Options

Field Sports: sell 100-400L to fund 300/2.8IS?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Cameras
I bought a 100-400L to shoot a daytime soccer tournament last month. It was great, but I know that the 300/2.8 is the ultimate for IQ, speed, and bokeh. At the tournament I tried locking the 100-400 at 300mm for a while to see what it would be like, and I quickly found myself wanting to unlock it. This was on my 1DIIN.

I've landed some paying jobs lately, so I could conceivably sell the 100-400 and buy a used 300/2.8IS. But I don't think I could justify keeping both, or should I just keep saving until I can??

When shooting field sports with a 300, I imagine it is standard practice to also carry another body with a zoom, yes? But what zoom? 70-200? 100-400? I have a 70-200/4LIS and a 5DII I could use for that, if that would be advisable.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    ... When shooting field sports with a 300, I imagine it is standard practice to also carry another body with a zoom, yes? But what zoom? 70-200? 100-400? I have a 70-200/4LIS and a 5DII I could use for that, if that would be advisable.

When i was shooting American football I did some research and, by far, the combination of 2 bodies and a 300mm, f2.8 or f4, along with a 70-200mm, f2.8, were the favorite combinations for both Nikon and Canon shooters.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy. I also have to wonder about the Sigma 120-300/2.8. Can it possibly come anywhere close to the L for IQ at 300mm? I also have to wonder if it being black would affect my sales!! Even little league parents know the white lenses mean business!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy. I also have to wonder about the Sigma 120-300/2.8. Can it possibly come anywhere close to the L for IQ at 300mm? I also have to wonder if it being black would affect my sales!! Even little league parents know the white lenses mean business!

Comparison crops
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    What is the normal use for your sports shots? Web use or print?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    I also have to wonder if it being black would affect my sales!! Even little league parents know the white lenses mean business!

Laughing.gif! :D So not fair to us Nikon guys...
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009

I wouldn't worry about the color. Big lens makes you somewhat credible no matter the color.

The 120-300 would be a good alternative. I will not say it is as sharp as a prime, but it has a useful range. I have one and I am pleased with its performance. The quality is close to my 70-200 Nikon Vr in the IQ and focus departments.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    What is the normal use for your sports shots? Web use or print?

Well... last Baseball season was my first, and most of my sales were 4x6s rolleyes1.gif. Then some 5x7s, even fewer 8x10s, and I can count on one hand how many went larger than that.

The other use of my pictures is kids taking screen shots of my protected/watermarked proofs and putting them on Facebook.:oogle
    -Jack

• Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

Ok that's not even funny! Wow!

I love that tool, should have thought to use it.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    thumb.gif Stick with the manufacturer(Canon/Nikon) brand glass...it's better for the short and long term. Except for Zeiss primes! :D
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    thumb.gif Stick with the manufacturer(Canon/Nikon) brand glass...it's better for the short and long term. Except for Zeiss primes! :D

Those Zeiss primes look yummy, but I'm usually shooting things that move.
    -Jack

• Options
    jamiedjamied Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2009
    I concur, stick with your particular camera vendor, although I have heard a lot of good feedback on the Sigma 150-300, but not enough to make me buy one.

As far as two body setups, 400mm 2.8 and a good monopod + a 70-200 2.8 (is or non)

If you are fortunate enough for a third body, 16-35 or 24-70.

It also does not hurt to have a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter in your bag. You could not really use it in poor light, but it would give you some good reach for your outside daylight shots.

I shot College football w/ a 100-400 and that is nice if you only have one body, and with field sports (soccer/football/lacrosse/rugby), I just do not see it possible to shoot w/ a single body and your big tele be a 300/400 prime. Just my opinion, but my game plan would be (and is) to pick up a 2nd body and the 300/400 at the same time (used or refurbished), but that opinion is based upon what I currently shoot. My 70-200 2.8 on a 40D is my current work horse setup and covers 95% of my "needs" however i have other wants
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    When i was shooting American football I did some research and, by far, the combination of 2 bodies and a 300mm, f2.8 or f4, along with a 70-200mm, f2.8, were the favorite combinations for both Nikon and Canon shooters.
    Whenever I shoot Rugby or Baseball that's the set up I use 99% of the time.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    So.... anybody got some :jawdrop samples from their 300/2.8?
    -Jack

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009

You should amble on over to the WildLife forum. There are usually a good number there.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009

@2.8
    628397648_c6c3ff9e9a_o.jpg
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.