Options

The Gambia

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Not sure if you would call these street or PJ but I'm sure a mod will move them if appropriate.

A few years ago I took a short trip to The Gambia and on one day managed to get a walk into the local village. It's hard to get natural shots as when an outsider with a camera is seen you tend to get mobbed by the kids. However none were posed just as natural as possible. All taken with a P&S.

The first few are in the local school room, and yes it is made of corrugated metal.

696866051_5WjKV-L.jpg

696866486_n4ME9-L.jpg

I was struck by how incredibly happy these kids were given the abject poverty (for us) that they live in.
696866968_xLST2-L.jpg

696867541_U6h3u-L.jpg

#5 Our guide advised us to buy sweets to hand out as its cheaper than money. This is pretty much as soon as my partner stepped out of the door.
696868015_KWYs4-L.jpg

#6 Doing the laundry
696865652_LJLtE-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, c&c always welcome.
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Nice series. Thanks for sharing them, and the bit of backstory on your trip. The third one is my favorite of them in how the kids are acting, and the one girl who is holding her position away from your shot (or at least ignoring the boys since she is looking at you in the first one).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Maybe it's not "street," but at least as far as I'm concerned it is photojournalism, which does belong here.

Excellent series in my opinion. Would love to hear more of the story after you get some comments..

As for photo quality, I think all of them could do with a little more contrast to richen them up some.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    i have to echo Andrew, the nr 1 and 3 stands out as the strongest of the bunch,
    even though i dont know the countrys full story
    i understand how every moment must have been special.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated.

Mark, I've upped the contrast a little and replaced the originals. Are these better or worse?

Just for info:
    Gambia is a predominantly muslin country in west africa.
    It is the starting point for "Roots", with the original slave camp a few miles upriver from where I was on the coast.
    1/3rd of the population live below the international poverty line.

The trip to the local school room came about as my partner was a teacher and the images were taken for her to show her class. All the images were originally colour and I converted in pp.

Here is one more image neither street nor PJ.
    Me at the local crocodile pool.
    696886687_gydto-L.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    696866968_xLST2-S.jpg

This is the best of the bunch by far. The subject is very interesting, but the others lack a visual hook.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    696866968_xLST2-S.jpg

This is the best of the bunch by far. The subject is very interesting, but the others lack a visual hook.

Definitely! The framing, the expressions, the arrangement of the kids - it all comes together in this image in a way it doesn't in the others.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Rutt thanks for the c&c I appreciate it.
    bdcolen wrote:
    Definitely! The framing, the expressions, the arrangement of the kids - it all comes together in this image in a way it doesn't in the others.clap.gifclap.gif

B.D. thank so much for taking the time to c&c my efforts, I really appreciate it.
    I knew that #4 was the strongest image, as the rest were taken more as a documentary type exercise to show kids in the UK some small glimpse at life in Gambia (particularly school life).

Once again thanks for the c&c gentlemen.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Yes, the contrast adjustment is better, could even go more, but it's fine as you displayed it.

I now what you are all saying about #3, but #4 is my favorite, with imo a wider range of expressions. I also like seeing kids from a lower angle..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    Cheers Mark
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page