at age 10, I know she's not doing a maternity shot..... At least she'll have the pose right in another, say, 20 years.... :D

Mitchelll, I worry about the crop going the other way seems to add too much of the shoulder that is poorly oriented. In the end, I guess the look is good, but the pose is off, and there is limited ways to get that shoulder de-emphasized.

684883911_LzVro-M.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Pretty girl Andrew, You did good with the use of the light! I don't mind the poses at all....the shoulder one I actually like. I often tell my seniors to tuck their chin into their shoulder...tell them to "cutsie up" but usually have them more on an angle. I really like the one with hair movement too. Just a few questions.. Why the high fstops? Portraiture of a single subject I have found generally looks best at f4 to make the face pop off the background. That is on a 2.8 lens but a 4.5 would be pretty good too if you don't have one... then just up your shutter speed to control the ambient light. Did you try without fill at all? Find a way to use the sun at the edge of shade?
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    So this was more an exercise in shooting in the bright sun, so I explicitly was avoiding finding open shade. One part of the exercise was total open sun and getting her face properly lit.

So part of the answer to your question was that I'm not very skilled at this point of running the numbers properly in my head. I'm still not fully running ISO as a variable. So I didn't want to run HSS, sort of as a matter of principle since it might now work in other cases due to power reduction. So, given HSS was not an option 1/200 was a fixed value. I should have taken the ISO to 100 or the 50 to get from could have gotten in the 4 range. I was playing with an f/4 lens in this case (24-105 f/4L), but do have the 24-70 f/2.8L that I do love for great bokeh.

THe short of it is, that "drop the ISO" wasn't running through my head and hopefully I'm on a path to where it does become the reflex in bright light to get the narrow DOF that I should have had.

Thanks again for all of the help.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    You did a great job. I love the skin tones. I like the tighter crops best. The splotchy shade in the full length poses is distracting (IMHO).
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks. Yeah, I think the blotchy sun ones are failures in trying to overpower the sun with a speedlight. I think the ambient needed to be stopped way down, and I didn't go far enough.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I love 1, 3, and 4! The shoulder doesn't bother me in 1, and I think I like the latest recrop of 1 better. i have yet to experiment with this, seems hard to nail.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    I love 1, 3, and 4! The shoulder doesn't bother me in 1, and I think I like the latest recrop of 1 better. i have yet to experiment with this, seems hard to nail.

Thanks. Probably not as hard as I'm making it... practice, practice, practice (at least until she says, "Daaaaaaddddd"
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I absolutely adore #1. SUPER capture. The expression, the crop (2nd one is awesome) and ALSO your managment of light. Man, harsh sun looks easy in these pics! Wish it were that way in reality! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I think what you're not liking about the shoulder is that it seriously competes with the face... If she were only wearing a sleeved shirt.

That said, the final crop, imo, improves this shot substantially.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I think what you're not liking about the shoulder is that it seriously competes with the face... If she were only wearing a sleeved shirt.

That said, the final crop, imo, improves this shot substantially.

That may well be it.
    Thanks.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site