Options

A few motorcycle trials shots from the weekend

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in Sports
A few from our local meet last weekend. What do you think?

710007502_Czv5G-L.jpg

1. edit
711966299_Ad8X5-L.jpg

709982459_kFuYJ-L.jpg

709999145_Xwop7-L.jpg

3 edit
711968864_29fT2-L.jpg

709966805_7qTYU-L.jpg

709953935_NvUco-M.jpg

5 edit
711962278_P6jpa-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Cool, we don't see many trials pics in here.

#1. Great perspective from on top of the rock! the only thing I would do is use the burn tool to darken up the tire and and front fo the bike where your flash overexposed that part just a bit. If you darken that part of the pic, the lighting will be the same throughout the pic and it will look better IMO.

#2. Great perspective again! I think the bike and rider look a little too small here though. Perhaps if you crop a bit off the top, left and bottom. That would make it look better to me.

#3. Pretty good pic, but your flash once again overexposed a tad. The burn tool could make this pic pop a bit more.

#4. Sorry, this pic is boring and the bike isn't properly exposed. Throw this one in the bin.

#5. Great shot here. Love the background. Unfortunately it's hazy. Some more post and this pic could be outstanding.

These are just my opinions and I didn't write the book and what looks good. I'm just answering your question. Thanks for the post.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks for the input.

I usually do not use a flash but, it was getting late and the sun was really backlighting bad. I will try toning down the flash highlights and post back. I sort of like them though.

For #5 what should I do? I agree about the hazyness. Darken it with the brightness slider? Add a graduated filter from the right side?

#2 I didn't want to crop too much becuase I like the height perspective. But the rider is a bit small in there. I will try it too.

#4 I just liked the crash shot. Not that it is very special.
  • Options
    CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

#4. Sorry, this pic is boring and the bike isn't properly exposed. Throw this one in the bin.

Laughing.gif...nah! Keep it! It is proof that it was only a single point Dab! rolleyes1.gif

Zerodog...thanks for posting these. I think this post may have cost me $3,500! I have had my eye on a GasGas trials bike in the area and I may have to give the chap a call now!! deal.gif

Love shot #1. Other than being slightly hot on the frame and tire, this one is a winner!
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

I usually do not use a flash but, it was getting late and the sun was really backlighting bad. I will try toning down the flash highlights and post back. I sort of like them though.

For #5 what should I do? I agree about the hazyness. Darken it with the brightness slider? Add a graduated filter from the right side?

#2 I didn't want to crop too much becuase I like the height perspective. But the rider is a bit small in there. I will try it too.

#4 I just liked the crash shot. Not that it is very special.

#5 was kinda hard to work with. I ended up opening it up as a RAW file and doing most touchup there. I blurred the background a bit to give some seperation as well. It's still not perfect but IMO it looks better now. I also did s small crop on #2. I don't think it takes away the perspective and it frames it better. IMO anyway.

Original

711241037_RedFq-L.jpg

Touched up

711241063_nD33i-L.jpg

#2 Cropped a bit

711243606_QTBNo-L.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Erbeman, I like the added blur but to me the tone tweak is a bit warm. I will try some stuff tonight on it. I like the crop on #2 a lot though. Keeps the perspective and just gets a bit closer.

Thanks for the ideas and input!
    Erbeman wrote:
    #5 was kinda hard to work with. I ended up opening it up as a RAW file and doing most touchup there. I blurred the background a bit to give some seperation as well. It's still not perfect but IMO it looks better now. I also did s small crop on #2. I don't think it takes away the perspective and it frames it better. IMO anyway.

Original

711241037_RedFq-L.jpg

Touched up

711241063_nD33i-L.jpg

#2 Cropped a bit

711243606_QTBNo-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 12, 2009
    You know you want it...GasGas calling Crossbar...

Nice shots here. I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. I would like to add my thanks for posting--we don't see enough Trails.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    So is this the event the BLM raided?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    You know you want it...GasGas calling Crossbar...

You rang??!! :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Nice.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    You rang??!! :D
    I just got a nice new KTM 530 :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    ian408 wrote:

I need a winter bike out here, can I borrow it? I let you borrow the RT rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    ian408 wrote:

That would fit nicely between my 450exc and 950sm~!!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    That would fit nicely between my 450exc and 950sm~!!
    You have a 9-fiddy too? I love mine.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Did some editing. Put the new ones next to the old ones in the OP.
    What do you think?

No, no BLM raids for us. It was smooth sailing. We haven't had problems at all. All of the events have permits and some of the areas have permits for years to come. clap.gif