Options

Pros/Cons of PS Student Edition?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Wow. I d/l'ed and installed LR3 Beta last night. I don't even know where to start. Looks like I'm going to have to spend some serious time learning how it all works. Good thing the beta version is good until April, I just might figure it out a little bit by then and I can decide if want to go ahead and buy the program. I assume the learning curve for PS is even steeper... I definitely want to learn how to use these applications, I love the results I've seen other people get, I just don't know where I'll find the time! headscratch.gif:D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Wow. I d/l'ed and installed LR3 Beta last night. I don't even know where to start. Looks like I'm going to have to spend some serious time learning how it all works. Good thing the beta version is good until April, I just might figure it out a little bit by then and I can decide if want to go ahead and buy the program. I assume the learning curve for PS is even steeper... I definitely want to learn how to use these applications, I love the results I've seen other people get, I just don't know where I'll find the time! headscratch.gif:D

Take a couple of shots, load them into lightroom, and just start moving the sliders around.
    You'll pick up the basics pretty quick.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I find it much less intimidating than PS-CS3 a few good online tutorials help. just google a couple or post questions here.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I've used educational versions of Photoshop version 6, CS2, and now waiting for the delivery of CS4. While I'm in college taking a part time class there is not benefit of Photoshop, it's only for my personal use and hobby but wanted to buy it since it's discounted.

My question is how does this license work after you're no longer registered for school or after you graduate? I always thought the license is only purchasable by a qualified user but after that point can be used by the same person if they are no longer in school and not for profit.

It's interesting but in the few times I bought academic software from college bookstores I never been asked to verify my status as a student. Not to mention anyone can sign up for a class with their local community college, or adult school and become a student, purchase the software on-line then drop the class. I seriously wonder how many "students" are taking advantage of this?
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Also one of the differences between the full license and student license if I remember correctly is that the student license is not for profit. In other words if you are doing work for hire/pay you are expected to purchase the full license.

This is not true, you are allowed to use these copies for profit. The license says so.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    I've used educational versions of Photoshop version 6, CS2, and now waiting for the delivery of CS4. While I'm in college taking a part time class there is not benefit of Photoshop, it's only for my personal use and hobby but wanted to buy it since it's discounted.
    GOOD IDEA
    My question is how does this license work after you're no longer registered for school or after you graduate? I always thought the license is only purchasable by a qualified user but after that point can be used by the same person if they are no longer in school and not for profit.
    YES trhe license works after you are no longer a student and you can get all the updates and upgrades anyone else can get......and you can use it for profit....license says so
    It's interesting but in the few times I bought academic software from college bookstores I never been asked to verify my status as a student. Not to mention anyone can sign up for a class with their local community college, or adult school and become a student, purchase the software on-line then drop the class. I seriously wonder how many "students" are taking advantage of this?
    Many college bookstores just figure that if you are buying from them you're a student........yes anyone can sign up and pay tuition and then drop class after making purchase of academic software but man that is a hassel.
    For high dollar sfotware....there are many more students taking advantage of it than one thinks....no only students but also faculty and staff......I bought several different types of software when I was employed at a local "U"....I knew a janitor that also bought photoshop and several other high end programs........
    Most academic software only requires you to be employed by or a student of higher education...in some instances it K- post graduate.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    Not to be disagreeable with others - but I HIGHLY recommend not using the Beta of LR3 for any meaningful work. Adobe has been very clear just how early in the process that software is and has even indicated that the database you make in the Beta will likely not transfer to the full version once it's released.

There's another thread on the LR3 Beta here on dgrin - I'd encourage anyone considering using the Beta to read that thread fully before diving in.