A first attempt.

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Go Figure
1. 622618454_na4mE-L.jpg

618282313_GHT3R-L-1.jpg

618291636_cQfBd-L-1.jpg

4.618281754_WPvQE-L-1.jpg

Thanks
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Nice! Welcome to GF! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2009
    You seem to dominate this forum, Any dislikes with my shots?

Is anyone interested in seeing the rest from this shoot?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Nice work! I like the subtlety and abstractness.

Caroline
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited September 11, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Is anyone interested in seeing the rest from this shoot?

I would be interested. There haven't been all that many bodyscapes posted since we started this forum, which is a disappointment. These are very nice.
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    I would be interested. There haven't been all that many bodyscapes posted since we started this forum, which is a disappointment. These are very nice.

Ok, I'll look at posting them up, or should I just share the gallery? Its about 20 more pictures.

Here is a question maybe someone can answer, is there a site that defines all the different types of fine art/figure photography? Such as bodyscapes?
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Ok, I'll look at posting them up, or should I just share the gallery? Its about 20 more pictures.

Well, you could do both. Some people are lazy about clicking on links, and discussion usually goes better if we are all looking at the same pic. So I would suggest posting few more of your favorites and including a link to the gallery. deal.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    The body scapes are fantastic. Great job.
  • Options
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    You seem to dominate this forum, Any dislikes with my shots?
    Since you've asked: #3 is the one that I like the least...ne_nau.gif
    1) full frontal pose rarely beneficial for a female model
    2) "hands on the hips" is typically considered more like a masculine pose
    3) I said it many, many times already: shooting a standing up female model from a man's eye level is not generaly a good idea. You need to get no higher than *her" waist (or lower)
    4) With the edge lighting like that the inner part of her thighs/legs needs to be lit, too. Otherwise it all becomes one thick unattractive black void. I know, it's not a trivial task and it brings up some delicate and technical questions... But that's why shooting naked models properly is much more difficult that people tend to think :-)

Once again - good series, hope to see more in the future! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since you've asked: #3 is the one that I like the least...ne_nau.gif
    1) full frontal pose rarely beneficial for a female model
    2) "hands on the hips" is typically considered more like a masculine pose
    3) I said it many, many times already: shooting a standing up female model from a man's eye level is not generaly a good idea. You need to get no higher than *her" waist (or lower)
    4) With the edge lighting like that the inner part of her thighs/legs needs to be lit, too. Otherwise it all becomes one thick unattractive black void. I know, it's not a trivial task and it brings up some delicate and technical questions... But that's why shooting naked models properly is much more difficult that people tend to think :-)

Once again - good series, hope to see more in the future! thumb.gif

Thank you.

For that pose I was just seeing if I could outline her. I had her hands on her hips specifically to increase the 'surface area'. I would have loved to light her hair more and her thighs but I ran out of lights :( That was 6 speed lights to get that.

And yeah, none of that is really meant as an excuse. I'm just explaining how I fell into the trap.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Thank you.

For that pose I was just seeing if I could outline her. I had her hands on her hips specifically to increase the 'surface area'. I would have loved to light her hair more and her thighs but I ran out of lights :( That was 6 speed lights to get that.

And yeah, none of that is really meant as an excuse. I'm just explaining how I fell into the trap.
    The trick is to position one light *below*. if you have a good set of diffusers it's doable with three lights only. If not - yeah, 5..6 should be ok (two pairs on her sides as rim, one or two for the inner area in question)
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    The trick is to position one light *below*. if you have a good set of diffusers it's doable with three lights only. If not - yeah, 5..6 should be ok (two pairs on her sides as rim, one or two for the inner area in question)

I'd be really interested in how to do it with 3-4 speedlights. I have grids, snoots, gobos, and other modifiers. Which would you use. This was all grids because anything else caused spill or flare.

Thanks,
    John
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'd be really interested in how to do it with 3-4 speedlights. I have grids, snoots, gobos, and other modifiers. Which would you use. This was all grids because anything else caused spill or flare.

Thanks,
    John
    I don't use speedlights per se, I use a mix of AlienBees and Profotos. Which means I can typically use mach larger modifiers than any speedlights can handle. ne_nau.gif
    In a similar situation (edge lighting)
    http://nik.smugmug.com/photos/639171798_S7oEr-X3.jpg
    I used three lights:
    two AB800 with 2x4 diffusers as rims (they provide enough power fo cover the top)
    one AB400 with 30-degree gree below (behind the bench)

If I were limited to spedlights in your case (standing whole height) I would probablke put two pairs on each side (from my experience, one speedlight simply cannot provide a uniform lightining of the whole side of the body) and one below her, thus using 5 total and achieving the type of lighting I had in my example. Needless to say, you'd have to raise the model on a platform of a sort, henceforth having this platform also hiding the light.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't use speedlights per se, I use a mix of AlienBees and Profotos. Which means I can typically use mach larger modifiers than any speedlights can handle. ne_nau.gif
    In a similar situation (edge lighting)
    http://nik.smugmug.com/photos/639171798_S7oEr-X3.jpg
    I used three lights:
    two AB800 with 2x4 diffusers as rims (they provide enough power fo cover the top)
    one AB400 with 30-degree gree below (behind the bench)

When you are saying a 2x4 diffuser you are talking about a softbox right? I have AB800 and 400 and when I used the AB800 with a giant softbox I had a few issues

1. It's huge and took up lots of our room to work.
    2. I couldn't stop the light from going everywhere. I even put a flag on it to help.

I guess I could get the softbox grid they sell. But it still was too big for the room.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    When you are saying a 2x4 diffuser you are talking about a softbox right? I have AB800 and 400 and when I used the AB800 with a giant softbox I had a few issues

1. It's huge and took up lots of our room to work.
    2. I couldn't stop the light from going everywhere. I even put a flag on it to help.

I guess I could get the softbox grid they sell. But it still was too big for the room.

Oh, mine are with grids for sure. Purchased together. Softboxes without grids are just rectangular umbrellas, even worse . I only take the grids off when I use them in a high key setup.
    And yes, I do use flags, too.
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Oh, mine are with grids for sure. Purchased together. Softboxes without grids are just rectangular umbrellas, even worse . I only take the grids off when I use them in a high ley setup.

That explains it. Thanks
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Oh, mine are with grids for sure. Purchased together. Softboxes without grids are just rectangular umbrellas, even worse . I only take the grids off when I use them in a high key setup.

Nikolai,

When you say softbox with GRIDS... is this what you mean? If so, I take it that the grids work in the same fashion as the honeycomb grids to focus the light into a spot. So much to learn but I love it.

fobgridfinal.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Nikolai,
    When you say softbox with GRIDS... is this what you mean? If so, I take it that the grids work in the same fashion as the honeycomb grids to focus the light into a spot. So much to learn but I love it.
    Yeah, those. They are sometimes also called (egg)crates. The don't focus the light, but they prevent spillling, at least at large angles.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Pretty good John. What's up with the watermarking? Not necessary.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    What's up with the watermarking? Not necessary.
    If someone wants to put a watermark on a photo that's entirely up to him/her. If anything, you can say that you would have liked it differently, but to say it's not necessary is just plain rude.