Options

Web site pictures darker than on my computer

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello, it looks like when I upload some pictures to my website they appear a bit darker than what they really look like on my computer.
This is not the first time that people tell me that my pictures are too dark, yet they look just fine on my PC:scratch :scratch :scratch :scratch

Bounty
:photo

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Without any additional information my guess is your using an LCD monitor. They are historically very bright.

While images will look great on your monitor they will typically look dark on other monitors and print dark.

Sam
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Without any additional information my guess is your using an LCD monitor. They are historically very bright.

While images will look great on your monitor they will typically look dark on other monitors and print dark.

Sam

I hear you, but my shot also look fine on my cameraheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    :photo
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Is your monitor calibrated? If not then the brightness setting is probably at its max causing inaccurate adjustment. Otherwise, you might want to tell other people to adjust their monitors accordingly. Do you have any particular samples that can be posted here to demonstrate the problem?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    If your images look too dark on most computers, and ok on your non-calibrated monitor, then I suspect your monitor is way too bright, and your files are really darker than you believe they are.

Most computer monitors, as shipped today, are much brighter, and more intensely colored ( color saturation ) than an accurately calibrated monitor is - because bright, intensely color images capture people's attention when sitting next to other monitors on a store display.

Most good calibrating software will attempt to set the brightness of the image as well as the proper color balance as well.

Do not trust the LCD n the back of your camera - it will lie to youthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TheSuedeTheSuede Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Both "normal screen setups" and camera LCD's are a lot brighter than they should be. Assuming that this is "correct" will put you in lots of trouble when sharing your pictures with other people...

Most LCD's needs to have their brightness lowered to less than HALF the original value, and more often than not cheap consumer LCD-screens just simply CAN'T be turned down to the correct level of brightness. Even minimum brightness setting is to bright.
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hello, it looks like when I upload some pictures to my website they appear a bit darker than what they really look like on my computer.
    This is not the first time that people tell me that my pictures are too dark, yet they look just fine on my PCheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Bounty

Monitors vary greatly in their output, even among LCDs. My photos that look great on either of my very good LCDs at home routinely look dark and dreary on any of the three Dell LCDs I have at work. And that's with my home monitors calibrated and the Brightness dialed down to 20-30% and the Dells cranking out 100%. This has been my biggest gripe against digital since day one. (Not that it's stopped me from switching over.) I suspect you're in the same situation.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.