Mavericks

rhymanrhyman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 11, 2009 in Sports
I went to MAvericks this weekend and got some nice shots. Check them out here. Anyone else have something to share?? Rick

http://rickncheryl.smugmug.com/gallery/4161299#242973807

Comments

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Those are great! When I lived in the bay area I used to go watch Mavericks from the cliff when it was breaking. I'd heard the contest was held, but hadn't seen any pics yet... great stuff!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Nicely done!

I was thinking about heading down there, but realized that I wouldn't have gotten anything good unless I was on a boat!
  • J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    rhyman wrote:
    I went to MAvericks this weekend and got some nice shots. Check them out here. Anyone else have something to share?? Rick

http://rickncheryl.smugmug.com/gallery/4161299#242973807

Great stuff, I was waiting to see stuff so thanks for posting.

By the way, I am assuming you were on a boat or jet ski? What did that cost you? I heard some boats were asking about $250 for a trip out?

Would you do it again?
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Great shots, thanks for sharing them. I would have liked to have been there too. Here in So Cal, we had some nice waves but nothing like those!
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 14, 2008
    I think a boat ride would be the only way these days.

Cool stuff!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • rhymanrhyman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2008
    Boat
    I was on a boat. I did pay $270. It was worth ever penny. It was soo cool!!

Rick
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    rhyman wrote:
    I was on a boat. I did pay $270. It was worth ever penny. It was soo cool!!

Rick

I'd pay it as well...what a chance ! Nice stuff you got. Im am wanting to get down south to our 'shipsstern bluff' ...its the filthiest wave about. In the cold water at the bottom of Australia.
    edited January 15, 2008
    Big Wave Gus
    That is a great shot Gus. It is amazing when water does this. I have about 2000 shots from last weekend. These are not the best, they are good, but I need to go through everything to get the best. But some of them have the same effect that you captured in your shot where the water looks like a mountain, or a living creature. It is rare that you see water do what it does in the huge waves.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    eek7.gif omg. Wow those are amazing!! You're a lucky man. :D

I was in Ventura on Sat. Here's my post if you're interested (I mistakenly posted in Journeys):
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81402

btw- Do you process your photos?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    242715157-M.jpg

Nice shots.. Wasn't the water crowded with boats?

My best one.. album here

http://torags.smugmug.com/gallery/4157754#P-1-12
    Rags
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    edited January 18, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    eek7.gif omg. Wow those are amazing!! You're a lucky man. :D

I was in Ventura on Sat. Here's my post if you're interested (I mistakenly posted in Journeys):
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81402

btw- Do you process your photos?

These Mavericks shots were straight from the camera. no processing. But I usually shoot RAW and use lightroom. Sometimes DxO. My HDR shots I use Photomatix
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 6, 2009
    Anyone going this year? I'm itching to. What lens to take?
    edited December 6, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Anyone going this year? I'm itching to. What lens to take?

I'm going. I'll be on a boat. Don't know whether morning or afternoon, I'll wait until I get the tide info

Lens? if you're on a boat a 300mm w a 1.4 or the preferred DX with 70/200 & 1.4. The boats keep moving a little - there is a lot of traffic.

On land a 1300mm and good luck with that in foggy conditions... :D

Rags
    Rags
    edited December 6, 2009
    Hey Baldy, here's 500 from the cliff. Not sure you'll be able to get up there -- there has been some talk of closing that off to spectators. I'd think 500 is on the short side. So 600 or 800 at least.

428293184_ErKsz-L.jpg
    edited December 6, 2009
    Yup 500mm, Jeff Clark from bluff

210622043_6cp9R-L-1.jpg
    Rags
  • JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Yup 500mm, Jeff Clark from bluff

210622043_6cp9R-L-1.jpg

Darn, I was going to go today but wound up distracted with other things! Nice shot.
    edited December 6, 2009
    Not today Jacob (mine a couple of years ago)

I'm thinking Steamers will be good Tue & Wed when we get big water. I'm hoping it doesn't rain - that would be a bitch
    Rags
    edited December 7, 2009
    Lens
    torags wrote:
    I'm going. I'll be on a boat. Don't know whether morning or afternoon, I'll wait until I get the tide info

Lens? if you're on a boat a 300mm w a 1.4 or the preferred DX with 70/200 & 1.4. The boats keep moving a little - there is a lot of traffic.

On land a 1300mm and good luck with that in foggy conditions... :D

Rags

HI Rags. Ill be on the boat too. I am on the Am and the PM. Maybe I will see ya. Lens, I will be using a 400mm DO. It is perfect. I have an extender but I did not need it. The 300 f2.8 with and extender would be about the same. Im very excited. Hopefully soon.
    edited December 7, 2009
    rhyman wrote:
    HI Rags. Ill be on the boat too. I am on the Am and the PM. Maybe I will see ya. Lens, I will be using a 400mm DO. It is perfect. I have an extender but I did not need it. The 300 f2.8 with and extender would be about the same. Im very excited. Hopefully soon.

This mornings report indicates no rain for Tue/Wed (Ha! that can change); but so far so good...

I prefer the morning boat, the light is better, but the fog is thicker ne_nau.gif

A tip: Last time parking control started at 6am. I got there at 5:45am and got parking at the marina; you may have to take the shuttle later. If you got a wide 1.8 or 2.8 bring it. You may want to take low light pre launch shots.

I'll be carrying a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight (square bag); it's tough to miss. Hope to see you there

Your 400 will be good. Last time I had a 200/400 w 1.4.
    Rags
    edited December 7, 2009
    torags wrote:
    This mornings report indicates no rain for Tue/Wed (Ha! that can change); but so far so good...

I prefer the morning boat, the light is better, but the fog is thicker ne_nau.gif

A tip: Last time parking control started at 6am. I got there at 5:45am and got parking at the marina; you may have to take the shuttle later. If you got a wide 1.8 or 2.8 bring it. You may want to take low light pre launch shots.

I'll be carrying a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight (square bag); it's tough to miss. Hope to see you there

An update. There is a surfing event going on in Hawaii that will preclude Mavericks for a few top surfers, it's iffy if the Mav will go this week (from my source)
    Rags
    edited December 7, 2009
    torags wrote:
    An update. There is a surfing event going on in Hawaii that will preclude Mavericks for a few top surfers, it's iffy if the Mav will go this week (from my source)
    I heard that it was canceled due to an unfavorable southwest wind. A surfer friend of mine said they'll be out there and sent me this:

Tuesday 12/08
    FAIR
    SURF: 8-12 ft. - 3 ft. overhead to double overhead + occasionally 15 ft. and fair conditions.
    Somewhat of a slow start early; long period NW swell rapidly building through the afternoon, strongest late with larger waves; light NW winds due; small SW swell

Wednesday 12/09
    FAIR TO GOOD
    SURF: 15-18 ft. - triple overhead + occasionally 25 ft. and fair to good conditions.
    Solid WNW swell peaks; light to moderate E/SE winds; small SW swell; many breaks closed-out

Thursday 12/10
    FAIR TO GOOD
    SURF: 15-18 ft. - triple overhead + occasionally 20 ft. and fair to good conditions.
    Large WNW swell due to fade, strongest early; light ESE winds due; small SW swell

Friday 12/11
    POOR TO FAIR
    SURF: 8-10 ft. - 3 ft. overhead to double overhead occasionally 12 ft. and poor to fair conditions.
    Easing WNW swell with more SE winds due

Wednesday still looks like the day... I'm surprised they chose not to do the contest.
    edited December 8, 2009
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hey, I'm pretty good at video. Anyone shoot it from the boat or is it too rockity rock?
    edited December 8, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey, I'm pretty good at video. Anyone shoot it from the boat or is it too rockity rock?
    Too rocky. I bet if you rented something like this, it might work.
  • JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    torags wrote:

What time in the am do things get going?
    edited December 8, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

Pretty sure you'll get jelly. I don't use my monopod because of the rocking

"What time in the am do things get going?"

About 8:30am as best as I can remember. If you're going on a private boat, probably a good idea to pack a sandwich. The Mav boats supply a box lunch.

This was taken 8:50am in 2008 contest

242715058_DXfDe-M-3.jpg

this was the winner, who shared the prize money (top flight folks).

If you're going to shoot from the ridge. Consider the fog in the am you might not be able to get shots
    Rags
    edited December 8, 2009
    Looks like "the Eddy" is on, next Mavericks.

http://live.quiksilver.com/2009/bigwave/live.php?btn_live=_ove

That said, Steamers looks awful good for tomorrow. 19 - 28' swells, offshore wind 1-2 mph. Will anybody show up? Well it is Santa Cruz....

I'm up to my ears in work but I'm going to try to get down there.

Anybody else?
    Rags
    edited December 8, 2009
    torags wrote:

I'm up to my ears in work but I'm going to try to get down there.

Anybody else?

I'm pretty busy as well. Not sure I'll make it but maybe.
  • ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm pretty busy as well. Not sure I'll make it but maybe.

I'm watching the Eddie Aikau contest online, they just said everyone's leaving Hawaii tonight to go surf Mavericks tomorrow, so you guys gotta go and get some shots!
    Anna