Options

On-Site Printing for Events

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Well, I am not sure if I am ready with a full post-mortem yet, but I can say Badminton went quite well.

I will actually back up and describe our set up at dance first.
    Dance day 1, we had 4 used laptops ($150 each) with Windows XP on them. We thought one had enough brains to run LR efficiently and export to our viewing stations. The laptops were networked with a modem and software called network magic.

That totally crashed, and we implemented plan B about noon, which was run files through LR on the hubbys new laptop, and move them via memory stick to the viewing stations. We did very few sales day 1. I know we could have done better.

I had not planned on offering sales after the fact on line, but had to because of this. Oh, and my hubby was being helpful and renamed my files - and sadly didn't manage that very well. So uploading was a huge challenge in terms of ordering and organizing the photos.

Many lessons learned.

Sunday Dance went better, but still sales were less than half of what I had hoped for from the weekend. Sales are trickling in via the web site now.

Despite having had many discussions about pricing and pushing sales of packages at the event for later delivery, this didn't go well at dance either. I thought that folks would jump at the package pricing I had in place, and the different paper choices I offered cf an on site print from a good ink jet on glossy 8x11 photo paper. They didn't because we weren't selling it that way. Another lesson learned.

My second shooter took over the photo booth while I did the actual dance photos. We had trouble getting the prints properly exposed from the lighting at the booth. Reprinted almost every on site print we sold.

So preparation, hardware and communication were all lessons that we learned from that event.

The big upside is I have already been hired to do it all again next year, and also asked to look into bidding some local horse shows. I have been told that the participants haven't had this quality of shots ever before.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    The big upside is I have already been hired to do it all again next year, and also asked to look into bidding some local horse shows. I have been told that the participants haven't had this quality of shots ever before.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif Congrats! I knew the photo quality would be amazing and didn't expect anything less from you!

I just wished I had the time to fly up and help you with the badminton tourney!
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    Badminton - 6x 14 hour days, 900 matches, 350 different participants. Eliminations over the first two days, so the need to shoot every match those days is critical.

Hubby wanted much flashier display set up. We had seen the very large, very beautiful HP touch screens at Staples prior to dance, and knew they had really big crowd appeal. So, we bought two at Costco before badminton.

We used one as our work station, and one as a stand alone viewing station. We still used the 4 networked laptops. Hubby sill moved files from the main to the others by memory stick (I think that is more work than necessary, and can be improved).

I hired a local shooter, and a fellow from Toronto that shoots badminton and was traveling to Edmonton with his son for the competition. Our first night, a fellow walked up and introduced himself and we ended up hiring him too. I also paid my oldest son to work the booth with the dh.

I shot alone Monday, had 4 of us shoot Tuesday and Wednesday, and 2 the rest of the tournament. We covered every match, and at the end of it all took 30K photos!

My husband was much better prepared to sell the packages, and we actually did very little on site printing. People were quite happy to hear the description of the package, our "savings' over ordering on site by the sheet, and see the difference in paper. I sold a ton of metallic paper, and a ton of 'package b'.

I charged $10 shipping on every order, and have enough markup that I can drop ship the big orders with tracking numbers and still make a good $.

It was pretty scary, though, for the first several days! Almost everyone bought last minute, including many that just paid for the package and hoped they would find shots on line afterward.

I had what I thought was a great last minute idea, and bought 100 512kb thumbdrives, with my contact info on them. I only sold digital files to 3 customers at the event, and 1 had his own memory stick! So I now have 98 USBs to get rid of! I think the digital file pricing is a challenge, because I don't think they should sell for less than a single print, but customers sure do!

Next time I do this, I will have fewer choices for people.

I had 2 collage sizes for order, one for on site. I had on site prints. I had 2 packages for order. I offered lustre or metallic paper. I had two sizes of digital files available. I also offered key chains, mouse pads, magnets and luggage tags. I sold one of each!

I believe, once we pay shooters, and tally the cost of things like paper, printer ink, etc. and a portion of the cost of the hardware, I will still have money left! Maybe not enough for the 5dMkII, but close!
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif Congrats! I knew the photo quality would be amazing and didn't expect anything less from you!

I just wished I had the time to fly up and help you with the badminton tourney!

It would have been sooooo awesome if you could have! I will share some of my good shots with you later - still uploading, uploading, uploading!

ann
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    It would have been sooooo awesome if you could have! I will share some of my good shots with you later - still uploading, uploading, uploading!

ann

Hey Ann,

Them lessons are kind of like prickly pears. No fun at all...

In my on-site printing evolution, I finally just offered onsite printing. 5x7 or 8x10. Simple as that.

It always amazes me how most people seem to go into a trance if they have more than 2 choices headscratch.gif

Glad to hear that your in the black thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    What kind of trailer? Any chance of a pic?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Ok, not sure if I should bring this back to life, but maybe the participants here will have some input. I am looking for someone who has rented or knows where I can rent a dye-sub printer for event/on-site printing. The only thing slowing me down is the printing portion. I can get the photos up for the parents/participants within minutes, but when my wife starts printing, we start running into problems. I have looked into a few dye-sub printers, which from the looks of it, after I sell one roll of photos, it will have paid for itself and put a few $$ in my pocket. I would like to rent one first and make sure it is a good choice for our setup, also hoping being able to get the prints out faster will bring in more orders. As it stands, what we don't get printed onsite, I ship to the customer (at my cost).

Also, does anyone here use a veiwing program that includes a cart system which allows you to process payment also? I currently am running two seperate programs for this, which works for me, but the hired help (wife) wants me to find a "all in one" system.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thanks for reserecting this thread. I have been an event photographer most of my career but never really offered on-site printing but I have been looking into it. What you all think of this issue of Dye Sub verses Inkjet? Who prints on what and what do the customers say?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    I only inquired about dye-sub rentals because, from my research, I found the larger dye-subs to be quicker than inkjet printers. Right now I am using an inkjet (Kodak) and my customers love the prints. I agree with Glort, I try to get the shots the parents can't or don't think of. Also, yes, I have 25 viewing stations and there are still people waiting in line! I am going to double this in January (merry Xmas to me!!!) I have found some orders for photos that I would have tossed, so now I only cut the ones that are truly missed shots or way out of focus. Also, beefing up my marketing funds....
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Wow! 25 viewing stations? Can someone please post some pictures of the trailers you use and your viewing stations? I have not thought of these things when I was setting up my event photography. How do you have all the viewing stations networked together to show the pictures?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I also have a question about viewing stations.

Are these just monitors with mice so customers can flip through quickly? With no ordering or selection capabilities?

They just write an image number on the order form?

Thanks
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Now here's a question. I don't do enough events to have all these viewing stations and on-site printing. Has anyone had luck pointing the clients to your SmugMug gallery and having them order from the website?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    fredjclaus wrote:
    Now here's a question. I don't do enough events to have all these viewing stations and on-site printing. Has anyone had luck pointing the clients to your SmugMug gallery and having them order from the website?

I tried that in the beginning and found on site printing results in a far greater number of sales. People like instant gratification and pay for that privilege.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    I currently am using the following:
    I am always indoors, so just some tables to set the monitors on, no trailer. I cover the tables with table cloths that go to the floor to cover up the cables and computers under the table. I bought a barebones unit from newegg.com that I run as my server. I use Photo Parata as my viewing software, (LOVE the customer service I get when I need it, but really hoping for a full cart system soon.). Also, the customers can NOT shut down the viewing stations, they can only get back to the softwares home page. I use 5 (currently using just 3, but other 2 are set up and ready to go..) P4 PCs (3ghz) running XP Pro as my actual viewing stations, all linked up with Vspace which allows me to turn 1 computer into 11 total, and I only need mice, no keyboards. I am increasing to 55 stations this winter/spring. I would LOVE to set up a "open up box" of some sort where I only had to open it up, plug it in and start the computer, but I don't have a way to transport something like that right now. If the next couple seasons work out for me, maybe I can fund something like that.

From what I just wrote, it seems that I made that clear as mud... sorry if it seems that way. Here is a shot I took a few weeks ago at a Convention Center. Not everything is completely set up, but gives an idea of what I have. The finished "product" does not allow the customers to see all the networking cables and power cords under the table. Thats my daughter working hard to help me set things up.....

721261814_osEXM-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    fredjclaus wrote:

When people seem like they don't want to wait for an open station, I hand out flyers or business cards to direct them to the website. Another way I do this is with sample products (mugs, mousepads, buttons, etc.). The moms LOVE these things. I should know, my wife used to buy tons of them before I started selling them.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I also have a question about viewing stations.

Are these just monitors with mice so customers can flip through quickly? With no ordering or selection capabilities?

They just write an image number on the order form?

Thanks

Our customers can add photos to a cart which uses their phone number as a log in. This allows them to leave and come back and get to their photos quickly, even at future events. They then put the file numbers on an order form.....

Until I get a full cart system that will tie into a checkout system, we are using paper order forms that I created. So far they have worked great, but I am sure there is a much better system out there. When the customers hand in the order form, they pay at that time.

All teams have their own "folder" and I just have the customer put the team name and file number of the photo they want, and the size of print they want since we offer 3 different sizes of on-site printing.
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I just want to say thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences here. I have hopes of trying this idea out next summer during a large softball tournament in Colorado. You have all certainly given me good things to think about, things I would have run into completely blind.

I do think that, at least for my event, onsite printing is a must. The teams that come to events like this are doing so every weekend. For them to want my pics from one of many events they attend each summer, and to want them bad enough to go online, just isn't going to happen. One of my in-laws was actually my inspiration for doing this. Her daughter plays competitively, and she said in no uncertain terms that she will buy onsite, but won't go online, just because the chance will be there at the next tourney. It's a total impulse buy.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    Rocket,

Where can I find "Vspace"?

I currently am using the following:
    I am always indoors, so just some tables to set the monitors on, no trailer. I cover the tables with table cloths that go to the floor to cover up the cables and computers under the table. I bought a barebones unit from newegg.com that I run as my server. I use Photo Parata as my viewing software, (LOVE the customer service I get when I need it, but really hoping for a full cart system soon.). Also, the customers can NOT shut down the viewing stations, they can only get back to the softwares home page. I use 5 (currently using just 3, but other 2 are set up and ready to go..) P4 PCs (3ghz) running XP Pro as my actual viewing stations, all linked up with Vspace which allows me to turn 1 computer into 11 total, and I only need mice, no keyboards. I am increasing to 55 stations this winter/spring. I would LOVE to set up a "open up box" of some sort where I only had to open it up, plug it in and start the computer, but I don't have a way to transport something like that right now. If the next couple seasons work out for me, maybe I can fund something like that.

From what I just wrote, it seems that I made that clear as mud... sorry if it seems that way. Here is a shot I took a few weeks ago at a Convention Center. Not everything is completely set up, but gives an idea of what I have. The finished "product" does not allow the customers to see all the networking cables and power cords under the table. Thats my daughter working hard to help me set things up.....

721261814_osEXM-M.jpg
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    hears a question for you all. What program do you use as your viewing software and why do you use it?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    I'm guessing it's this:

http://www.ncomputing.com/Solutions/vSpaceSoftware.aspx

You don't need a PC for each user, just a display, keyboard, mouse, and a special interface box and a single central server.

fredjclaus wrote:
    Rocket,

Where can I find "Vspace"?
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    I'm guessing it's this:

http://www.ncomputing.com/Solutions/vSpaceSoftware.aspx

You don't need a PC for each user, just a display, keyboard, mouse, and a special interface box and a single central server.

And you would be correct....
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Thanks guys. I took a look at that and I've also been in touch with Same over at Photo Parata. Did you know he sells a who system as well?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Yeah, saw that, but it is a bit pricey. But either way you go, it gets expensive. I will say, the customer service you get from Sam is 2nd to NONE! Let us know what you decide on. I am looking to build a few "stands" or mobile stations for my system. Kinda like a plug and play system.... just have to find a way to transport it.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    Yeah, I have the design in my head, I will try to put it on paper soon. I'm sure since its my first design, my wife won't like it and will strike it down...lol. I will show it as soon as I get it on paper.