Options

Drag to Arrange issue

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited December 3, 2009 in Bug Reporting
In the 'drag to arrange' functionality, I've determined that when the image is dragged to it's new location, it's position in the actual gallery is updated when the image is put in it's new place, rather than waiting for the user to hit the 'done' button.

This is a problem, in that it doesn't allow the user to make some trial changes, and then discard it if it didn't work and try again.

The only time image positioning should be updated is when the "done" button is hit, and not before.
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 3, 2009
    I took a look and I am pretty sure that this is intentional. The done button is intended as "I am done arranging the photos". I will put in a feature request to make this clearer, or possibly offer an undo option. thumb.gif

timk519 wrote:
    In the 'drag to arrange' functionality, I've determined that when the image is dragged to it's new location, it's position in the actual gallery is updated when the image is put in it's new place, rather than waiting for the user to hit the 'done' button.

This is a problem, in that it doesn't allow the user to make some trial changes, and then discard it if it didn't work and try again.

The only time image positioning should be updated is when the "done" button is hit, and not before.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I took a look and I am pretty sure that this is intentional.
    That wouldn't surprise me in the least. It does, however, go against the flow of the kind of good UI design SM's implemented elsewhere on their service.
    docwalker wrote:
    The done button is intended as "I am done arranging the photos".
    which becomes a problem for users who'll hit the 'back' button or close the window in order to avoid committing changes they don't want to keep, only to come back later and find out too late that the deed's already been done.
    docwalker wrote:
    I will put in a feature request to make this clearer, or possibly offer an undo option. thumb.gif
    Good UI design wouldn't commit the changes until the user hits a 'commit' button.

I hope this is reflected in future UI designs.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc