Options

Been a good week - child potraits (C&C)

2»

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    We each have to decide what we want to reflect in the portrait work we do and what our style is.

If you search on the web for wardrobe suggestions by some of the high end portrait artists, you can make your own decisions.

Documentary/ environmental photography has a different feel than a close up headshot/portrait in a studio. My bank account and walk in clients from my studio tell me that I must be doing something right.

Kat, I don't think anyone in this discussion discounts that color and pattern are inconsequential in how the final result plays out. It was a discussion about how one goes about encouraging clients to choose clothing that will increase the odds of the final result being the best that it can be, and on the flip side how to best deal with a client who really wants a picture done in colors/styles/patterns that are far less than ideal. You provided one very useful insight into your process -- you select the clothes from a set provided and have even replaced their wardrobe when it was that far off. D'buggs noted that in the end, he'd take the best picture he could given the clothing choices made. I find the dialog useful, and I apologize if my pithy comment about Scotsmen pushed you to your 'whatever' subject line. In the end, what would be helpful to me is to understand more about about how to best shoot a nice set of portraits when the client wants strong patterns, or plaids, or short sleeves.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    In the end, what would be helpful to me is to understand more about about how to best shoot a nice set of portraits when the client wants strong patterns, or plaids, or short sleeves.

In the instance that I'm reflecting upon (happened ~3 weeks ago), I was shooting the last port of a family of 6 (5 ports total; each kid on their own, one of Mom & Dad.). The shoot was split up b'tween 2 sessions and the theme was high key. Wardrobe advice went fine for the previous 3 children and those shots were all completed in an earlier session - I pretty much felt that I had to keep to the theme in order to make the best of the intended project. I ended up desaturating the little fella's, black/white/red/blue plaid shirt in PSE7 but the image remains an eye-grabber when set along side the rest of the siblings. It really stands out from the rest that were made of soft solids/pastels. :cry

The "Boss" firmly made an 'Executive Decision' by not including a clothing change of favourable options. The final results were predictable and conveyed. Options offered but declined.... *click* - Now give me Da Money. wings.gif

The family says there real happy with the outcome. ne_nau.gif
    So be it. :D
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Maybe I'm silly, too, but #6 for me! Carter
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    FWIW......and not to fuel any flamers....

When I get a first call or inquiry from a prospective client I explain to them that my goal is to capture something timeless and classic in every shot and that the biggest factor in that is the choice of clothing. I ask them to avoid the trendy stuff and instead choose solid colors or small stripes or prints. I encourage clothing that is heavily textured. I tell them up front that if they come with the wrong clothing....the most they will get is a complete set of images finished in Black and White.

Ive never gone out and bought a client clothing, but I have had mothers strip their children down to diaper and tee shirt and rescheduled a high school senior once. I am a bit less intense about this with high schoolers, but ask that they stick with the rules for all but one change of clothes. I dont want them to have to purchase something new for the shoot. Id rather shoot them in everyday clothing that fits within my goal.

It is as important as lighting or exposure....or even whether the shot is in or out of focus.deal.gif
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi
    I aware I might be stepping out of line here, but this is actually my first time checking out the "people" forum and I really like what I see. BTW, you couldn't ask for a cuter subject and you do a marvelous job.
    I usually post in the wildlife/landscape forum(s) so I'm not too sure of the "people" forum etiquette and protocol, but someone commented on warming up one or more of your photos a bit and I couldn't resist applying a little PS warming filter to the image he referred to and the image just popped. Hopefully you're not offended by my taking liberties with one of your images. If so I duly apologize.
    Once again you do excellent work thumb.gif
    695149579_AS7SG-O.jpg
    Russ
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

It is as important as lighting or exposure....or even whether the shot is in or out of focus.deal.gif

Couldn't agree more. mwink.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Jeff, Kat, d'Buggs et al - no flames here... I appreciate all the input enormously. It's very helpful to hear how those of you out there "doing the job" handle these situations, so thanks for sharing.

Riddim-maker - looks good! Thanks for taking the time. I will do final edits on all of these when they decide which ones they want printed, so will definitely bear that in mind.

Again, my thanks to everybody for the comments, suggestions and general feedback! thumb.gif