Options

B&W - C&C How 'bout it BD

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Street and Documentary
This is not a PJ shot moderator. It is an attempt to get some judgments on the quality of the B&W treatment of the images. Where else do people use B&W as much as here. The B&W discipline does not translate well in the sports forums.

Background: the subjects are engaged in "dirt track TT", motorcycle racing. The sport is enthusiast driven; there is no real (prize) money there and it mostly is a family affair. This track located in Lodi CA runs Friday night races, because the participants work in other fields. The track has lights, some are white, some green and some pink (with hot spots). The coverage is inadequate.

After sunset, you have to shoot with iso 6400. The track has less than three sweet spots and a couple of them have the colored lights. So shooting is very constrained. I haven't had acceptable images after 1600 on my D700 and last night was no different.

These images are at 6400 and noisy as hell. I tried converting them to see if I could save a few. Cropped with the noise sharpened (some contrast) I wondered how they compare to film grain. What do you think.

Bottom line , how does B&W noise compare to B&W film grain

685916230_dm6zz-M.jpg

No noise; just converted

685916389_kvX3L-M.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    torags wrote:
    This is not a PJ shot moderator. It is an attempt to get some judgments on the quality of the B&W treatment of the images. Where else do people use B&W as much as here. The B&W discipline does not translate well in the sports forums.

Background: the subjects are engaged in "dirt track TT", motorcycle racing. The sport is enthusiast driven; there is no real (prize) money there and it mostly is a family affair. This track located in Lodi CA runs Friday night races, because the participants work in other fields. The track has lights, some are white, some green and some pink (with hot spots). The coverage is inadequate.

After sunset, you have to shoot with iso 6400. The track has less than three sweet spots and a couple of them have the colored lights. So shooting is very constrained. I haven't had acceptable images after 1600 on my D700 and last night was no different.

These images are at 6400 and noisy as hell. I tried converting them to see if I could save a few. Cropped with the noise sharpened (some contrast) I wondered how they compare to film grain. What do you think.

Bottom line , how does B&W noise compare to B&W film grain

Very nice - Love the first one especially - and how does the noise compare to film grain? Well, if you'd shot film at 6400 the damn image would look like some sort of construction with golf balls.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    thanks for the response..

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Rags
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Nice shots!clap.gif

Personally, I like both of them, but if I had to choose, the first one would win!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson