Options

**WCC (Weddings Challenge Contest) #2: DRAGGIN' THE SHUTTER

2»

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Lots of great images in here so far, but the contest isn't over yet! I hope that everyone has a chance to enter.
    Pretty much how I shoot all my dance pics, have been for a while. This was shot at 1/13 sec:

666444074_nkvMt-M.jpg
  • Options
    ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Pretty much how I shoot all my dance pics, have been for a while. This was shot at 1/13 sec:

I keep coming back to admire this. I love all the little curves from the twinkle lights sort of raining down on the action.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Scoupe wrote:
    I keep coming back to admire this. I love all the little curves from the twinkle lights sort of raining down on the action.

Thank you - but I always worry that my clients, upon seeing all this blurry stuff, will think, ohmygod, the photographer had a little too much champagne. :D
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Last chance to enter today. Make sure you share!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Thank you - but I always worry that my clients, upon seeing all this blurry stuff, will think, ohmygod, the photographer had a little too much champagne. :D
    And, that's why I NEVER touch anything but water when I'm working - just helps to avoid that sort of confusion.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Father daughter walk down the isle, im sure he wanted to delay it as long as possible.....

368240375_RBwAW-L.jpg
  • Options
    akhakh Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Bride and Groom first first dance. Using my first DSLR camera Canon 10D.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    akh wrote:
    Bride and Groom first first dance. Using my first DSLR camera Canon 10D.

Oooooh! Very cool! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    WCC #2 Critique
    Congratulations to jdpst20 for winning this month's contest!

Thanks everyone for playing. Lots of great images and inspiration this month! I enjoyed “playing along at home” and experimenting with slower shutter speed at recent weddings-- definetly something I need to take advantage of more often. This is a tough area that demands a bit more planning than your average photo -- what are you going to do with all that time? What crawls into your frame as you move the camera around? What happens to bright sources of light as they linger? I really appreciate this as a huge source of inspiration.

A few random things I noticed:
    Over 1/3 of the images are dance floor images.
    1/3 are monochrome.
    Many images were “accidental”.

Urbanaries-
    Great use of movement while keeping the couple sharp. The bar (and its highlight) on the right competes with the bride and groom. Maybe a square crop might help...

Scott Quier-
    You really brought out the ambient light in this hall, but the photo lacks in composition. There is a lot of energy on with the bridesmaid and ring bearer, but the rest of the party looks dead. The bridesmaid in the back on the left side of the frame looks lost.

Angevin1-
    Lots of excitement and energy from the bride. I would crop this different so she isn’t centered. Maybe get rid of the right side of the frame and go square.

Heatherfeather-
    I love this frame. Great use of motion to tell the story and the colors are spot on. I don’t care for the tilt (it seems as if they are falling forward) and the post seems to come out of the brides head.

Foxysmud-
    I like the use of motion but the grass is giving you a color cast at a slower shutter speed. Also her right hand is clipped.

Matthew Saville-
    Wow, there’s alot to look at here! My favorite part of this is the ghost image in the upper right, but I wish the other couples facing the camera in the back right had more energy.

Jeffreaux2-
    I like the shot more and more every time I look at it. Nice and soft to show of their movement, I just wish the videographer wasn’t there.

Angieszka-
    I love the way the motion brings you straight to the bride.

Mmmatt-
    I love the isolated use of motion and the contrasting sharpness. If it were me (and I tested this) I would crop the image so the right edge of the frame is inside the brick building and the couple is cropped at the thigh. As it is, the top of his shoe being cut off and the grate between them is distracting.

Swartzy-
    Nice solid image, good angle on the little ones. Needs more motion to me or a tighter crop on the girls. Maybe you could bring out more of the dance floor reflection, wait, that was last month.

Blumore-
    I can see why this is one of your favorites. I love the motion and emotion of this shot. I just wish the chair could disappear.

Betz-
    You captured the groom perfectly in mid stride, but it lacks emotion and composition to me. Also his pinky had a close call.

Jdpst20-
    I love this image. Interesting background texture, great motion and it makes me speculate on what the groom is thinking. Super abstract. I don’t like the jpeg conversion.

Shima-
    A pretty funny image. He looks like he’s showing of more than the woman. However, I don’t know if the slower shutter speed added to the image.

Scoupe-
    This is a tough one. I like that you tried to do something new and get rid of bad details. I like the the groom is sharp enough. Unfortunately, with the light behind their heads, when you moved the camera it blurred many faces, and a face makes a portrait. Maybe cropping off the photo at their waists would help eliminate the contrast between the soft area above and the lower part of the frame that appears sharper.

Erinphotog-
    I think this would be a stronger photo from a different angle. With both the bride and groom looking out off the frame it loses the strong emotion.

Bdcolen-
    Way cool. The goofy looks/poses adds to the photo. So much fun it's infectious. I just wish his hand wasn’t missing.

Lilmomma-
    Very strong photo. Perfect use of slower shutter to add life and emotion to a photo. I would burn down the officiants face as the white area in the top of the frame draws yours eyes right to him.

Kinkajou-
    I dig the different approach that you brought to an otherwise boring scene, but the lack of emotion on the brides face doesn’t help the photo.

Unclejon-
    Slow shutter speed and multiple flashes helped this one out. Watch out for the open door blowing light into the room.

Kpage-
    I like this frame, but I would never guess a slow shutter speed was used.

Sara505-
    I dig how you brought in all of the ambient lights into your frame and made an otherwise run of the mill dancing photo into something special.

cj99si-
    I love this image, there’s a story inside! The bride and father are a bit too centered for my tastes.

Akh-
    I love the idea of this image Beautiful motion. The red dress makes the image, but the distracting background (and the red exit signs) really take away. I wish this was on a plain background!
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    jdpst20 wrote:
    Not sure if my photographers are on here from my wedding as I just joined yesterday, however I saw this thread and I had to post this photo from my wedding 3 months ago. They are Araujo Photography in Pittsburgh. This is easily in the top 5 of my favorites from that day.

congrats to jdpst, really cool image....Can you clarify something for me? I don't know if i'm misreading or not but I read this as another photog took this of his wedding? PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong on this, absolutely not trying to be a party pooper here...this photo well deserving of a win, just thought it had to be a photo you took. If I am wrong I apologize and once again congratulate jdpst!
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    congrats to jdpst, really cool image....Can you clarify something for me? I don't know if i'm misreading or not but I read this as another photog took this of his wedding? PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong on this, absolutely not trying to be a party pooper here...this photo well deserving of a win, just thought it had to be a photo you took. If I am wrong I apologize and once again congratulate jdpst!

I definitly read it the same way that someone else took it. And agree that people should probaly not be entering photos that are not there own work......Might upset their photog and lead to trouble.
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Crap. It looks like I dropped the ball on this one. I think you guys are correct. Jdpst does have his own website, and I assumed it was his image from a wedding he shot with Araujo Photography. Upon looking into it, the image appears on Araujo Photography's website and not on jdpst's. I will contact jdpst to clarify and move forward from there.
  • Options
    stumanipi5stumanipi5 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2009
    first time on submitting a pic, not a professional, but want to get more serious with it, shot a wedding a month or so back, and this was one of the mistakes, yet the folk that were in the photo really liked the photo??

DSC01242.jpg
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Crap. It looks like I dropped the ball on this one. I think you guys are correct. Jdpst does have his own website, and I assumed it was his image from a wedding he shot with Araujo Photography. Upon looking into it, the image appears on Araujo Photography's website and not on jdpst's. I will contact jdpst to clarify and move forward from there.
    Yeah... I thought nobody called him out because he was new and confused on the rules. Sorta like the person who posted after the deadline.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Yeah... I thought nobody called him out because he was new and confused on the rules. Sorta like the person who posted after the deadline.

Matt

all things considered, I totally see why Tenover was so smitten with that photo. It is splendid. I sure hope who posted it (their wedding, I think) bought a giant print of that. it's truly a work of art. thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

Yeah, posting photos from your own wedding (you were not the photographer) is a no go.

Good eyes lilmomma!!

Sounds like tenoverthenose & maybe Scott (?) already contacted him ... Too bad .... it IS a nice pic .... Keep us posted if there are any news! thumb.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    all things considered, I totally see why Tenover was so smitten with that photo. It is splendid. I sure hope who posted it (their wedding, I think) bought a giant print of that. it's truly a work of art. thumb.gif

Yeah... fully agree with that. It is a gorgeous image. Not sure how they pulled it off though... off camera flash between them or maybe ambient light and she was really booking! Great image though!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    And, that's why I NEVER touch anything but water when I'm working - just helps to avoid that sort of confusion.

Oy! Hope you didn't think I implied I have even a drop of alcohol when I'm working!
  • Options
    plc001plc001 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    I may be too late, but just wanted to share:

687565049_uRZ6H-X3.jpg
    687485937_aXodj-XL.jpg
  • Options
    jdpst20jdpst20 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2009
    Sorry for all the confusion. This is not an image that was taken by me. I didn't really mean to enter it into a contest, I just wanted to share an awesome photo taken by my photographers at my wedding. The credit goes to Araujo Photography for taking the image. Sorry if I messed up the contest, I apologize.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    jdpst20 wrote:
    Sorry for all the confusion. This is not an image that was taken by me. I didn't really mean to enter it into a contest, I just wanted to share an awesome photo taken by my photographers at my wedding. The credit goes to Araujo Photography for taking the image. Sorry if I messed up the contest, I apologize.
    No worries. We recovered. Now, enter one in the current contest!