Options

C&C Please

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Finishing School
OK junk or artistic?

Be honest................don't sugar coat it. OK you can sprinkle a little sugar on top. :D

Sam

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I think its an interesting take. Not my particular taste, but I think it has a distinct vibe, and could find appeal. I think you could take this look and perhaps broaden the appeal based on the tones and texture. This felt pretty metalic because of the grey/blue; perhaps something in the browns would make it more an embossed leather feel. Keep on playing with it, I think it has legs.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I like the processing/pastels. Something a little different and I keep looking straight into this guy's eyes... He is definitely looking back at me. clap.gif
  • Options
    James HJames H Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Hi Sam. I wont call it junk, but I don't think I'd call it art either.

The guy has a distinctive look, and I think you captured that very well. I'm confused however by your chosen treatment. The strange colors and faux distressing ruin what is otherwise a perfectly good image, IMHO.

I did a quick sepia conversion, to get past the awful mix of colors, and I liked that look much better, but the texture was still too much to ignore. I guess I just don't see where the chosen texture enhances the image in any way.

I also liked Andrews suggestion about an embossed leather look. That might work better with the subject and the existing background. And like he said, keep messing with it, you're working with a strong foundation.
    --James

Homepage - James Hill Photography

• Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I think it's definitely artistic, but whether it's successful or not, I can't say. It depends on what response you were hoping to evoke.

It's a very compelling portrait, but the cluttered surrounding distract from it. If that was your motivation for the effects you applied, I don't think it worked. I think tight vignetting and/or blurring would be more effective and not as distracting.

If you wanted to convey that the subject is somehow far more unusual than he might ordinarily appear, I think you're on track. The effects do provoke a response, but is it the one you want?
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hi,

I must admit I am just playing around attempting to exaggerate the character on the face. I am not looking for any particular feed back other than what you honestly think.

Another set of eyes with a different viewpoint is invaluable.

Here is the original version, which I like, but the portraitee doesn't like. headscratch.gif

No problem at all. If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

I did modify the heavy processed one to remove much of the blue.

I do thank all who commented!!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009