laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited August 17, 2017 in Street and Documentary
deleted for privacy

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 5, 2009
    Hi there and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif.

Wonderful shot. Doesn't get more urban than that. I love the light and the deep blue sky. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Welcome,
    I really like looking at this shot. I'm from Queens, so I've walked down similar streets many times. It's stark and beautiful in an odd way. I'ts home:) not perfect, not the midwest with white picket fences, but it's home.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2017
    deleted for privacy
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thank you both so much! I forgot to say, I actually made my first intro post here with some info about me: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149482

Admittedly I don't have a very good eye for inanimate objects or landscapes; my forte really is shooting people -- part of the reason I was pleasantly surprised with this shot. Usually my landscapes looks like boring snapshots.

I recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix LX3 to carry around with me all the time, and it's proven really useful. It's great in low light, with a super fast 24-60mm f/2.0-2.8 Leica lens. I don't currently have a backup system to my DSLR setup, so carrying it around the city, banging around on the subway makes me really nervous -- particularly since as a freelancer I use it to supplement my income and would be in trouble if anything happened to it! So I was stuck with just my cell phone camera, which just wasn't cutting it.

Here's another shot I took with it. I've only owned it since Friday so I'm still definitely learning my way around it, but have been really pleased thus far!

Two very nice images. How much post processing did you do on them?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Hi, Lauren. I like the first one, a lot. Love those lights at the end of the street, saying "someone's home."

The second one makes me nervous - it's precariously close to that big foot - but it's well done.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Two very nice images. How much post processing did you do on them?

Thank you! Virtually no post. I heightened the exposure a tiny bit on each of them, straightened the first out a bit, and added some vignetting on the second. The colors that come directly off the camera are astounding.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Hi, Lauren. I like the first one, a lot. Love those lights at the end of the street, saying "someone's home."

The second one makes me nervous - it's precariously close to that big foot - but it's well done.

Thanks, Sara! The owner of that giant foot is my boyfriend. I didn't want him to move because I like the orange stripe on his shoe matching the butterfly, and also I was afraid if he moved he'd scare it away! Immediately after I took the photo the butterfly took off, almost as if he was posing just for me rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thanks, Sara! The owner of that giant foot is my boyfriend. I didn't want him to move because I like the orange stripe on his shoe matching the butterfly, and also I was afraid if he moved he'd scare it away! Immediately after I took the photo the butterfly took off, almost as if he was posing just for me rolleyes1.gif

It's a great image. Urban butterfly. A Brooklyn stop-over on its way to Mexico.
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix LX3 to carry around with me all the time, and it's proven really useful. It's great in low light, with a super fast 24-60mm f/2.0-2.8 Leica lens.

I love both photos, especially the butterfly and shoe! The colors are wonderful. Great seeing!

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Bravo! And again we learn the best camera is the one you have with you.
    geoff
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    It looks like....................................................... America iloveyou.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 6, 2009
    The orange is also echoed by the tree in the background. I love this shot. Delicate beauty on a rough pavement with a large, possibly threatening foot nearby. Wonderful, just wonderful. clap.gifclapclap.gif